• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Should I hide my cert #s in registry sets?
1 1

62 posts in this topic

Hello everyone, I am fairly new to the scene here and I have a question I hope someone can help with. I was wondering if it is necessary to hide the certification numbers of my coins in my registry sets? I see that some people do and some don’t. NGC hides them, so it made me curious if it was a good practice, done for security purposes, counterfeit measure, or if it mattered that much. Below (or above, wherever this picture ends up) is an example of how my coins are displayed at the moment. I would appreciate any feedback. Thanks, 

F629351C-A718-4808-B026-E7B9C5476D58.jpeg

I don't hide mine and I don't think it particularly matters as I could make arguments for and against this. That being said it doesn't hurt anything either so if you feel more comfortable obscuring the cert # keep on doing it. Just make sure you have it registered to your account. (thumbsu

On a side note if I was looking to purchase a coin and the # was blocked or the owner wouldn't give it out I'd probably pass on it.

I totally agree with that. I want to see the real cert # when making a purchase. I wont buy anything without seeing the actual coin and cert #. Thanks.

33 minutes ago, Lem E said:

By the way Mike, I dig your profile pic. I’m more of a GUNDAM guy myself.

That would be my #3 favorite, S.B. (Series I) was appointment television for me after school.

FYI, I can still read the cert # on your pic above.

5 minutes ago, Six Mile Rick said:

I never really worried about hiding the cert #. However as of lately I crop my photos to the coin so the coin is larger when viewed and easier to see.

2055395_DetailsThumb_Obv.jpg?t=Mi8zLzIwM2055395_DetailsThumb_Rev.jpg?t=Mi8zLzIwM

Very nice 41 Jefferson! This is more geared towards my ASE sets. As we all know, these sets are all about the label and I am as guilty as anyone for buying labels. That said, I’m too invested to quit buying them now, but they are on the back burner. Now working on a 38 ~ 64 Jefferson nickel set so I can buy COINS!!! Dont get me wrong, my ASE sets are beautiful but I needed a change. Thanks for your help.

3 minutes ago, Fenntucky Mike said:

That would be my #3 favorite, S.B. (Series I) was appointment television for me after school.

You can? No black bar?

Its more of a personal choice, some do feel that it is a better protection.  I do all mine cropped because I want the viewers to be able to se the coin vs the slab.  The only place that I would prefer to use a slab shot is in my custom set of old holders, this is one area that I would really like to see NGC (maybe something @Ali E. can look into) provide some different photo options for different sets.  However the biggest complaint that I have is that so few registry participants post any photos at all, the whole point of the registry is to share and photos make that far better and more interesting.  I've attached an example of what I try and do with my photos.

1897Ssdobv.jpg

1897Ssdrev.jpg

I guess I am just not going to worry about it too much anymore. If people can read through the black line, whats the point. If it becomes a problem, I will deal with it then. I am working on trying different techniques on photographing my coins, but all I really have to work with is my Ipad. Coin photography is  not the easiest thing to do, and I am amazed by some of the pictures I see that you guys put out there. I did watch the 2 hour ANA seminar on the photography techniques and am going to try some of those ideas. One of these days I may get a better setup for coin photos, but I would rather buy a nice coin than a nice camera. I greatly appreciate all the feedback and advice from everyone and look forward to chatting with you all again on different topics. Thanks again. 

13 hours ago, Fenntucky Mike said:

So --- What is the certification # Fenn???

10 minutes ago, Six Mile Rick said:

So --- What is the certification # Fenn???

I will confirm if you are correct.

There's really nothing no one can gain by seeing the cert number. Unless they try to counterfeit one and use it to counterfeit a slab label. They can't use it in no way to get none of your personal info or nothing 

Edited by Hoghead515

49 minutes ago, Hoghead515 said:

Thats a very nice Jefferson. Love to have one like that in my collection. Congrats on getting the honor to add it to yours. 

Thanks. Im really into the Jeffersons at the moment.

Just now, Lem E said:

Thanks. Im really into the Jeffersons at the moment.

I like them alot also. Ive been on a quarter kick here lately but I've had my eye on a couple nickles im thinking about buying. I also got one in a 63 proof set that has turned a real pretty blue color im thinking about sending in to slab. It is flawless. I think it will score a nice grade. 

1 minute ago, Hoghead515 said:

I like them alot also. Ive been on a quarter kick here lately but I've had my eye on a couple nickles im thinking about buying. I also got one in a 63 proof set that has turned a real pretty blue color im thinking about sending in to slab. It is flawless. I think it will score a nice grade. 

Yea I dig on the colors some of these will turn. I just got this one in the mail today. Aside from the mark on his face, this thing is a dandy. Nice tones to it.

5585E7FF-EF7E-4512-92EE-2D3BED0FA590.jpeg

32 minutes ago, Lem E said:

Yea I dig on the colors some of these will turn. I just got this one in the mail today. Aside from the mark on his face, this thing is a dandy. Nice tones to it.

5585E7FF-EF7E-4512-92EE-2D3BED0FA590.jpeg

Thats a fine coin. Really nice toning. Nice find. 

Edited by Hoghead515

7 hours ago, Lem E said:

Nice, good subtle toning and 5FS to boot. 

7 hours ago, Hoghead515 said:

I also got one in a 63 proof set that has turned a real pretty blue color im thinking about sending in to slab. It is flawless. I think it will score a nice grade. 

I'd love to see the 63, not a fan of rainbow or bullseye toning in general but I'm a sucker for a coin with a nice even kobalt blue color.

52 minutes ago, Fenntucky Mike said:

I'd love to see the 63, not a fan of rainbow or bullseye toning in general but I'm a sucker for a coin with a nice even kobalt blue color.

Thanks Mike. Appreciate it. 

14 hours ago, Lem E said:

I guess I am just not going to worry about it too much anymore. If people can read through the black line, whats the point. If it becomes a problem, I will deal with it then. I am working on trying different techniques on photographing my coins, but all I really have to work with is my Ipad. Coin photography is  not the easiest thing to do, and I am amazed by some of the pictures I see that you guys put out there. I did watch the 2 hour ANA seminar on the photography techniques and am going to try some of those ideas. One of these days I may get a better setup for coin photos, but I would rather buy a nice coin than a nice camera. I greatly appreciate all the feedback and advice from everyone and look forward to chatting with you all again on different topics. Thanks again. 

Download PhotoScape.  It's free and you can round crop the pics.GetImage.aspx?c=1911333&t=GalleryThumb&f

3 hours ago, Fenntucky Mike said:

Soon as I get off work ill take a picture and show show it to u. I usually get home around 6 or 7 in the evenings. I looked through my phone. I thought I had a pic on it but I guess not. 

• Administrator
On 1/7/2021 at 10:53 AM, Coinbuf said:

Its more of a personal choice, some do feel that it is a better protection.  I do all mine cropped because I want the viewers to be able to se the coin vs the slab.  The only place that I would prefer to use a slab shot is in my custom set of old holders, this is one area that I would really like to see NGC (maybe something @Ali E. can look into) provide some different photo options for different sets.  However the biggest complaint that I have is that so few registry participants post any photos at all, the whole point of the registry is to share and photos make that far better and more interesting.  I've attached an example of what I try and do with my photos.

Happy New Year, Coinbuf!

We have many improvements planned for the NGC Registry in the coming months. Improvements to Custom Set options is definitely a discussion we are having. The senior team will take your thoughtful comments into consideration. Thank you for the feedback. 

6 hours ago, Six Mile Rick said:

Download PhotoScape.  It's free and you can round crop the pics.GetImage.aspx?c=1911333&t=GalleryThumb&f

Thanks for the info guys. Can’t seem to find it in the app store for Iphone.