• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Can we start an “advice for newbies” thread?

30 posts in this topic

In the spirit of trying to both learn myself, and push the forum to be more newbie friendly/informative, would the experienced members contribute some of their knowledge for a reference document of sorts? Perhaps there is a way it can be anchored at the front of the newbies section like the “what you need to know to post” thread?

Things I have or would find helpful being relatively new:

1. links to useful information to answer the questions yourself:

- For variety attributions questions visit        Variety Vista

- For Morgan/Peace Vams visit VAM World

- Is this a DDO/DDR/RPM... provide links to resource documents to show both how it happens and what it looks like 

2. The three/five resource books every numismatist should own and read (provide recommendations)

3. Perhaps an FAQ (I would be happy to compile the document). 
Ex. Should I clean a coin- no never. However there are ways to “non clean” them such as acetone for silver....

I’m sure there are many more and better topics people can come up with. My thought is that this will help the truly eager to learn newbie, and prevent frustrations of some of the experienced member from having to answer questions they feel are dumb or tired of answering  

Thoughts?

A good Idea, one thought is to pm JKK and see if he would be willing to insert some of this info into his thread that the NGC team recently pinned at the top of this section.

Edited by Coinbuf

17 minutes ago, RWB said:

What are the most common things new collectors want to know -- other than "What's it worth" ?

Should I get this coin graded and slabbed seems to be a common question also.

1 hour ago, Modwriter said:

And literally greater than 99.9% of the time, that answer is “no”. Truly, if you even have to ask, the answer is almost always “no”. There is a cost to doing it. Is there a benefit? Maybe yes, maybe no, but for nearly all beginner cases, the cost vastly outweighs the benefit. It should never be a goal per se. 

Edited by VKurtB

I think that’s a good one for the FAQ. 

should I get this coin graded?
Generally unless the coin will realize $250?, and your intention is to maximize the resell price, it is generally not recommended to spend the money for certification.  

I think this is an opportunity to tell new collectors what they should know just as much as what they are asking. Tell them books they should read, images they should study, etc.. What should a new collector learn?

1 minute ago, Woods020 said:

I think that’s a good one for the FAQ. 

should I get this coin graded?
Generally unless the coin will realize $250?, and your intention is to maximize the resell price, it is generally not recommended to spend the money for certification.  

+1. Preach. Say it loud, say it clear. 

1 minute ago, Woods020 said:

I think this is an opportunity to tell new collectors what they should know just as much as what they are asking. Tell them books they should read, images they should study, etc.. What should a new collector learn?

Great idea. Most have never picked up even a Whitman Red Book, sadly. That should be the entry ticket, assuming we’re talking U.S. coins.

Edited by VKurtB

I believe just one of the reasons new collectors get all “slab happy” is the oft-repeated bromide that unless it’s in plastic, it’s hard to sell. If that’s true, and I dispute that it is, then you’re looking at the wrong selling venue. Just as not every coin needs to be slabbed, also not every coin needs to be sold by a company that only sells slabs. Tautological yes, but so very important. Serious coins need slabs. Fun coins do not. And even still, many once slabbed coins WILL BE CRACKED OUT, and not always to resubmit them. Some days it seems every coin that gets TO the USA, or COMES FROM China, needs authentication. Both for obvious reasons. 

Edited by VKurtB

3 minutes ago, Modwriter said:

Would the TPGS go out of business if we did not send coins in to get graded and stabbed? @DWLange

They might need to accept pre-owned German sports cars rather than new. (Says the guy who actually DOES send NGC some coins that don’t make financial sense, but are sent for aesthetic reasons for an exhibit.) “ATS” doesn’t qualify for aesthetics. LOL. 

Edited by VKurtB

30 minutes ago, VKurtB said:

They might need to accept pre-owned German sports cars rather than new. (Says the guy who actually DOES send NGC some coins that don’t make financial sense, but are sent for aesthetic reasons for an exhibit.) “ATS” doesn’t qualify for aesthetics. LOL. 

Kinda like sending a VW Passat in for grading vs a Porsche 911 Carrera. lol

2 hours ago, Modwriter said:

The one I've seen the most since I've been here is "is this a dd.  And how valuable." You Tube has got everyone looking for them and making them think they gonna get rich.  Im a newbie to but I try to live in reality the best I can. An old man gave me some advice one time that has never let me down yet. If it looks or sounds to good to be true then it is. 

20 minutes ago, RWB said:

I'll be pleased to help, but I'm not well "in tune" with today's new collectors - I get too wordy and detailed.

Yes, but you are helping all of us with your knowledge and experience. It is appreciated, even though it may not seem like it.

This is wonderful. I’ll begin after the holidays pulling some of these suggestions together, and I will reach back out to this group for feedback and help. 

Have a happy Thanksgiving all!

9 minutes ago, bsshog40 said:

The reason for the "Newbie Coin Collecting Questions" section was specifically made for the topic of this thread. It's where newbies come here to ask questions and advice about coins. There are a lot of  seasoned members and new members here with lots of knowledge and information to help. The problem that we seem to have lately is people giving bad advice, even if it is in jest, and people that seem to derail the threads because they have grievances with other members.  There has also been newbies that do not accept information and/or advice given and that you cannot fix. My advice is to stick to the topics of the thread and only provide helpful information and/or advice that you yourself would like to receive if you were a newbie again.  Every one of us were newbies at one time. We've all made mistakes in collecting. I have always tried to keep a motto of helping someone not make the same mistake I may have made. I presume that most of us are adults here. Some of the comments I've seen lately on these forums look like they are coming out of the mouths of children. I say treat someone's post as if it were your post and try to use respect in the process. I hope everyone has a Safe and Happy Thanksgiving!

Bobby

On point Bobby. I am trying. Going through some major issues in my life and yes, I drink too much on occasion.

Have a happy and safe Thanksgiving. 

Mike

10 minutes ago, Modwriter said:

On point Bobby. I am trying. Going through some major issues in my life and yes, I drink too much on occasion.

Mike

Good on you dude. It takes a man to admit fault and work on it. 

19 minutes ago, Modwriter said:

Mike

I would not have seen your post except someone quoted you. I'm sorry for your troubles and I will put you in my prayers my friend! Sleepy Hollow has always been a good place to meet friends and help fellow collectors. You have a Safe and Happy Thanksgiving also! 

39 minutes ago, Modwriter said:

Mike

I bet you were a “drink and dial” guy in your youth, huh? Only one woman ever got me that sideways. She was magnificent. A lot like Audrey Hepburn in Breakfast at Tiffany’s. Yum. 

Edited by VKurtB

5 hours ago, VKurtB said:

And literally greater than 99.9% of the time, that answer is “no”. Truly, if you even have to ask, the answer is almost always “no”. There is a cost to doing it. Is there a benefit? Maybe yes, maybe no, but for nearly all beginner cases, the cost vastly outweighs the benefit. It should never be a goal per se. 

How about two things you are adamantly opposed to doing: buying coins sight-unseen, and joining a Set Registry?  Every one of my raw and "certified" coins were purchased sight-unseen and last I heard my set at PCGS is #1 ranked. That was never my intent, just an inadvertent coincidence, but now an MS-67 has shown up unobtrusively in a listing of same. I am inclined to acquire it assuming all risks at what appears to be an exorbitant price for two reasons: though it will upgrade my compilation with little difference in score, if I do not active quickly (it's in France but available thru a German site) it will be gone.  You can count the number with a similarly graded date, none graded higher by each of the major grading services, on two hands. We are talking $1,000. for a set that is already complete, but in my view, far from complete. There appears to be only two risk-takers among the dozens of set registrants here and there when it comes to Roosters. My only advice to risk-takers is if you have the courage of your convictions, carpe diem. A Happy Thanksgiving to all!

On 11/25/2020 at 5:56 PM, VKurtB said:

I bet you were a “drink and dial” guy in your youth, huh? Only one woman ever got me that sideways. She was magnificent. A lot like Audrey Hepburn in Breakfast at Tiffany’s. Yum. 

Drink and Dial? Never heard of that. I was a surfer, skater, stoner in hs/college..A real life Spicoli I was. My first wife has been a professor at Purdue for many years now. She was also a surfer stoner in hs. lol Many in our old hs clique have done very well in life.

Edited by Modwriter
Typo

I am not so new to coin collecting, but clueless on computers. For example how do I find my bio and edit it. I somehow signed up for comic books. I do happen to have 3 or 4 but my passion is coins and stamps. World and US. I am new to forum please be patient. Once I find that one detail i am missing it will all be good

Thank you,

Penny Pitstop

5 hours ago, penny pitstop said:

I am not so new to coin collecting, but clueless on computers. For example how do I find my bio and edit it. I somehow signed up for comic books. I do happen to have 3 or 4 but my passion is coins and stamps. World and US. I am new to forum please be patient. Once I find that one detail i am missing it will all be good

Thank you,

Penny Pitstop

This is pretty easy, even I know it!

in the upper right click on you name and it gives you choices look for profile

On 11/30/2020 at 4:57 AM, Moxie15 said:

This is pretty easy, even I know it!

in the upper right click on you name and it gives you choices look for profile

Yes, I was able to figure it out all by myself,   Moxie15. Thank you for your response. All forums are different and all quite intimidating, Thanks again.

Penny Pitstop(: