• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Coin/currency collecting software

11 posts in this topic

I have been looking for a way, other than my spreadsheets, to track my coin & currency collection. I have both US and foreign coins and some US currency. The only thing that seems to cover it has been "Collector's assistant" by Carlisle. Has any one used this or seen reviews on it? I can't find any real reviews and it is a bit pricy ($100+) to just try out for myself. 

Thanks

On 12/14/2020 at 1:15 AM, GoldFinger1969 said:

What do these software programs offer, above and beyond my homemade Excel Spreadsheet with a few key columns that I created ?

They can have a list of coins/currency in that category so you can see what you are missing. Helps me see what holes to fill. :) 

[I hate to embarrass myself in front of my friends like this but one day I realized that an empty cardboard box of tea bags (Bigelow/Twinings) could accommodate well over a dozen different sized slabs from every TPGS on the planet unlike the custom-made sarcophagi manufactured by the various services to fit only their own products.  True story!]

I have looked at several apps to use for inventory.  However, I always came back to excel and now use Google sheets instead.    Allows me to track my inventory, report, create my own "set" criteria, etc... 100% what I need at any given time.  Not what someone else thinks is the best way to track inventory. 

14 hours ago, ShaneG said:

They can have a list of coins/currency in that category so you can see what you are missing.

With all the info available online you could load a series info easily into a spreadsheet.  I would hope this is not the main reason for your looking at a software app to use.    

RE: "Coin/currency collecting software"

I tried programming the robotic guard dog with coin/currency collecting software, but all it did was dig holes and bury money in them. I got a prototype cylon to collect software, but then it got blown up in a terrorist explosion.... Or maybe I'm reading the thread title wrong...?

PS: Well...no, the guard dog did exactly what many "MS-70" coin collectors do....That dog is smarter than I thought! I'll give it an extra steel bold with its dinner.

Edited by RWB

12 hours ago, RWB said:

RE: "Coin/currency collecting software"

I tried programming the robotic guard dog with coin/currency collecting software, but all it did was dig holes and bury money in them. I got a prototype cylon to collect software, but then it got blown up in a terrorist explosion.... Or maybe I'm reading the thread title wrong...?

PS: Well...no, the guard dog did exactly what many "MS-70" coin collectors do....That dog is smarter than I thought! I'll give it an extra steel bold with its dinner.

Does the steel bold make it extra brave? 

1 hour ago, ShaneG said:

Does the steel bold make it extra brave? 

Yes.  But I don't give it a treat like that too often. Don't want it to become self-aware.

On 12/13/2020 at 2:11 PM, ShaneG said:

I have been looking for a way, other than my spreadsheets, to track my coin & currency collection. I have both US and foreign coins and some US currency. The only thing that seems to cover it has been "Collector's assistant" by Carlisle. Has any one used this or seen reviews on it? I can't find any real reviews and it is a bit pricy ($100+) to just try out for myself. 

Thanks

22 minutes ago, Annie oakley coins said:

"Collector's Assistant" seems OK and costs only 2 BU Morgan dollars. But, be prepared to do a lot of customization to get what you want out of it. You could also build your own using Access or some other small database....I think there is even a cheap version of Oracle.

However, please think ahead about how you will get your data OUT of the software when you want to change.

Edited by RWB