• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1964 jefferson nickel
2 2

3 posts in this topic

I'm a new coin collector my nickle was given an unfair grading 1964 with full uninterrupted steps should have received a higher grade than 65 I don't feel like my jefferson nickel  was given the grade deserved I ask for my coin to be regraded I was told that I had to pay another $51.00 dollars .I don't  feel that the appraisal of my coin was fair I ask the president of NGC to have another appraisal   done on my coin.  Thank you 

1611380856143584992397.jpg

1611380906546-503074001.jpg

Hi Armour. I’m sorry for the experience you’re having. But since you say yourself that you are a new collector, I should tell you that you are feeling exactly the same way most new collectors feel when they submit coins for grading the first time. I can offer you some advice, take it or leave it as you wish. But I feel I learned these the hard way.

1. Coin grades are opinions. They differ from person to person and from company to company. Arguing about your coin grade is similar to arguing about who the best boxer was in their prime.  You can’t win the argument.

2. If you want to own a coin with a certain grade, then buy the coin after it was graded. Trying to find a coin in the grade you want and thinking it will grade out the same will be very frustrating.

3. Submitting coins that are only worth a lot in high grades or with a full step designation, and worth much less in lower grades, will end up costing you lots of money. Don’t do it. Your nickel would have to grade FS to be worth the grading fees.  If you want to grade those kind of coins, you need to send in a bulk amount and pay for pre-screen services. That’s the only way these kind of coins will be worth the fees.

4. Coins cannot be graded from photos. Even good photos do not accurately present an accurate luster of the coin. And you need high resolution photos to adequately evaluate the strike and any markings.

5. The major greeting companies are pretty good at what they do. You might not agree, but you probably have not yourself graded millions of coins. And you probably do not have on hand benchmark examples of each coin in each grade to compare them to. Of course there’s always room for error, but on average NGC is a pretty consistent grader.

In my opinion, collectors need to find peace with these ideas to keep enjoying the hobby with coin grading services.

On 1/24/2021 at 11:57 AM, BlakeEik said:

2. If you want to own a coin with a certain grade, then buy the coin after it was graded.

Sound advice, but not fool-proof.  I recently purchased, sight unseen, a coin certified at a high grade by A, from a reputable out-of-state dealer with instructions to forward it directly to B for cross-grading, which ultimately failed. So, who lost, and who won? I lost without ever having had the opportunity to take physical possession of a desirable coin. The dealer lost a twelve hundred-dollar sale and has some ethical considerations to consider. Which leaves B the clear winner considering all of the foregoing hinged on a simple yes or no answer. Considering all shipping and insurance and grading costs were assumed by me, this is a cautionary tale of how one collector lost something he never saw and never had. My concern for the OP is what if he resubmitted the 1964 Jefferson for reconsideration for regarding -- which from my vantage point makes little economic sense, and the coin is returned with the exact same verdict? Take solace in the fact you were left with something.