• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1943 copper penny
1 1

66 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, Quintus Arrius said:

I still don't know if the 1856 Flying Eagle cent is a pattern, a coin, or both.

Well they were made in 1856, but the design wasn't approved until Feb of 1857, so I would call them a pattern.

2 hours ago, Sharann said:

Personally, as long as I know what you are talking about, I don't care what they are called, but then again I like to I choose my battles.

The problem comes when different people use different terms and it can confuse newbies who DON'T know what we are talking about.  It's just better to use proper terms and start people off right so they don't have to "unlearn" things later.

So here we are... The prefix cent means 100th, or one part of 100,right? So, in my mind, one cent is the amount equivalent to one hundredth of one dollar. Its physical symbol just happens to be what we coined as the penny. Had we coined the nickel to be that equivalence, then it could also be a cent. So I said all that to say this, IMHSO, I feel as though cents are values and pennies, nickels, etc. are symbols of such values. 

Now you're getting me confused.  :)

4 minutes ago, Conder101 said:

Well they were made in 1856, but the design wasn't approved until Feb of 1857, so I would call them a pattern.

The problem comes when different people use different terms and it can confuse newbies who DON'T know what we are talking about.  It's just better to use proper terms and start people off right so they don't have to "unlearn" things later.

Now you're getting me confused.  :)

I am so sorry. I do have a knack for that, especially when I am trying to text/type cause my mind is doing laps around my fingers. 

I totally agree with the proper terminology from the start because it is so hard to unlearn ANYTHING. I was just saying that I understand cent to be a value, with no physical characteristics but the penny to be a physical symbol given to represent that value. I'm sorry I went around the world to say that before but if you'd seen all that was in my head while I was typing you'd thank me for the short version, lol. 

but if you'd seen all that was in my head while I was typing you'd thank me for the short version, lol. 

[Warning - Attempted humor!]

If you will plug one end of your earbud into an ear and the other directly into a standard 110v wired electric circuit, the house wiring will act as a huge antenna and we can all see what's going in there....or did I see that on the "SnoozeMax" show about the Jewish space yarmulke with attached laser fire-starting scroll? So hard to tell these days.....

:)

Edited by RWB

43 minutes ago, RWB said:

[Warning - Attempted humor!]

If you will plug one end of your earbud into an ear and the other directly into a standard 110v wired electric circuit, the house wiring will act as a huge antenna and we can all see what's going in there....or did I see that on the "SnoozeMax" show about the Jewish space yarmulke with attached laser fire-starting scroll? So hard to tell these days.....

:)

Oh, gosh, talk about being confused... I'd love to see how some people I know would actually deal with all that unorganized chaos in there. They'd probably all steer clear of me then, lol

6 hours ago, Sharann said:

I just can't help it. I have got to put in my two "cents" 🤣... 

I feel as though cents are values and pennies, nickels, etc. are symbols of such values.... I am headed to town. 

"Values... and symbols of values." That's all there was to it?  And the 1943.  What about the 1943 copper whatchamacallit?  And what does the OP make of all this???  

1 hour ago, Quintus Arrius said:

"Values... and symbols of values." That's all there was to it?  And the 1943.  What about the 1943 copper whatchamacallit?  And what does the OP make of all this???  

I really don't know because I am still waiting on him to answer my question as to the whereabouts of the 1943 wanna be penny worth one cent 😂. We will just have to put your question in que.