• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1960 D penny, Double date or not?

8 posts in this topic

So I've found around 10 errors on this coin so far but i cant seem to confirm if its a double date penny or not. My camera is not the best. I thought it was initially but now i think i was creating shadow with my shots, anyway id appreciate the help greatly. Really1A83141B-85E7-4D00-AF0C-ED0458A63091.thumb.jpeg.ab07d4019ddecd07ce66e7400dd530bd.jpeg need to get a better camera for my coins. Thanks in advance. 

675A1493-4938-481B-9CA7-7E2BACB4119C.jpeg

35243EEE-5D21-4F8E-ACFC-FEB46B9ABA32.jpeg

13 hours ago, Greenstang said:

Welcome to the Forum

Don’t see any Doubling. Looks like a regular 1960 cent. I would like to know where you see about 10 errors on the coin.             
I can’t see any.

Hello and thanks. Here are the errors i see on the coin. If you'd like a picture of each error i am seeing let me know which number and ill post it. If i am mistaken i will gladly rectify my opinion on this coin. 
1. Doubling of the chin along the neck line. 2.doubling on E from “one” 3. Die chip connecting NE and C on “one cent” 4. Die chip on the bottom left side of memorial. 5. Clash marks: partial letters coming out of Lincoln's head. 6. Clash marks on 6 and D. 7. Clash marks on Lincolns bust. 8. On the word “states” there is clashing as well. 9. Doubling on S and T from “states” 10. Clash marks under “liberty”. Extra one: doubling on “WE”. 

Edited by coinstudentdeadeye

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

There are no varieties or mint errors on your coin. Everything described falls within the normal range of quality control issues. Coins of the 1950s and 60s were particularly prone to minor irregularities stemming from overused and poorly maintained dies.

10 hours ago, DWLange said:

There are no varieties or mint errors on your coin. Everything described falls within the normal range of quality control issues. Coins of the 1950s and 60s were particularly prone to minor irregularities stemming from overused and poorly maintained dies.

So which is it no errors or errors because you are kind of contradicting yourself. In one sentence your saying there is no errors. Then you are saying the errors are stemming from overused dies and poorly maintained dies? Anyway i get what your saying which i think is they are inexpensive mint errors or like you said typical with these years. Well im not in it for the money but thank you for your feedback. 

ps, the 1960 D small date penny Double date is a variety. Thats what i was actually asking about. I was going to ask you what you thought but I guess you answered no? 🤔

Edited by coinstudentdeadeye

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

That it's the Small Date is a given. NGC doesn't require VarietyPlus service to designate this, so we don't think of it as a variety.

A favorite expression of mine is "Poor quality control is not, by itself, a variety or mint error." By that I mean that minor irregularities are so common on USA coins of the 1950s and 60s as to be essentially normal. Certainly, NGC won't mention these on the grading label.

I hope that answers your question more fully.

6 minutes ago, DWLange said:

That it's the Small Date is a given. NGC doesn't require VarietyPlus service to designate this, so we don't think of it as a variety.

A favorite expression of mine is "Poor quality control is not, by itself, a variety or mint error." By that I mean that minor irregularities are so common on USA coins of the 1950s and 60s as to be essentially normal. Certainly, NGC won't mention these on the grading label.

I hope that answers your question more fully.

It does. Thanks so much for your feedback. I once asked that about these coins and couldn’t get an answer. I will admit it was a great coin to learn a lot of information to pass on to future coins.