• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hello
1 1

16 posts in this topic

Hi, I am a new forum member from NY but not a new collector. I've actually been collecting since a youngin' for over 40 years. I joined this forum for the comradery, light-hearted banter and friendship in the hobby we all share. I collect US type coins but am easily distracted and like tokens, hobos, etc.  I especially like early type coins.  (while typing this I hit the spoiler button...what does the spoiler do?)

Anyway, just wanted to introduce myself so you know I'm not a weirdo. I am a bit weird but not in the "weird-guy-behind-the-keyboard" kind of way.

Spoiler

Welcome to the forum, I am a Lincoln cent collector at heart but also enjoy early type especially the seated series coins.  Share some photos of some coins and we look forward to your contributions. 

Welcome!  I think you'll like it here. :hi:

I specialize in Walkers but also like Morgans, Standing Libs, Buffalos and Mercs.

I also have an interest in Seated and Bust coinage.

This is a good place to share coins, acquire knowledge and make friends.  :grin:

Enjoy!!

Welcome !!  Intermediate coin collector...on-and-off over the decades.  I seem to take time off when I have $$$ and when I have time and no $$$, that's when I get more involved. xD

I specialize in Saint-Gaudens and dabble in some modern commemoratives, Morgans, and bullion types.

Welcome. I really don't collect coins --- I concentrate on research and writing about American coins, minting, technology and operations. Former CCAC member, etc., etc. Members here will be glad to exchange information, photos, snide remarks, bad puns and assorted numismatic ephemera.

Feel free to ask any questions - even the most seemingly commonplace.

Thanks everyone for your replies! 

19 hours ago, Just Bob said:

Welcome to the forum!

What kind of tokens interest you?

I like early hard times tokens and Civil War tokens. 

13 hours ago, GoldFinger1969 said:

Punk, do you have any Saints or Morgans ?  If not, what types do you have in quantity ?

While I've owned some Saints in the past, I do not own any at this time. My Morgan collection has a lot to be desired too. I have a few but never got into that coin. Sorry but they seem ubiquitous. I'm a type collector so I have a lot of coins but no series really in quantity. I have researched and read a lot so I do know my stuff. I prefer less common dates in a series. For example, I have a nice circulated 1864 Seated Dollar for the no motto Seated Dollar variety instead of the more common 1842, 1859-O as examples.

29 minutes ago, punkaccountant said:

While I've owned some Saints in the past, I do not own any at this time.

Interesting.....did you bail on them because you wanted other coins or did you sense a price decline coming in what may have been one of your more expensive (bullion/numismatic) coins ?

My experience is that even those who move on from Saint activity keep a few of their favorites.

1 hour ago, GoldFinger1969 said:

Interesting.....did you bail on them because you wanted other coins or did you sense a price decline coming in what may have been one of your more expensive (bullion/numismatic) coins ?

My experience is that even those who move on from Saint activity keep a few of their favorites.

If I recall correctly, I sold them to acquire a 1916 Standing Lby Qtr, which I subsequently sold for a 1796 Draped Bust Qtr. 

I have nothing against Saints but the ones I had were common dates and I'm picky and waiting for a nice one with a good strike where Liberty doesn't look like a Klingon. At this time, I'm just not focusing on them.

4 hours ago, punkaccountant said:

..... waiting for a nice one with a good strike where Liberty doesn't look like a Klingon. At this time, I'm just not focusing on them.

Akkkkk....Nooooo...You've discovered the great secret.... Gene Roddenberry and Marc Okrand traveled back in time and replaced Saint-Gaudens' Liberty (or Victory) figure with the Klingon Goddess of Annihilation (pronounced "hel-oh keti.")

That's why the figure is so robust with a squished face and flat feet.

7 hours ago, punkaccountant said:

I have nothing against Saints but the ones I had were common dates and I'm picky and waiting for a nice one with a good strike where Liberty doesn't look like a Klingon. At this time, I'm just not focusing on them.

Well, when you do be sure to chime in on Rogers's Saints Double Eagle book thread and let us know what you see.  (thumbsu 

Welcome!  Your mention of hobos was the very first I've heard from any member on this site.  I haven't any myself but if you do, feel free to post them. I am not even sure how they're classified but have marveled at the artistry skills the end products represent. Great stuff!

Edited by Quintus Arrius
Clarification