• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Error or damage? 2002 quarter
1 1

33 posts in this topic

So do we think this is worth having graded and try to sell on an auction or is it just a collector coin for rare errors? I haven't seen many coins that have feeder damage  all over the entire back has anyone else?

57 minutes ago, DonnaJo said:

So do we think this is worth having graded and try to sell on an auction or is it just a collector coin for rare errors? I haven't seen many coins that have feeder damage  all over the entire back has anyone else?

As I stated before, these look like annealing lines. They are not feeder lines. If they were feeder lines, they would be raised lines, these are just colored lines. Correct me if I'm wrong. Also, it is not a rare error coin. In my opinion, not worth grading at all. Just a cool keeper. 

I think the comment about how it looked like a "woodie" was on the right track.  And incomplete mixing of the alloy in one of the clad layer that was then stretched out into streaks in the rolling process.  Then the non-homogenous alloy developed differentiated toning.  On a copper cent or a nickel five cent it affects both sides because the coin is one solid piece.  But the clad coin is three pieces so it is possible for just one side to be affected.