• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1914d gold Indian

16 posts in this topic

Ask a reliable (!) coin dealer (or two or three) if it is genuine. Third party "grading" will likely not result in sufficient increase in sale value to justify the cost.

43 minutes ago, Paul Coppola said:

I inherited this coin from my mother. Do you think I should get it graded. I’m new to coin collecting. 

3339D233-15A8-4BB7-9C8E-F2A19D9D64F6.jpeg

2DF18792-C7AE-44E7-957E-74167252F01E.jpeg

I would put an AU grade on this coin maybe AU55 which is not much above melt value. As RWB mentioned I would have a reputable dealer look at it first. But your going to spend more to have it graded and it will not gain you much if any added value. And since your not a member your going to have to join which is at least $100 to become a member and then additional grading cost. So don’t do it if your planning to resell ably do it if your wanting to keep it well protected forever beings that it’s an inherited coin. But this is just my opinion. Also melt value for this coin is at $456.17 as of yesterday.

Welcome to the forum.

The pictures aren’t real sharp, but from what I can see, the coin should grade at least AU58 and possibly as high as MS63. So it might be worth getting graded.
Below is link to authorized NGC dealers (who could hopefully assess the coin and if warranted, submit it to NGC on your behalf). Enter your zip code in the “location” box and you can see which dealers are in your area.

https://www.ngccoin.com/services/dealer-listing.aspx

Edited to add: Even as an ungraded AU coin, it should currently be worth $500+ wholesale.

Edited by MarkFeld

3 minutes ago, MarkFeld said:

Welcome to the forum.

The pictures aren’t real sharp, but from what I can see, the coin should grade at least AU58 and possibly as high as MS63. So it might be worth getting graded.
Below is link to authorized NGC dealers (who could hopefully assess the coin and if warranted, submit it to NGC on your behalf). Enter your zip code in the “location” box and you can see which dealers are in your area.

https://www.ngccoin.com/services/dealer-listing.aspx

I can’t see this coin getting an MS designation there are to many nicks and gouges around the word “unum”  a gouge above headdress and deep scratch about obverse right side 3 stars down and who is to say what else is there that isn’t visible in the picture. 

7 minutes ago, KyCoinKollektor said:

I can’t see this coin getting an MS designation there are to many nicks and gouges around the word “unum”  a gouge above headdress and deep scratch about obverse right side 3 stars down and who is to say what else is there that isn’t visible in the picture. 

If the coin fails to grade 60 or better, it will be because in hand, it displays rub/wear that isn’t apparent in the images. It won’t be because of the marks you mentioned. They are perfectly acceptable and usually seen on uncirculated examples.

1 minute ago, MarkFeld said:

If the coin fails to grade 60 or better, it will be because in hand, it displays rub/wear that isn’t apparent in the images. It won’t be because of the marks you mentioned. They are perfectly acceptable and usually seen on uncirculated examples.

Well don’t send it to pcgs a scratched coin gets a “scratched” designation instead of a grade. So I don’t understand how you think that doesn’t affect the grade. But I do think it needs an evaluation in hand 100% before a decision to send it in is made. 

i have only ever owned a couple of these that were in ms62 grades (not sure of the date) but if i remember correctly they had more marks than this appears to have and didnt look nearly as nice.  I think this would be ms 63 or 64??

5 minutes ago, KyCoinKollektor said:

Well don’t send it to pcgs a scratched coin gets a “scratched” designation instead of a grade. So I don’t understand how you think that doesn’t affect the grade. But I do think it needs an evaluation in hand 100% before a decision to send it in is made. 

I understand just fine, how marks affect the grade.

Here’s an MS63 - look at the marks on it, a number of them worse than on the coin in this thread.

http://images.goldbergauctions.com/php/lot_auc.php?sale=60&site=1&lot=2952

Edited by MarkFeld

8 minutes ago, KyCoinKollektor said:

Truthfully they are considered the same as bag marks and don't effect whether they grade..

I'm not so sure they aren't planchet flaws and could only tell in hand..

2DF18792-C7AE-44E7-957E-74167252F01E.jpeg.381c18e726885ceecf819ebd558ef925.jpeg

Edited by MAULEMALL

3 minutes ago, MarkFeld said:

I understand just fine, how marks after the grade.

Here’s an MS63 - look at the large obverse mark and multiple reverse marks on it: 

http://images.goldbergauctions.com/php/lot_auc.php?sale=60&site=1&lot=2952

very good photo! yeah my ms62 versions were way more marked up than the pictured ms63.  Im thinking ms64 or higher even now.

Welcome to the forum.  That is a wonderful coin that you have inherited and a fantastic family heirloom.  Having the coin graded depends on what your plans are for the coin, if you plan to hold it in your family then there is no absolute need to have it graded.  However that does establish a grade and the NGC holder provides is a very safe holder to protect the coin from damage.   If on the other hand you are considering selling then I certainly would recommend sending it in to NGC for grading and encapsulation, it will establish that the coin is genuine (that is important if you decide to sell thru a venue like ebay) and provide a grade to better establish the value.  The coin displays very well and looks to be uncirculated but as mentioned only an in hand evaluation can determine if there is any light rub or friction on the coin. 

13 minutes ago, Lancek said:

MarkFeld used to be a grader.  And he's very well respected on this board.  To me, when it comes to coins, his opinion is as good as gold.

I didn’t say his opinion wasn’t good, I am well aware of his knowledge. all I’m saying is coin grading is subjective from grader to grader. One may grade it a 61 and another a 62. I only stated what was my opinion, not to mention to me what looks like tooling along the spine of the Eagle like someone was trying to clean out debris from the crevices.my opinions was never meant to de-value someone else’s. If it was taken that way I apologize. 

40A2D8A0-61C6-460E-8DD7-DA4AA8AF83EB.jpeg

Edited by KyCoinKollektor

Gold is a very soft metal and it takes very little force to make a mark on a coin, especially this design which has no rim to protect the fields and devices.  I doubt those are tooling marks that you are seeing there @KyCoinKollektor but an in hand evaluation might yield a different perspective.  Coins that are handed down from relatives don't always have the benefit of careful handling from time to time, they get dropped, or slid around a drawer, something heavy is placed on them and many other things that can leave minor impressions.  Its very smart of the op to have this coin in the current holder as it provides very good protection for this coin from those types of things.