• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

GTG 1866 S Seated Dime
1 1

13 posts in this topic

This came to me raw from a Bowers auction about 25 years ago. PCGS graded it in 2006. 

What would you grade it and what would you guess it would bring at auction today. 

66s10c-8136-obv.jpg

66s10c-8136-rev.jpg

This one is giving me problems. It has what appears to be wear in some spots, but there are other spots where I would expect to find wear, but see none. It makes me wonder if there were die and/or strike issues that caused it to look worn.

I am going to err on the side of caution, and call it AU.

PCGS gave it a 62. Bowers had it as AU in the auction. I'm good with either grade.

Tough coin to set a value on. Not many come up for sale in this grade range.  

The Bowers auctions in those days were good to me. Bought a lot of scarce date Seated dimes at fair prices.

On 11/28/2020 at 1:29 AM, Just Bob said:

You have the coin in hand. Does it look to have been circulated?

Respectfully, now that a verdict has been rendered, Liberty Seated Dime, regular strikes, 1866-S PCGS [4644]?  MS-62, which they describe in their latest bi-monthly Rare Coin Market Report as: "will have no wear on high points.  There may be considerable marks and abrasions and some may be severe.  Some may not be full and eye appeal may be negative.  Luster may be dull," I am inclined to concur with the grading decision but continue to be puzzled by a Mint State scale that suggests something akin to Not Pregnant and Full-term Pregnancy, with gradations (based on months along in pregnancy) in between.

In all fairness, if grading could be done through the virtual submission of photographed examples, in-hand grading could be dispensed with.  The Report suggests an actual retail price of $5,000.-$6500.  Any discussion as to whether the coin appears to have been circulated would be an academic exercise.  I agree with your concerns and, quite frankly, am puzzled as to how a coin struck as a circulation strike, for release into circulation, can attain Uncirculated, Mint State status.