• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New book out in a while - includes Saudi gold discs

27 posts in this topic

FYI - The ATS thread is: https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1052361/u-s-mint-philadelphia-u-s-a

The OP, Weiss, notes: "Love how mine has battle scars. I'd like to think that it saw use in the Souq Al-Zal, tossed back and forth between gold jewelers and rug sellers in the late 1940s like something from an Indiana Jones movie."

While theatrically romantic, the marks on his illustrated gold disc were on the planchet when struck.Many marks end abruptly at the stamped designs.

Edited by RWB

To give members here a "leg up" (as in horse talk) on the Saudi discs, the Philadelphia Mint produced the discs to specifications. But, it was the State Department that was in charge....And the oil concessions had nothing to do with the gold pieces.

7 minutes ago, RWB said:

The overall theme relates to the interwar and WW-II period.

I love reading history around that time period. I'll give it a read soon as it's released. 

2 hours ago, Hoghead515 said:

I love reading history around that time period. I'll give it a read soon as it's released. 

Drafts have gone out to contributors for their review - this helps ensure they are quoted and credited correctly.

1 minute ago, RWB said:

Drafts have gone out to contributors for their review - this helps ensure they are quoted and credited correctly.

How much longer till it's available for purchase 

Just now, Hoghead515 said:

How much longer till it's available for purchase 

Typically it takes about a month to print and ship a new book to the distributor (Wizard Coin Supply). The print quantity is small, so the book has to wait for a slow day at the printer's factory - basic it's space available printing. Shipping is 2-3 days, then then the distributor has to get it into their inventory system and photos/description posted.

Before all of this, I have to register the new book with Books in Print and the Library of Congress, Copyright Office, get an ISBN number, and generate a barcode for this and the book's retail price. These things ensure that any book seller now or in the future can locate the book. (Any book without and ISBN number effectively vanishes after printing.)

1 minute ago, RWB said:

Typically it takes about a month to print and ship a new book to the distributor (Wizard Coin Supply). The print quantity is small, so the book has to wait for a slow day at the printer's factory - basic it's space available printing. Shipping is 2-3 days, then then the distributor has to get it into their inventory system and photos/description posted.

Before all of this, I have to register the new book with Books in Print and the Library of Congress, Copyright Office, get an ISBN number, and generate a barcode for this and the book's retail price. These things ensure that any book seller now or in the future can locate the book. (Any book without and ISBN number effectively vanishes after printing.)

Awsome man. Can't wait to read it. I'll have to hit wizard up for another autographed copy if you are going to sign any. Be happy to read it and add it to the collection. 

11 hours ago, Hoghead515 said:

Awsome man. Can't wait to read it. I'll have to hit wizard up for another autographed copy if you are going to sign any. Be happy to read it and add it to the collection. 

Wizard will have autographed copies available at no extra charge. I typically sign 2 or 3 cases at one time. When they get low, I sign some more. A lot of buyers don't care for the signatures, so most copies are kept in the original shrink wrap. Hobby book buyers are very particular about the condition of the books and will return a copy for minor flaws such as a scuff on the spine or partially opened shrink wrap. That's OK. The returns are donated to libraries and clubs.

22 minutes ago, RWB said:

Wizard will have autographed copies available at no extra charge. I typically sign 2 or 3 cases at one time. When they get low, I sign some more. A lot of buyers don't care for the signatures, so most copies are kept in the original shrink wrap. Hobby book buyers are very particular about the condition of the books and will return a copy for minor flaws such as a scuff on the spine or partially opened shrink wrap. That's OK. The returns are donated to libraries and clubs.

That don't bother me none. That just gives them character. I'd rather have the authors signature on them. Makes the book a whole lot more special. Can show my grandkids one of these days and tell them how I talked to the guy who wrote it and signed it. 

Thanks. I'll take a closer look. It's kind of fun to see that various permutations and variations people cook up when they have just one old, incorrect, story to repeat and repeat.

5 minutes ago, DWLange said:

I have it on good authority that they were made to ransom the sultan's daughter.

When you think about it, it's fascinating:  a specially made coin/pattern for a key trading partner.  I'm surprised that even in the 1940's the Saudis didn't "trust" the U.S. dollar.  It's not like it was some Austro-Hungarian or German currency which had been subject to astronomical moves down and hyperinflation.

I never knew about this coin until Roger posted about it.

The true story makes sense - the 70-year old fable does not.

RE: "...ransom the sultan's daughter." You mean the one nicknamed "beaqib aljamal (camel butt)" ? That was the Sultan of Brunei's daughter.

Edited by RWB

On 5/6/2021 at 9:05 PM, GoldFinger1969 said:

Thanks for the link. I examined the piece and ended up buying it for research. The quality is much higher than most of these and details indicate the dies had been little used at the time this piece was made. For any originals to have survived this long is remarkable. Most of the disc was not altered by the dies, so planchet condition prior to striking is very important in the overall grade - that is, much like Indian half eagles and quarter eagles, appearance and condition depend on the planchet, not striking detail. Notice the rounding of upper surfaces on the reverse (except 235), and bright smooth fields between reverse letters, and in unreticulated parts of the obverse (closed centers of letters A, D, P.) The obverse die had also been used on some 4-sovereign pieces made earlier.

2110162374_WC_CCO_ARAMCO_gold_Apr27obe.jpg.b8960295124ce78d4775acacdff67a95.jpg

Edited by RWB

PS: I've delayed the book until late fall. Too many uncertainties in printing, shipping and other details, and I don't want to rush into publication. The ISBN is reserved.

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

I'm looking forward to it.

I've finally finished reading the last of the books that were ahead of your most recent issue (the 3F book), and I'm going to start it in the next day or two.

11 hours ago, 1946Hamm said:

I have a couple of the discs and would like the book. Let us know when it's available.

Gary

Do you have both sizes?

Those are very nice. The 4-sovereign pieces are more frequently encountered than 1-sovereign. The discs did not really circulate as "coins" but were used in broker and bank transactions to give the Kingdom more value for their gold. Grading has got to be a little goofy since the planchet got no special treatment and was usually scratched and marred before striking.

Edited by RWB