• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1798 Draped Bust Large Cent

12 posts in this topic

I am so excited to have found this forum and to be able to tap into the knowledge and experience of the members here.  My next newbie question is around grading.  I have a 1798 Draped Bust Large Cent for which I have been trying to estimate a grade based on information in 'The Official American Numismatic Grading Standards for United States Coins'.  By my very inexperienced eye I am seeing characteristics of this coin which span several grades.  Here's my question - when a coin exhibits described characteristics that span multiple grade descriptions, how does one decide on the best grading estimate?  Also, I would be happy to get any opinions as to the actual grade of this coin.  Thanks to all!!

1798 Draped Bust Large Cent_Ob.jpg

1798 Draped Bust Large Cent_Re.jpg

Far as I am concerned, the coin has to meet all the grade requirements on both sides. I don't believe in split grades as an ultimate outcome, nor averaged net grades. I would say that one has an F-12 obverse, arguably, and a VG-8 reverse (can't make out much in the way of ribs in the leaves). Overall, thus, VG-8. Perhaps VG-10, since there are at least the faint vertical divots of a few leaves visible. I don't see how it gets less than 8, and I see no way it gets 12. Nice piece. Maybe someone who is more of an enthusiast will shovel around in Penny Whimsy and find the die marriage, which is possible thanks to some of the most excellent photography I've ever seen here.

That is the 2nd hairstyle, Small 8, Style 2 lettering, Reverse of 1797. That narrows it down to 19 (I think) die marriages. Breen 40 ( Sheldon 187 or Bowers-Whitman 54) is the only one that I could find on which the top left berry droops like that.

9 hours ago, Just Bob said:

That is the 2nd hairstyle, Small 8, Style 2 lettering, Reverse of 1797. That narrows it down to 19 (I think) die marriages. Breen 40 ( Sheldon 187 or Bowers-Whitman 54) is the only one that I could find on which the top left berry droops like that.

Thank you very much!

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

Listings for the second hairstyle commence with S-165 and go through S-188. You may try to attribute your cent here:

https://www.ngccoin.com/variety-plus/united-states/cents/draped-bust-cents-1796-1807/?page=1

7 hours ago, DWLange said:

Listings for the second hairstyle commence with S-165 and go through S-188. You may try to attribute your cent here:

https://www.ngccoin.com/variety-plus/united-states/cents/draped-bust-cents-1796-1807/?page=1

I apologize. I should have given credit where credit was due. The pictures on NGC's Variety Plus page were the pictures that I used to try to attribute this coin. 

Just Bob got it, it is an early die stage of S-187 that drooping top left inner berry is diagnostic  It is an early stage because the arc die crack through TY  down to about 4:00 is very faint but can be seen from the middle of the T to the foot of Y.

4 hours ago, Conder101 said:

Just Bob got it, it is an early die stage of S-187 that drooping top left inner berry is diagnostic  It is an early stage because the arc die crack through TY  down to about 4:00 is very faint but can be seen from the middle of the T to the foot of Y.

Thank you for that confirmation. I was hoping you would see this thread and respond, because I wasn't 100 percent sure.

The book said there was a die crack, and the Variety Plus pictures showed a crack, but I could not see it at all on the OP's coin. Now that you pointed it out, I can see it on my big monitor. (thumbsu