1922 $1
1 1

9 posts in this topic

11 hours ago, Mr.Bill347 said:

I just had a 1922 graded MS63 and it’s worth about 50 bucks

The value mentioned is ONLY if the coin is uncirculated with minimal distracting marks. The photos are not of sufficient quality to determine much about condition.

'22 (Philadelphia) are the most common of the series.  And least valuable.  Peace dollar are weird in that the tend to get more valuable as you get to the more recent dates in the series.  Probably due to the decreased demand, and therefore production, for silver dollars.  Of course the '21 is the exception to that rule.  As they were only minted for a couple months.

Most years the D (Denver) and S (San Francisco) mint marks are more valuable.  I think the only year that isn't true is '28.  

Toning makes it a little tough to grade from a pic.  Obverse looks pretty good.  Reverse looks to have a little wear at the wing part closest to the head.  Never really sure what to call that.  Elbow?  So prob AU.  With this common of a date it's prob only $5-10 over melt.  I'm also thinking there might be an old cleaning under the toning.  Which would mean only worth melt.

On the plus side.  It does have some colorful toning.  Not really my thing.  But there is a growing demand for what's called "rainbow toning".  So much so, that people have start to artificially tone coins to make more money.  Yours is natural.  To the right buyer you may get 50% to 100% more.  Or if that's the kind of thing you like, keep it as a nice uniquely colorful piece.

I haven't seen it in a long while, but it used to be quite common for newbie to come around asking about their "error" peace dollars that had a V instead of a U. (Strangely I have never seen them ask about their "error" standing liberty quarters that had a V's instead of U's.)

I have agree with MRBill347 and JT2's comments. There was the sound for the letter we call U, but it didn't look like U. It looked like V. The Classical Latin alphabet had only 23 letters, not the 26 that we have today. Similarly the sound of W looks like a double V and there is no soft C sound as we know it today, the letter C is pronounced as the letter K.  Those darn Romans!  I do love the look it adds to the Peace Dollars though.