• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1834 capped bust half dollar. Does this appear ok and Isn’t cleaned?
1 1

7 posts in this topic

I am considering purchasing this 1834 Capped Bust half dollar. Do you guys think it would be worth spending $100 on. Has it been cleaned,or anything that would make it undesirable? Cant see edge lettering in pictures. Reverse and obverse appears offset too.

761D6561-A817-4156-AE89-C3CC7C7978DA.jpeg

565EC528-84DF-4369-B6C9-D11AEDAD2354.jpeg

Edited by Mr.Bill347
Mispelling

I don’t know all that much about these coins and this is only my opinion, but just from comparing the two coins I see a few differences. I understand they are two different years, but I wouldn’t think there would be that many areas that differ from each other. I could be wrong. 

If you go to a coin show, or check the on-line listings of major coin dealers, I suspect you can find much nicer bust halves for $100. The 1833 is a cull and worth little more than melt.

Patience.

The '34 does look like it may have been cleaned, and the '33 has been holed and plugged. I would pass on both at $100. I would, however give $40 for the '34, and carry it as a pocket piece for a while, but that is just me.