• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

NGC Green Label
2 2

89 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, Quintus Arrius said:

Yes, and they are languishing in countries where the certification craze is still in its infancy, driven largely by U.S. market collector demand.

Warning, “hood” rap approaches: Troo dat. If COVID ever allows me to return to the UK and the continent, I’ll collect business cards of show dealers with great looking “CM’s” for you. France is on the next agenda, with more time in London.

Edited by VKurtB

4 minutes ago, VKurtB said:

Warning, “hood” rap approaches: Troo dat. If COVID ever allows me to return to the UK and the continent, I’ll collect business cards of show dealers with great looking “CM’s” for you. France is on the next agenda, with more time in London.

Very considerate of you.

What are the total mintages of the Coq Marianne? What are the (overstated) NGC/PCGS populations? I’d bet a ridiculously small portion are in plastic, far lower than, say, Saints. Maybe even lower than Swiss 20Fr of the same era.

Edited by VKurtB

34 minutes ago, VKurtB said:

What are the total mintages of the Coq Marianne? What are the (overstated) NGC/PCGS populations? I’d bet a ridiculously small portion are in plastic, far lower than, say, Saints. Maybe even lower than Swiss 20Fr of the same era.

As low as 615,000 in 1900. As high as 17.7 million in 1907. The total mintage for the entire series, 16 coins, is 117.45 million.  

The "original" Roosters were minted from 1899 to 1906.  The "restrikes" were dated 1907 to 1914 but minted after WWII. (Don't ask.)

The combined comparatively "ridiculously small" TPGS populations are a few hundred in Mint State grade with an invisible wall at MS-64 for the originals and MS-66 for the restrikes, beyond which -- not to exaggerate -- the number certified can be counted on two hands, but most on just one.

Tellingly, there are four times as many set registrants at PCGS than at NGC but I suspect that is because PCGS nailed down the European market where most of the original Roosters reside. I think it fair to say while many collectors have only one or two coins in their collections, only one other person has completed a set with many unable or unwilling to deal with European sources at noticeably higher prices which necessarily involve conversion of dollars to euros and the real risk and possible expense of a glitch in transport, a bank wire that may go awry or impoundment by Customs.  

Might I add, all done blindly solely on the strength of representation, reputation and faith nothing will go wrong. Parties you have never met; coins you have never had an opportunity to examine. Definitely not for the faint of heart.

3 hours ago, GoldFinger1969 said:

Any books or articles on these Roosters for beginners ?  Sort of a .... Roosters For DummiesxD

Unfortunately, if there are, I have not found any.  I suspect if I did it would long out-of-print -- and written in French. 😂

1 hour ago, Wayde Milas said:

So as a rule I never post to Forums as I try not to influence the market, but I just ran across this thread. Its important enough that I registered here to answer. The powers that be can verify my account.

To answer some questions:

Green Label is an attempt by RARCOA to create a product that is multi-pronged. I'll speak first to the wholesale side which we specialize in. The issue today is that we have a sight seen, and a sight unseen market. Years ago most coins traded "sight unseen" as the grading services were new and coins were graded conservatively as a whole. As time went on there were more and more coins that although technically deserved the grade they possessed, were hard for retailers to sell. Over time the market shifted to a "sight seen" market. We and other wholesalers would only honor bids after we saw the material.

Many might not believe this but wholesalers DO care about what the coins look like. We have to spend a large amount of time now sorting through hundreds of daily incoming packages determining which category the coins fall into regardless of their assigned grades. This takes time. Wholesaler's margins are much much tighter than what most people believe. Wasting time sorting material causes inventory backup, delayed delivery, ect. What RARCOA needs is a product that it KNOWS meets its standards. Enter Green Label. We will make UNSEEN buy/sell spreads on Green Labels. Forever. Since we submitted every Green Label, we know they meet our quality standards for retail. We don't have to spend time checking them in except for physical holder inspection.

Will CAC green sticker Green Labels? That's up to CAC. CAC has stated in conversations we have had that they have no issue doing so as long as they meet CAC standards. Keep in mind Green Label and CAC are NOT the same thing. I fully expect there are Green Labels that do not meet CAC standards, and there are CAC coins that do not meet our Green Label standards. They serve a different purpose and that's OK.

So what's the difference between Green Label and the various NGC labels. You'll notice the Green Label has no pictures. No gimmicks. Its exactly like the Brown Label, except Green. That was done on purpose. Its simply there to signify we were the submitter and we will stand by the coin with our bid/ask system. There are no "qualifiers" currently to the Green Label as it is not intended for modern. Its a simple and clean.

Is Green Label better than Brown? That's tricky to answer. There are Brown Labels that we will not put into Green which technically grade much higher than some Greens which we holder. Technically that Brown is a better coin. But it's not retail friendly. Therefore it does not qualify for a Green Label. For example take a MS 63 Pre 21 Morgan. It's got great luster, fields are super clean. Reverse is a 65. But the face has a giant reed mark. Technically its a 63.8. It won't make Green because of the face. So it is not fair to say one is better than the other. They are different products.

Why did you go with a new label and not use a sticker. Multipart answer here. First CAC does a great job with the stickers. We don't want slabs to start looking like NASCAR cars. Secondly we wanted a more permanent solution. Stickers fall off, become marred, ect. Third we don't want to charge for the holder. By that mean we don't want to charge a grading fee. It's not what we do nor who we are. NGC does a great job with that service. If we had stickers and they needed to be replaced we'd have to start charging fees. We'd rather NGC handle the logistics.

So you grade the coins and NGC just holders them? No. We indicate to NGC that these are Green Label acceptable upon submission and NGC assigns a grade. We do not assign a grade.

Are Brown Label coins being crossed to Green Labels? Yes. If we find a NGC coin that meets our standards we may elect to cross the coin to a Green Label.

Can I submit a coin for Green Label? No. Only RARCOA can.

Can I send you a coin and have you submit it for Green Label? RARCOA only transacts with non-retail entities. If you have an account with us, we would be happy to have that discussion with you.

So NGC is going to grade these coins less conservatively because its a special label? We sure hope not. Because if they do, we are forced to crack the coin. If the coin does not meet our standards it won't be Green Label eligible. That means if we don't agree with the NGC grade we WILL crack the coin. Since we have to maintain an unseen spread we can't afford to have coins in the market place that do not meet our standards.

Great. I want to buy some green labels from you. How do I do so? Again multipart answer here. If you are retail consumer you can contact one of the approved Green Label retailers. If you have an account with us but are NOT a retailer we are sorry but they are not available to you. These coins will not be available to the wholesale market from us. They are a retail only product. If you have an account with us and are a retailer we welcome an inquiry.

Won't another grading firm just do the same thing? Possibly. Although that grading firm would have to partner with a wholesaler to make buy/sell spreads like RARCOA does to solidify the label or it just becomes another specialty label. We also have a Registered Trademark on the label.

Wayde Milas

President

RARCOA

The only thing I have against this is, “Where does this type of thing end?” If not the status quo ante, when?

Wait @VKurtB!

First, we must extend a hearty Welcome to the Forum to the gentleman who, unbeknownst to the membership at large, lodged a well-reasoned proclamation only minutes after he arrived and now holds the unofficial record for dispensing with the usual lurking around to speak up and address a matter pointedly, politely and unambiguously.  

The potential is there to have a complete Finest Set of French 20-franc 🐓 🐓 🐓 housed in easy-on-the-eyes, green holders. Great dissertation!

Welcome aboard!

Edited by Quintus Arrius
Change in wording.

7 minutes ago, Quintus Arrius said:

Wait @VKurtB!

First, we must extend a hearty Welcome to the Forum to the gentleman who, unbeknownst to the membership at large, lodged a well-reasoned proclamation only minutes after he arrived and now holds the unofficial record for dispensing with the usual lurking around to speak up and address a matter pointedly, politely and unambiguously.  

The potential is there to have a complete Finest Set of French 20-franc 🐓 🐓 🐓 housed in easy-on-the-eyes, green holders. Great dissertation!

Welcome aboard!

r roosters actually housed or r they cooped?.....bored minds want to know.....

On 2/10/2021 at 7:27 AM, Fenntucky Mike said:

For all you label people out there, here's another. 

https://www.moderncoinmart.com/ngc-green-label/?&link=ngc-green-label&link=hpbanner

118335.thumb.jpg.b66fb244b83cf25da2960fb6fefd14cb.jpg118336.thumb.jpg.7fa579d6015159f93e56e5664cc9f268.jpg

Is this supposed to compete with CAC?

As the creator of this thread, I should like to direct your attention to the last few posts in this thread with today's date as a surprise awaits!

Edited by Quintus Arrius
Typo

2 minutes ago, zadok said:

r roosters actually housed or r they cooped?.....bored minds want to know.....

Visitors to a small town in France objected so strongly to all the early-morning crowing by Maurice the 🐓, that village elders installed a sign stating, if you find ambient sounds from nature to be annoying, you need not bother entering.

6 hours ago, Wayde Milas said:

So you grade the coins and NGC just holders them? No. We indicate to NGC that these are Green Label acceptable upon submission and NGC assigns a grade. We do not assign a grade.

Wayde Milas

President

RARCOA

First, welcome to the forum, and thank you for joining in the discussion.

Does the above statement mean that NGC graders know that the coins they are grading were submitted by your company? Or is that information just for the people handling the paperwork?

On 4/4/2021 at 10:41 AM, GoldFinger1969 said:

"Leading numismatic experts at RARCOA inspect and segregate coins to find superior quality examples, including coins with attributes such as outstanding eye appeal, razor-sharp strike, booming luster, or attractive toning." 

So RARCOA looks for really nice-looking coins that stand out to the retail crowd...probably the masses, NOT regular coin collectors....or maybe Newbies....then they are sent to NGC where they are graded.

On closer inspection, it seems like NGC is just giving a special Green Label to coins pre-selected by RARCOA....grade is not impacted at all, and the qualities listed above that RARCOA seeks may or MAY NOT impact the grade that NGC assigns.

Now....if we find that the coins NGC grades for RARCOA are higher than for non-RARCOA coins, that would be a problem.  But I don't think NGC would sulley their reputation by giving out higher grades for the attributes listed above. 

They are simply incidental to the final grade, as best I can read the press release and key paragraphs.

JUST A HEADS UP...

@GoldFinger1969 In an unusual turn of events, the President of RARCOA, Wayne Milas, found this thread only a few hours ago and decided to address, at length, some of the issues that had earlier been discussed by you and other members that it behooves you and the other members who weighed in to take a look.

Wayde,

Welcome to the Forum and thank you for posting a response here it really cleared up a lot of questions I think people had. Or at least I had.

While I appreciate the subtleties of the green label the end user "average collector" is probably not going to know that it signifies anything other than another colorful label. While the green label may help RARCOA to identify their own selected coins and assist with dealer to dealer transactions, I would think simply scanning the barcode on the label could do the same thing and save the step of submitting coins to NGC for special labeling and maybe a well placed sticker for visual ID and marketing. ;) Not that I'm an advocate for stickers on slabs, I'm thinking purely from a cost / marketing stand point. 

14 hours ago, Wayde Milas said:

There are no "qualifiers" currently to the Green Label as it is not intended for modern.

So no moderns correct? The only coins I've seen with the green label so far have been Morgan and Peace Dollars, which I guess makes sense since I believe these are probably the two most heavily traded coins in bulk. Can you give one or two other examples of coins with the green label?

12 hours ago, Just Bob said:

First, welcome to the forum, and thank you for joining in the discussion.

Does the above statement mean that NGC graders know that the coins they are grading were submitted by your company? Or is that information just for the people handling the paperwork?

I've been told they do not. I'm not privy to the grading room, but what I've been told is that my coins go in anonymously just like any other submission. Not until after they are graded, in encapsulation, are they marked for the green tag. Again, I have no way to verify this as I've never seen a Green Label actual graded, but this is what I'm told happens. There have been mix ups in that a Green Label submission has come back to me as all Browns so I tend to believe what I've been told is true since there is obviously some sort of disconnect between the grading room at the final encapsulation.

28 minutes ago, Wayde Milas said:

I've been told they do not. I'm not privy to the grading room, but what I've been told is that my coins go in anonymously just like any other submission. Not until after they are graded, in encapsulation, are they marked for the green tag. Again, I have no way to verify this as I've never seen a Green Label actual graded, but this is what I'm told happens. There have been mix ups in that a Green Label submission has come back to me as all Browns so I tend to believe what I've been told is true since there is obviously some sort of disconnect between the grading room at the final encapsulation.

Thank you for that info. As I stated earlier, if the graders knew who submitted the coins, it may affect their objectivity. It would be nice to hear from someone at NGC on this matter, just to be sure.

Has the green label venture been successful so far?

7 hours ago, Fenntucky Mike said:

Wayde,

Welcome to the Forum and thank you for posting a response here it really cleared up a lot of questions I think people had. Or at least I had.

While I appreciate the subtleties of the green label the end user "average collector" is probably not going to know that it signifies anything other than another colorful label. While the green label may help RARCOA to identify their own selected coins and assist with dealer to dealer transactions, I would think simply scanning the barcode on the label could do the same thing and save the step of submitting coins to NGC for special labeling and maybe a well placed sticker for visual ID and marketing. ;) Not that I'm an advocate for stickers on slabs, I'm thinking purely from a cost / marketing stand point. 

So no moderns correct? The only coins I've seen with the green label so far have been Morgan and Peace Dollars, which I guess makes sense since I believe these are probably the two most heavily traded coins in bulk. Can you give one or two other examples of coins with the green label?

To be fair, the average collector does get the addition that we at RARCOA like the coin enough to stand behind it. As far as scanning the coin, it doesn't work that way. RARCOA scan's everything that passes through its doors. The problem is a coin may be cracked for reholder if the old one is damaged. Although it is supposed to retain the same serial number, often times this does not happen. Our system tracks this change but if it happens by someone else we lose the tracking. If a coin is cracked and submitted raw to try for an "upgrade" the coin is obviously issued a new serial number. If that coin is then purchased and scanned by us it comes up as a "new" coin. With the Green Label we know for sure without even scanning. If we are purchasing a large lot and 50% of them are Green we can eye ball them and get a good feel for value immediately.

As far as the how the label is going. We have been frankly, shocked at the uptake. We have been having issues making enough to supply the channel. This is partly due to us under estimating the demand and some production issues both on NGC and our side. You may have seen some price appreciation in the Morgan dollar and to a lesser extent the Peace dollar market. Some of this can be attributed to Green Label uptake.

No moderns, that is correct. Morgans, Peace and US Gold. You may have not seen them but there are 20's, 10's and 5's in Green Labels. After we have solidified offerings in these markets we plan to move to other US type.

Edited by Wayde Milas

44 minutes ago, Wayde Milas said:

As far as the how the label is going. We have been frankly, shocked at the uptake. We have been having issues making enough to supply the channel. This is partly due to us under estimating the demand and some production issues both on NGC and our side. You may have seen some price appreciation in the Morgan dollar and to a lesser extent the Peace dollar market. Some of this can be attributed to Green Label uptake.

Congratulations on the success of the Green Label and thanks again for fielding our questions.

On 7/13/2021 at 7:06 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

Visitors to a small town in France objected so strongly to all the early-morning crowing by Maurice the 🐓, that village elders installed a sign stating, if you find ambient sounds from nature to be annoying, you need not bother entering.

ill take that as a maybe then....

A lot of people believe the graders know, or at least suspect, whose coins they are grading.

1) I do NOT believe that; and both major firms deny it.

2) If I DID believe it, I’d consider the whole shmeer unethical and I’d never submit coins, … EVER!

3) I can’t handle any more ethical lapses in this field/hobby. I still haven’t gotten over learning that major auction firms shill bid on their own coins in order to avoid major losses.

For generics I don't see how the graders would know who's coins are who's. I think it would actually muck up flow through the grading room if coins were being divided up based on who submitted, or at least that's my guess.

However someone submits a 33 saint or an 04 dollar and there is no getting around it. The grader most likely knows who's coin it is absent any paperwork because.... he doesn't live in a cave. However I'm told a single person doesn't grade those pieces, its a commission of sorts. The point being logic dictates the real rarities are probably known. I don't think run of the mill coins are known as it would just complicate issues.

On 7/13/2021 at 10:09 PM, Just Bob said:

The graders probably don't know, people in receiving would know and the computer would know.  Receiving simply enters a code that is not displayed to the grader, and then when it reaches encapsulation the computer knows because of that code and prints the green label.

I just received my first green label coin today from Modern Coin Mart. I must say I am very impressed and quite disappointed at the same time. First, there is something appealing about the green label - I can't explain it, but it just looks nice and makes me want to buy more. Probably has some subliminal message in it or something. Second, the coin is beautiful and definitely seems to be a great pick. However I am dismayed about two things - first, the coin is not the coin pictured in the modern coin mart website photos. No mention is made on the website that you will not receive the coin that is pictured. However, scanning those pictures into the ngc database does produce coins with images. So I wasted significant time on the mcm sight pouring over pics of green label coins thinking that was the one I would receive. So I would have really appreciated a note on the sight that you will not receive the pictured coin. Now for the most disappointing part - the coin i received was not imaged at all on the NGC sight. So anytime I want to sell the coin I will not be able to be verified with pics on the NGC sight. The pictures are important to me, as I know that nobody has cracked the original coin out of the holder when it matches the picture on the NGC sight. I hope Mr Milas can make some appropriate changes to his program so the customers of his green labels can be satisfied. At this point green label is now synonymous with No Pictures. 

On 7/14/2021 at 9:30 PM, VKurtB said:

3) I can’t handle any more ethical lapses in this field/hobby. I still haven’t gotten over learning that major auction firms shill bid on their own coins in order to avoid major losses.

I saw that, but still don't really get how it works.... 

On 8/9/2021 at 6:52 PM, WagonCreek68 said:

I just received my first green label coin today from Modern Coin Mart. I must say I am very impressed and quite disappointed at the same time. First, there is something appealing about the green label - I can't explain it, but it just looks nice and makes me want to buy more. Probably has some subliminal message in it or something. Second, the coin is beautiful and definitely seems to be a great pick. However I am dismayed about two things - first, the coin is not the coin pictured in the modern coin mart website photos. No mention is made on the website that you will not receive the coin that is pictured. However, scanning those pictures into the ngc database does produce coins with images. So I wasted significant time on the mcm sight pouring over pics of green label coins thinking that was the one I would receive. So I would have really appreciated a note on the sight that you will not receive the pictured coin. Now for the most disappointing part - the coin i received was not imaged at all on the NGC sight. So anytime I want to sell the coin I will not be able to be verified with pics on the NGC sight. The pictures are important to me, as I know that nobody has cracked the original coin out of the holder when it matches the picture on the NGC sight. I hope Mr Milas can make some appropriate changes to his program so the customers of his green labels can be satisfied. At this point green label is now synonymous with No Pictures. 

@WagonCreek68

Welcome to the Forum!  

I know you've been here, but you did it right.  You sat back a few weeks, familiarized yourself with procedures, personalities, and the pecking order of things, then finally took the plunge.  Good for you.

Preliminarily, I see two problems, neither of which are unsolvable.  Firstly, MCM, whose "site" on eBay I took the liberty of viewing to get a feel for it, apparently has gotten rave reviews.  Since we do not know exactly what you bought, and have no idea what you were expecting much less what you had actually gotten, the good news is of the thousands of reviews it received, 99% are favorable.  Their CONTACT is provided on the site, as well as the standard notice soliciting FEEDBACK.  Have you availed yourself of either?  If not, why not?  I would.  Moving along, you've been here long enough to have familiarized yourself with NGC's various services which include this forum among many others, Submission Forms with their address and phone and fax numbers as well as a dedicated e-mail address:  service@NGCcoin.com.  I wish you the best of luck!

On 7/14/2021 at 1:50 PM, Wayde Milas said:

As far as the how the label is going. We have been frankly, shocked at the uptake. We have been having issues making enough to supply the channel. This is partly due to us under estimating the demand and some production issues both on NGC and our side.

First, thanks for coming into the forums and giving us direct answers from the company and people who should know.  Not many individuals/companies will do that.

Second, because you are marketing a retail product that might appeal to many beginners and newcomers to the hobby.... do you have any thoughts on if there has been a general uptick in the number of people looking to graduate to certified coins of the type that the Green Label encompasses ?  Are the combination of online buying and Covid stay-at-home giving people more exposure to coins as fun things to collect and/or investments/speculations ?  Are we being dragged up by the meme/NFT/sports card bubble ?  Maybe spillover from online coin buyers at Ebay, Heritage, or GC ?

Any thoughts appreciated.  We have had many discussions on the long-term demographic viability of the U.S. Coin market and always appreciate direct feedback from those in the business 24/7.