• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Regarding reichsmarks
1 1

12 posts in this topic

I can respect the fact that some people might find it objectionable, but, as others have said, it's a coin and this is a place for talking about coin collecting.

Personally, I love German war eagles - which are often on their coins. I think they're awesome designs. I like those old stylized war eagles a lot more than I like some of what has been on US coinage in the last 70 years. That doesn't mean I like anything that happened in Europe in the mid-1940s.

4 hours ago, Chickenswoup said:

Went to a local coin expo today, found some really nice condition 2 RMs along with some East Germany marks and pfennigs 

I had a chat a year or so ago with a no-longer-active board member about the fact that a few years ago these went through a bit of a run-up interest / mini-bubble and then they came back down after a while.

They're interesting to look at - I have some of the more modern pre-Euro coins but none of those and I have wanted some at various points in time. I may yet buy some just for conversation pieces with my sons as they get older. If you get into it you can get into a lot of fun with the different "marks" over the years with Marks from pre-German Prussia, the German gold mark, the paper mark, the mark of Weimar Germany, the Reichmark and the Mark of post-WWI Germany (my spelling fails me at the moment). I think the thing I'd most enjoy collecting seriously would be the hyperinflation notes from the Weimar Republic period.

Edited by Revenant

22 minutes ago, GoldFinger1969 said:

Are Nazi-era coins popular in Germany, anybody know ?

I think anything nazi related is banned in Germany - so maybe the coins too. They don't seem to mess around with this subject. 

Edited by Revenant

On 3/14/2021 at 6:37 PM, Revenant said:

I think anything nazi related is banned in Germany - so maybe the coins too. They don't seem to mess around with this subject. 

[It is still a sensitive subject that is openly discussed behind closed doors by the few surviving war veterans of the period who, despite the losses and devastation, are still unapologetically loyal to the old order no different from those who participated in campaigns waged by Stalin, Pol pot and the empire of Japan.]