• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What happened to this 1955 Penny?
1 1

7 posts in this topic

I am a know nothing and trying to learn.  Any help is greatly appreciated.

As the pictures show, the first 5, L I and T Cent all are clearly odd.  I assumed PMD, but found it strange that the 5 and T both have very similar oddities.  

If this is a mint struck error how do I determine that if it is not an accepted variety?

What are the quick key signs of PMD versus Mint errors?

Is there anything I am missing that is a potential error or damage besides the ones I mentioned?

I have good clear  pictures of all three zoomed in, but was limited by file size to these two.  I’m happy to post more in comments if you’d like.

Thank you!
884BA16C-4DB1-49E5-ACEC-90443D5BDCEA.thumb.jpeg.4b73380e319560fa3d9d01421e2bdce2.jpeg

4D0FBBFA-8C58-4BBF-9652-89E8D8B6A740.jpeg

Let me start by saying excellent pictures.

Everything that you are showing is PMD, I cannot see any true errors anywhere.

Sometimes it can be difficult for new collectors to tell the difference between errors and damage. One thing to remember is that it is only an error if it happens during the actual striking of the coin, anything that happens after that is damage, even if it happens in the mint. There are a limited number of things that can happen to create an error but there are countless things that can create damage. Things like dings, scratches, distorted letters,  markings that appear to look like numbers and letters, discolouration, counter stamps are all considered damage. 

By reading some of the numerous websites available, you can quickly begin to learn the differences. Here are two that I find are informative.

error-ref.com

wexlers

Edited by Greenstang
Correct typo

On 10/20/2020 at 12:04 PM, VKurtB said:

"It's a hard knock life for us...."

Yeah Kurt..... but you and the others on this forum are so diligently accommodating to newcomers!  I was one myself awhile back and I have learned a tremendous amount from all of the gracious educational comments given to me by you and so many other members here. Thank you. 
This Linc is no doubt PMD unfortunately even though I know the OP does not want to hear that.
I’ve been in their shoes..... been there done that...... and with the outstanding support on this forum I have become a very knowledgeable person particularly on Lincoln Cents. Thanks!

On 10/19/2020 at 7:55 AM, Greenstang said:

Let me start by saying excellent pictures.

Everything that you are showing is PMD, I cannot see any true errors anywhere.

Sometimes it can be difficult for new collectors to tell the difference between errors and damage. One thing to remember is that it is only an error if it happens during the actual striking of the coin, anything that happens after that is damage, even if it happens in the mint. There are a limited number of things that can happen to create an error but there are countless things that can create damage. Things like dings, scratches, distorted letters,  markings that appear to look like numbers and letters, discolouration, counter stamps are all considered damage. 

By reading some of the numerous websites available, you can quickly begin to learn the differences. Here are two that I find are informative.

error-ref.com

wexlers

I know this thread is a week old but I wanted to thank Greenstang for his great explanation regarding the efforts  to determine and distinguish between  Mint errors from Post Mint Damage. As Greenstang mentioned, very good pics. When pics are that clear it REALLY helps in determining the subject at hand.