• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1878 Morgan S thinking about sending for grading

9 posts in this topic

You will be wasting your money, the coin has been polished has no numismatic value and will not be straight graded.

I was going to say the same thig but Coinbuf beat me to it.

how can you tell if a coins been polished? 

Besides the unatural shine, just look between the letters and the stars. See how there is still dirt that has not been cleaned out, this wouldn't be there if the coin had not been cleaned and was not dirty to start with.

Edited by Greenstang
Correct typo

Harsh cleaning lines/marks are different than polished, I made my determination that the coin is polished because as noted the unnatural shine and how that covers both the fields and devices especially the cheek area but also the hair.  There is always a difference in the look and sheen between the fields and the devices in a photo due to the differences in relief, your coin has the same look across the full coin.

Good thing I only have  ~$33 all fees into it.... not all of them were cleaned ....at 

Least I don’t think so. I’ll post some pics and you guys can tell me if any of them were worth my $ if you don’t mind.

image.jpg