• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post a coin with the number 20 in it to say goodbye to 2020!!
1 1

21 posts in this topic

@Walkerfan Ah, just the right person to ask...  As you may know I got a beat down and emerged battered and bruised over a life-threatening matter: rivets.  That's right, rivets. As in those regularly-spaced protrusions on Lady Liberty's hand-held shield.  Would you be able to tell me beginning in what year did the problem of "missing" rivets arise and why?  I am, of course, referring to coins like yours in Mint State condition and not the lower grades where wear would be a factor.

(Very lovely quarter 🍒 with an enviably low certification number.) 

17 hours ago, Quintus Arrius said:

@Walkerfan Ah, just the right person to ask...  As you may know I got a beat down and emerged battered and bruised over a life-threatening matter: rivets.  That's right, rivets. As in those regularly-spaced protrusions on Lady Liberty's hand-held shield.  Would you be able to tell me beginning in what year did the problem of "missing" rivets arise and why?  I am, of course, referring to coins like yours in Mint State condition and not the lower grades where wear would be a factor.

(Very lovely quarter 🍒 with an enviably low certification number.) 

1917 type 2 design. They changed the type 1 during the year over public uproar over bare breasted Liberty. Type 2 added chain mail, and changed the stars on the reverse. Type 1 tended to be sharp and well defined, type 2 have consistent strike issues notably the rivets in the shield and and liberties head. 

4 hours ago, Woods020 said:

1917 type 2 design. They changed the type 1 during the year over public uproar over bare breasted Liberty. Type 2 added chain mail, and changed the stars on the reverse. Type 1 tended to be sharp and well defined, type 2 have consistent strike issues notably the rivets in the shield and and liberties head. 

I concur with this.  (thumbsu  May I add softness of date, as well, for the weaker struck pieces.  Attempts were made in 1925 with a 'recessed date' design but it was only marginally effective.  Also, I find that branch mints (D & S) tend to be weaker among type 2 and 3 varieties.      

Edited by Walkerfan