• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1983 DDR? FS-802?
1 1

7 posts in this topic

I guess I’m just in a posting mood today. In the same bag of spare change I found the 1970 D with a 1968 reverse earlier today, I also found this. Unfortunately it’s not the FS-801 but Im thinking the 802?? The D in UNITED really stood out as well as the O in OF. The thickness in both of the S’s is very apparent. There’s depressions in the A&M of AMERICA along with some other apparent doubling on the O in ONE. It is a zinc..... (darn it). If this is MD or DDD then I give up... lol  The second T in STATES may appear to have some MD but it is counter clockwise from all the other doubling on the coin. I have compared it to other 83’ DDR’s and strongly feel this coin does show true doubling. There’s really nothing going on in UNITED as an 802 shows predominantly in the U & N. Not sure why but this may be a LDS example??? even though the devices look pretty good. As always, thanks for your input!! 

43B202FA-43D0-411B-B3DA-F4AF7F8C0D4B.jpeg

3071298C-2996-4C64-A0BB-03DDFF60C1B3.jpeg

E063AE2D-4D6C-4F54-A691-43C57A7F5C37.jpeg

While some aspects of the FS-802 seem to be there overall I think this coin has too much die erosion to make a clear call,  For example the "O" of one looks the part but the "N" of one shows no indication of doubling at all.  In my opinion chalk it up to close but no cigar.

1 hour ago, Coinbuf said:

While some aspects of the FS-802 seem to be there overall I think this coin has too much die erosion to make a clear call,  For example the "O" of one looks the part but the "N" of one shows no indication of doubling at all.  In my opinion chalk it up to close but no cigar.

Thank you Coinbuf for your comment, greatly appreciated. Hopefully you, and several others, know me by now and I am not going to argue or disagree with someone of your caliber.  
I have to ask though, did you happen to see the D in UNITED?  (My downloads were very slow today... and may not have come through)

I completely agree that the N of ONE  has no indication of doubling. Neither does UNITED which should be there, especially in the UN but the D is what really caught my attention. That to me looks like real doubling along with the O in OF. I will admit that my pics on this post were not the best. I will try to do better in the future. Thanks again for your comment Coinbuf. 

I don't think I was very clear in my first reply, I do think you have an FS-802.  However the extreme late die condition (notice that VV lists the die crack to the right of the memorial but not the one your coins shows to the left of the memorial) and extreme die erosion have wiped out most of the PUP's.  That is why its difficult to attribute, what is there is dead on, its what is missing and new, (the presence of the second die crack) that are stopping me from saying for sure yes.

1 hour ago, Coinbuf said:

I don't think I was very clear in my first reply, I do think you have an FS-802.  However the extreme late die condition (notice that VV lists the die crack to the right of the memorial but not the one your coins shows to the left of the memorial) and extreme die erosion have wiped out most of the PUP's.  That is why its difficult to attribute, what is there is dead on, its what is missing and new, (the presence of the second die crack) that are stopping me from saying for sure yes.

Thank you for your thorough examination of my pics. I pulled up VV FS-802 pics, as well as coppercoins, and looked at them in depth. Nowhere did it show anything about a die crack on the left of the memorial as you mentioned. I now see the die crack in the pic I posted on the left of the Memorial, thanks. My coin does look to have a die crack on the lower right of the Memorial but it does not extend to the edge as shown in VV (see new picture attached).  I am still learning about all of the PUP’s and markers associated with varieties in EDS, MDS, and LDS so please bear with me, I am still learning. Your helpful insight and knowledge are greatly appreciated. Thanks!

FB775A8C-86E5-4B7A-8F4D-075A71BA9479.jpeg