• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Morgan silver dollar

21 posts in this topic

Looks like it might have been polished at some point (no bueno) then re-toned, probably by environmental contact, maybe once abrasively cleaned (not sure). Details look AU-50 or thereabouts. Numismedia would put that at $29 if not doctored, less if so, in any case value is no less than bullion (just a hair shy of $20). My guess is a dealer pays $19, sells it for $28.

Just now, Angie1122 said:

Thank you I appreciate that I just received it from a relative and I don't collect nor do I know much on the subject ...

Happens many times and we help folks with such situations every day. Unless you really need the money, if the relative is special to you (I have some that are not, so I don't assume), might be a nice keepsake of him or her. It is the last year of issue of Morgans, and the only one minted at Denver, which would normally mean a premium if it were uncirculated. However, even the 21-D and S issues are not hugely rare. The Philly issues (no mint mark) are one of the most common Morgan issues and maybe the most common. I didn't check it for VAMs (die varieties, basically), but if there is a deep-rolling Morgan collector who happens along, they might know.

10 hours ago, JKK said:

Looks like it might have been polished at some point (no bueno) then re-toned, probably by environmental contact, maybe once abrasively cleaned (not sure). Details look AU-50 or thereabouts. Numismedia would put that at $29 if not doctored, less if so, in any case value is no less than bullion (just a hair shy of $20). My guess is a dealer pays $19, sells it for $28.

Many dealers who buy such coins work on much tighter buy-sell spread than that. I’d expect approximately a $4 spread on the coin, rather than $9.

3 hours ago, NevadaS&G said:

Looks like a badly polished Counterfeit Jobber. I'd say it's worth nothing, zip, zero, zilch

So what makes you say it's counterfeit? 

5 hours ago, bsshog40 said:

So what makes you say it's counterfeit? 

What if the Chinese are coming to these chat boards showing us photos of coins and seeing if they are good enough. It wouldn't surprise me

52 minutes ago, NevadaS&G said:

What if the Chinese are coming to these chat boards showing us photos of coins and seeing if they are good enough. It wouldn't surprise me

That's why it's generally considered very bad form here to explain the signs of counterfeiting. Even if the OP isn't faking coins, the visiting fakers can get valuable feedback if someone blurts it out. It's a legit question, and totally understandable, but it's one best not expounded upon.

3 hours ago, NevadaS&G said:

And if we treated every new person showing a coin as a counterfeiter, we wouldn't have a forum left!

26 minutes ago, bsshog40 said:

And if we treated every new person showing a coin as a counterfeiter, we wouldn't have a forum left!

Yeah but look at that weak strike on the bird. He's screaming I'm real bro

2 minutes ago, NevadaS&G said:

Yeah but look at that weak strike on the bird. He's screaming I'm real bro

I'm not quite sure what your point is. I believe it is a real but harshly cleaned Morgan. I was only inquiring why you thought it was a counterfeit and telling the OP that his coin was completely worthless. Regardless of condition, it's still silver. 

So what if it's real It's as Ugly as Sin and was polished so harshly that any value it had is gone with the wind. I'm just pointing out there are things on the coin that don't make it look authentic. If I was a coin dealer and you walked into my shop with that thing I would take a hard Pass and give you the boot.

9 minutes ago, NevadaS&G said:

So what if it's real It's as Ugly as Sin and was polished so harshly that any value it had is gone with the wind. I'm just pointing out there are things on the coin that don't make it look authentic. If I was a coin dealer and you walked into my shop with that thing I would take a hard Pass and give you the boot.

That would be AFTER you came here and enquired if it was real, If it would grade at pcgs, If it would get a bean And if you should crack it and send it to NGC :whistle: