• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bubble wrap or packing paper?

16 posts in this topic

When shipping a submission to NGC do most of you use bubble wrap or packing paper or something different to pack the box? Any reasons? Any horror stories?

I use those cardboard coin mailers - available from Wizard or Lighthouse.   They work okay for me and are pretty cheap.  Then pack them in a Small Flat Rate Box and off they go.  You can use a little bubble wrap in the box.  Make sure you tape the box good.

Edited by Alex in PA.

I use whatever I have, sometimes bubble wrap sometimes the packing paper.  I have not had any issues sending to NGC or CAC using registered mail or FedEx.

Packing paper or equivalent, newspaper, magazine pages, whatever. Never used bubble wrap but it would probably be just as effective. Rubber band everything together best I can, stuff them in the smallest box possible and off they go. So far so good

If I submit coins in original capsules the rattle of the coin in the capsule makes me a little nervous but then I think "pfft. It's only modern NCLT". :devil: 

On 12/3/2020 at 4:35 PM, Revenant said:

When shipping a submission to NGC do most of you use bubble wrap or packing paper or something different to pack the box? Any reasons? Any horror stories?

What's the value of the package you're sending?  And are you insuring it?

On 12/3/2020 at 7:17 PM, Fenntucky Mike said:

Packing paper or equivalent, newspaper, magazine pages, whatever. Never used bubble wrap but it would probably be just as effective. Rubber band everything together best I can, stuff them in the smallest box possible and off they go. So far so good

Rubber bands aren’t allowed in the same house as my collection. The sulphur content is death to an otherwise good coin. Been there, done that and learned my lesson a long time ago.

6 minutes ago, punkaccountant said:

Rubber bands aren’t allowed in the same house as my collection. The sulphur content is death to an otherwise good coin. Been there, done that and learned my lesson a long time ago.

The suggestion of a rubber band is/was for shipping purposes only and is to be placed around/over the OMP, SA flips or whatever the individual is using to protect their coin/s for the shipment, thus securing them together. Of course, with current turn around times I may want to rethink my statement. :devil: 

I agree, in general, rubber bands are a no no with coins. (thumbsu

3 hours ago, punkaccountant said:

Im glad I read this thread.  Thats how I was going to ship mine in. These flips I have are hard to close together. Ill probably wrap paper around it pretty tight and stuff it down in a narrow box to keep it from unfolding. 

Philadelphia brand cream cheese works well, too....And the squeeze container is particularly easy to use. I start with a sturdy box, then line it with stale bagels, add 1/2-inch of cream cheese cut from blocks, put in the coins, then fill all the little gaps and top with cream cheese from the squeezer.

PS: Some prefer to toast the bagels before use - just don't mention that in Brooklyn.

29 minutes ago, RWB said:

Philadelphia brand cream cheese works well, too....And the squeeze container is particularly easy to use. I start with a sturdy box, then line it with stale bagels, add 1/2-inch of cream cheese cut from blocks, put in the coins, then fill all the little gaps and top with cream cheese from the squeezer.

PS: Some prefer to toast the bagels before use - just don't mention that in Brooklyn.

If I pack em like that ill end up eating them before they make it to the mailbox. 

The major reason I think bubble wrap is the best way to send submissions to NGC is because that’s how my dealers send me their numismatic coins and I’m talking about coins which have cost me thousands of dollars. Coins do get knocked about a lot during their journey through the mail to NGC and bubble wrap should cushion against any damaging blows.

On 12/13/2020 at 2:09 PM, Hoghead515 said:

Im glad I read this thread.  Thats how I was going to ship mine in. These flips I have are hard to close together. Ill probably wrap paper around it pretty tight and stuff it down in a narrow box to keep it from unfolding. 

Which reminds me.....who's bright idea was it to use staples to secure flips?! I use scotch tape....easy to cut ,and easier for stowing the flips in a collector book.....pfffffffft, staples!!...unbelievable.

17 hours ago, rocket23 said:

Which reminds me.....who's bright idea was it to use staples to secure flips?! I use scotch tape....easy to cut ,and easier for stowing the flips in a collector book.....pfffffffft, staples!!...unbelievable.

Lol. I missed that one. Did u send some in with staples in them. Lol. I bet they liked that when they opened them up. I haven't sent any in yet in flips. Im going to after the holidays are over. All the ones I sent in so far has been in government packaging. I was gonna secure my flips with rubber bands till I read this thread. By the way I wanted to get a whole proof set graded. Do you have to crack them out of those cases or can you send them in like that. Only ones I sent is has been the capsule type like the ASEs' come in.