1958 proof penny
6 6

116 posts in this topic

On 7/26/2021 at 10:18 PM, Coinbuf said:

Well your photos from the op are missing so I cannot give any opinion on if you do or do not have a DDO, although the odds are against it.   As to your question you have to determine the value of the coin yourself and enter it on the submission form.   This determines the grading tier and the shipping insurance that NGC will charge when it is returned to you.   If you are 100% sure that you have a valuable coin then use the earlybird tier (up to $3,000 in value).   As you are claiming this to be a DDO have you checked to see if NGC will authenticate the DDO you believe you have?   There are many minor DDO/DDR and varieties that NGC does not authenticate.   As far as I can tell NGC does not list any 1958 proof coins in the list of variety proof coins that they will authenticate.   Here is a link to the Lincoln cent proof varieties that are attributed. List of approved proof varieties

Thank u I wasnt aware of that I know under the pcgs price guide it had 1958 ddo ms64+ $336,000 and it used to say if u had a ms65 estimated value was $500,000.its not on there anymore.u would think they'd be able to just tell u if it's a ddo or not that us what they do.dang.maybe I should send it in to pcgs

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/29/2021 at 11:18 AM, Melissa6456 said:

Thank u I wasnt aware of that I know under the pcgs price guide it had 1958 ddo ms64+ $336,000 and it used to say if u had a ms65 estimated value was $500,000.its not on there anymore.u would think they'd be able to just tell u if it's a ddo or not that us what they do.dang.maybe I should send it in to pcgs

What coinbuf was trying to inform you of is there often times isn’t a single DDO for a given year/mint of a coin. Some may be minor and not recognized, while others are. There are many minor varieties that neither NGC or PCGS will attribute because it is simply too minor. You can check NGC variety plus to see if you think you have a coin matching one you believe you have, and coinbuf was nice enough to include a link. We tell people this a lot that just because something is different doesn’t necessarily mean it’s special. It needs to be a variety that is appealing to collectors to have any added value. NGC can certainly tell you if it is/is not a variety they attribute if you submit it. It isn’t a lack of knowledge or willingness, it’s a matter of is it a deserving variety. 

If you can post clear pictures closely cropped front and back of the coin there are plenty of members here that can tell you what you have.  I will say the second someone tells you they have something extremely rare and special your level of concern should go to defcon 1. Be very skeptical of rare and special coins  

Also kurt’s response was to another guy who said he didn’t know jack about coins. Kurt humorously said he could introduce him to Jack and was not in response to anything you said. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Also I see you are in Alabama. Small world. I’m in Tuscaloosa if you are in the area and need any help with submitting or looking at your coin. Not a lot of coin dealers around I would trust as reputable experts just FYI. I haven’t talked to one in the area yet that knows much at all about grading and varieties. They can read slabs is about all. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/29/2021 at 9:18 AM, Melissa6456 said:

Thank u I wasnt aware of that I know under the pcgs price guide it had 1958 ddo ms64+ $336,000 and it used to say if u had a ms65 estimated value was $500,000.its not on there anymore.u would think they'd be able to just tell u if it's a ddo or not that us what they do.dang.maybe I should send it in to pcgs

You are looking at the price guide for MS (mint state) coins not proofs, neither NGC or PCGS list any census data for a DDO proof 1958 Lincoln cent because one does not exist.  While its possible the odds are extremely against you having the one and only DDO 1958 proof; basically you have better odds of winning the lottery,.   Its your choice and you can spend the money to send it anywhere you want but in my opinion you will just be wasting your money.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/29/2021 at 11:08 AM, Melissa6456 said:

I bought my 1958 proof already in the slab along with a 1979 proof and a 1963

What was the 1958’s grade?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/29/2021 at 11:18 AM, Melissa6456 said:

Thank u I wasnt aware of that I know under the pcgs price guide it had 1958 ddo ms64+ $336,000 and it used to say if u had a ms65 estimated value was $500,000.its not on there anymore.u would think they'd be able to just tell u if it's a ddo or not that us what they do.dang.maybe I should send it in to pcgs

No Melissa, that “us” (is) NOT what they do. You have to state which special variety you think it is at the beginning. They will NOT check for you, aside from a few very popular obvious ones. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

One minor observation... I believe we have all had that experience where before you've had a chance to compose your thoughts (and hunt-and-peck, as I do) two, three -- sometimes more members have already chimed in virtually destroying any continuity the thread could have had. I believe this is what may have happened here. Note to posters: if you've received a message that another member responded to the thread you are working on, it's best to tap on the notification and check it out before continuing on. Don't worry, your thoughts in progress will be saved and it may even give you a chance to re-word your response.  In any event, let's all try to be a little more accommodating to both newts and newbies. 🐓

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/29/2021 at 12:02 PM, Melissa6456 said:

I have more knowledge than u think

doh! Where have I heard that one before?  Must have been on the 'Inside' edition.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@Alex in PA.  C'mon Alex. She just walked in through the door.  If I, a mere chiffonnier, am willing to give her the benefit of the doubt, so should you. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/29/2021 at 9:04 PM, VKurtB said:

Folks who repeatedly use “u” instead of “you” don’t strike me as having any particular amount of knowledge at all. Another victim of the “treasure hunter” mindset is all I see here. “I think I might have a half million dollar coin!” As the ANA’s Sam Gelberd (Young Numismatist Programs Director) said in his recent educational program, “Oh, No It Ain’t!”  The ANA doesn’t do a program like that because there isn’t a problem. 

I watched that webcast. I found it interesting. He wasn’t the best presenter of many of the ANA webinars I have joined lately, but it was good. 
 

If any newer collectors, or established collectors that still have a desire to learn, are interested I have really enjoyed several of the ANA webinars lately. They are often scheduled during the lunch hour and it’s easy to watch and eat your lunch. If you want to learn there is good stuff out there and I think these are helpful. Just my opinion and PSA 😁

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/29/2021 at 10:04 PM, VKurtB said:

Folks who repeatedly use “u” instead of “you” don’t strike me as having any particular amount of knowledge at all. 

The computer doesn't lend itself to formal letter-writing.  If I am not mistaken, you yourself have used IMHO and a whole spectrum of acronyms. It seems to have superseded Pittman's shorthand. The King's English is long gone. I assumed a troll was simply a friendly gremlin who resided under a bridge. How was I to know differently?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/30/2021 at 4:17 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

The computer doesn't lend itself to formal letter-writing.  If I am not mistaken, you yourself have used IMHO and a whole spectrum of acronyms. It seems to have superseded Pittman's shorthand. The King's English is long gone. I assumed a troll was simply a friendly gremlin who resided under a bridge. How was I to know differently?

No attempt at spelling. No attempt at capitalization. No attempt at punctuation. Who does she think she is? e e cummings?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/31/2021 at 1:54 PM, VKurtB said:

Who does she think she is? e e cummings?

Why not.  On this forum one name is as good as another.  Eh?

"And now Rubicon posts as Detector Kay who posted as Patelnumis who posted as Rocky100 who posted as Robylu52……"

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/31/2021 at 12:54 PM, VKurtB said:

No attempt at spelling. No attempt at capitalization. No attempt at punctuation. Who does she think she is? e e cummings?

I can actually spell very well and can use punctuations.guve it a rest already. Yesterday was my bday and I'm just trying to make the best of it

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/31/2021 at 1:24 PM, Melissa6456 said:

I can actually spell very well and can use punctuations.guve it a rest already. Yesterday was my bday and I'm just trying to make the best of it

My bad give it a rest I'm still half asleep

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/29/2021 at 11:44 AM, Woods020 said:

What coinbuf was trying to inform you of is there often times isn’t a single DDO for a given year/mint of a coin. Some may be minor and not recognized, while others are. There are many minor varieties that neither NGC or PCGS will attribute because it is simply too minor. You can check NGC variety plus to see if you think you have a coin matching one you believe you have, and coinbuf was nice enough to include a link. We tell people this a lot that just because something is different doesn’t necessarily mean it’s special. It needs to be a variety that is appealing to collectors to have any added value. NGC can certainly tell you if it is/is not a variety they attribute if you submit it. It isn’t a lack of knowledge or willingness, it’s a matter of is it a deserving variety. 

If you can post clear pictures closely cropped front and back of the coin there are plenty of members here that can tell you what you have.  I will say the second someone tells you they have something extremely rare and special your level of concern should go to defcon 1. Be very skeptical of rare and special coins  

Also kurt’s response was to another guy who said he didn’t know jack about coins. Kurt humorously said he could introduce him to Jack and was not in response to anything you said. 

Thank u ubdeestaoid that about the proof coins I took some more pics I'm getting a better camera. Today maybe these will help 

IMG_3981.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/31/2021 at 1:39 PM, Melissa6456 said:

Thank u ubdeestaoid that about the proof coins I took some more pics I'm getting a better camera. Today maybe these will help 

IMG_3981.jpg

 

20210730_131253.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It’s a nice average 1958 proof cent. Nothing remarkable, really.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Are all of the areas I circled just reflections/dust on the 2x2 Mylar, or are these places on the coin? If those are in the coin it’s going to be a below average proof. But hopefully its just dust on the 2x2. 

17D128F4-30DF-423A-A16B-45324543F8A9.jpeg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/29/2021 at 11:48 AM, Woods020 said:

Also I see you are in Alabama. Small world. I’m in Tuscaloosa if you are in the area and need any help with submitting or looking at your coin. Not a lot of coin dealers around I would trust as reputable experts just FYI. I haven’t talked to one in the area yet that knows much at all about grading and varieties. They can read slabs is about all. 

I live in such a small town there aren't really any coin dealers around hear and not qualified if telling u anything lol

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/1/2021 at 10:49 AM, Woods020 said:

Are all of the areas I circled just reflections/dust on the 2x2 Mylar, or are these places on the coin? If those are in the coin it’s going to be a below average proof. But hopefully its just dust on the 2x2. 

17D128F4-30DF-423A-A16B-45324543F8A9.jpeg

Its dust

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/1/2021 at 11:31 AM, Melissa6456 said:

It just says pr.those are dust particles 

Yes, with paper / cardboard, that is almost unavoidable. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/1/2021 at 11:49 AM, Woods020 said:

Are all of the areas I circled just reflections/dust on the 2x2 Mylar, or are these places on the coin? If those are in the coin it’s going to be a below average proof. But hopefully its just dust on the 2x2. 

17D128F4-30DF-423A-A16B-45324543F8A9.jpeg

@Woods020  Hate to sound like one of those Gypsy fortune-tellers, but if it all boils down to Mylar, there's only one, actually two ways, to find out for sure:  1-  Gently tap the side of the holder closest to the void gently on its edge to ascertain whether the "cosmic chatter" migrates, or is on the coin, or, if inconclusive : 2-  elect to take the more intrusive path and carefully remove the coin from its holder. 🐓

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
6 6