• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Valuable?

24 posts in this topic

Yep, looks like Post Mint Damage (PMD). Possibly got caught in some sort of mechanism/machine causing the areas near the rime to wear like that. Just no way to know for sure, really, unless you were there when it happened. Good luck and keep looking, love it when coin collecting is a family thing.

19 hours ago, Jfantj said:

Thank you! He’s 13 and I’m looking for ways to engage with him away from a device!

Good luck with that. 

19 hours ago, Jfantj said:

Thank you! He’s 13 and I’m looking for ways to engage with him away from a device!

If there is a local coin club, that could be a good option depending on the club. Some have excellent YN programs and encourage the kids every chance they get. Often their contributions are worthy of any adult. At our last coin show before the pandemic, one of my most important helpers were a YN and his father. They did excellent work helping dealers with setup issues, getting the concierge to do this or that for us, and so on. At the end, I shook the kid's hand and said, "In case you are thinking I'm just patting you on your back to encourage you because you're a kid, not true. Fact is, you both made a major contribution to making this work well, and it had nothing to do with age. I want you both with me next year if you're willing to come." Pretty sure both father and son walked out feeling ten feet tall.

Question to the more seasoned grader folks in the room.  Any chance this would grade a P01, or would it come back "details"?  If it would grade, a collector would pay a premium for a "Low Ball" Set.  I am not creating one, but I know some who are.

Edited by The Neophyte Numismatist

49 minutes ago, The Neophyte Numismatist said:

Question to the more seasoned grader folks in the room.  Any chance this would grade a P01, or would it come back "details"?  If it would grade, a collector would pay a premium for a "Low Ball" Set.  I am not creating one, but I know some who are.

I think it would come back damaged. Also it doesn’t have a full date, so they wouldn’t assign it a grade...I think. Someone can correct me if I’m wrong. But I’m pretty sure a legible date is required. 

It is possible to get a grade on a coin that doesn't have a legible date, but it has to have some distinguishing feature or be a one year type that lets the date be determined.

On 3/16/2021 at 7:13 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

There is no reason why any coin minted in just the last decade should look like this.

Whether it is worth ten cents depends on who would accept it. 

You all know I roll hunt and it is scary how many of the new coins are all worn out already. The metal is so soft everything gets nicked and scratched, sad truth may be there will be no cherry picking in the future for coin hunters.   

42 minutes ago, J P Mashoke said:

You all know I roll hunt and it is scary how many of the new coins are all worn out already. The metal is so soft everything gets nicked and scratched, sad truth may be there will be no cherry picking in the future for coin hunters.   

I am truly amazed that coin roll hunting bears any fruit at all even today.

8 minutes ago, VKurtB said:

My son and I have been roll hunting for about three months now and all we’ve found is a 2019 W Massachusetts quarter 😂

2 minutes ago, Jfantj said:

My son and I have been roll hunting for about three months now and all we’ve found is a 2019 W Massachusetts quarter 😂

Nice! Hope it was a pretty one.

On 3/18/2021 at 7:17 AM, VKurtB said:

I got caught up in coin roll hunting last year. Looking back, it was a waste of time. My best finds have all been in pocket change.

4 minutes ago, Jfantj said:

In all honesty, I don’t care if it wastes time because at least I’m spending it with my 13-year-old son.

It is great that you are spending your time with your son. Enjoy!

I took my son to his first ANA summer convention when he was 15. Boston 2010. By 2014 he was taking his first Exhibit Judge qualification class, unsuccessfully. He passed a year and a half later at Ft. Lauderdale FUN. He is an ANA certified judge in European coinage.

33 minutes ago, VKurtB said:

I took my son to his first ANA summer convention when he was 15. Boston 2010. By 2014 he was taking his first Exhibit Judge qualification class, unsuccessfully. He passed a year and a half later at Ft. Lauderdale FUN. He is an ANA certified judge in European coinage.

Wow, that is great! I just got the email that the Long Beach Expo has been cancelled.