• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Nothing like toned early gold...SHOW THEM OFF!
1 1

16 posts in this topic

20201109_202403.thumb.jpg.0fa583f758087d053bd517d47878a1a9.jpg
PUBLIC APOLOGY 

The following is made necessary because the gentleman to whom I directed my scurrilous remarks, by mocking his, and his reputable concern's, professional ability to grade a specific category of early Colonial coinage was unwarranted and without foundation, as the above example and following admission exemplifies.

This is a 1910 [PCGS MS-64+] French 20-franc gold rooster a/k/a or coq Marianne.  Description:  bright honey golden hue and original mint luster.  I purchased it raw in the grossly mistaken belief it would become, upon certification, the very first such coin in the 16-piece series to be adjudged MS-68, by any TPGS in the entire world.  While both the obverse and reverse appear flawless it is clear I had, and with the subsequent acquisition of many more such coins, continue to have a very limited understanding of basic grading apparently exacerbated by an extended absence from all things numismatic.

It is my fervent hope seasoned veteran, MarkFeld accepts my sincere apology for the rude and intemperate remarks I directed to him on another thread.

[I thank the OP, Outlaw, for inadvertently providing me with an opportunity to present my coin and afford me the opportunity to reach out to a member who is otherwise inaccessible to me.]

Here's one for Quintus

untitledegag.thumb.png.c5bd2a5bb6c9083f9cb072c5bff4b01f.png

It's only a 66 and they barfed up the TrueView ATS but I had to have it because toning isn't that common on Marianne coins.

BTW...There is no rim damage like it appears there is on the obverse above the I

I still don't know why they did an in-holder shot when I was having it re-slabbed.

Edited by Cat Bath

2 hours ago, Cat Bath said:

Here's one for Quintus

untitledegag.thumb.png.c5bd2a5bb6c9083f9cb072c5bff4b01f.png

It's only a 66 and they barfed up the TrueView ATS but I had to have it because toning isn't that common on Marianne coins.

BTW...There is no rim damage like it appears there is on the obverse above the I

I still don't know why they did an in-holder shot when I was having it re-slabbed.

"Only" an MS-66?  It happens to be the rarest date mintage-wise of the so-called re-strike series, 1907-1914; only the 1900, the second of the so-called original series, 1899-1906, is scarcest, with the 1899, the first date of the series coming in at third place.   Your 1911 is very nicely toned and speaks for itself.  Great catch, and thanks for brightening up my day! (I grew up with cats, all male, no two alike with different temperaments, one of which formed a lasting friendship with a mouse we had.)

3 hours ago, ldhair said:

I just have this one dirty looking thing. 

Oh my, that is bound to contaminate your other beautiful clean coins, I shall pm you my address where you can send it for proper disposal.  (:

Observation suggests that Sesquicentennial quarter eagles seem to tone/tarnish more than other gold of 1926 --- or maybe that's just a biased sample....(shrug)