• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How did this quarter become speckled?

4 posts in this topic

Hi there! Fairly new coin collector here. From what I've researched, many silver/steel looking coins nowadays are mainly made of copper, so I'm guessing that's the brown that's showing through..? However, I am curious if anyone has an idea or theories of why it's in this specific pattern. It looks like maybe some sort of liquid chemical that ruined the top layer was spritzed onto the coin or something? I tried looking up similar photos and found nothing.

I'm not looking to see if this is valuable or anything. I'm just genuinely curious. I think it looks pretty cool! It's a fun little addition to my growing collection :)

PXL_20201117_050844138~2.jpg

PXL_20201117_050921929~2.jpg

Edited by Macquel

A normal quarter (post 1964) has a core of pure copper with outer light gray color cladding of copper (75%) nickel (25%) alloy. The copper-nickel is much harder and tougher than pure copper. Photos suggest the coin was exposed to a strong reagent that dissolved parts of the copper-nickel cladding, but was rinsed off before it reacted with the copper core. An odd looking coin but, as the OP noted, of no particular value.