• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1984 P mint Dime

4 posts in this topic

Sorry in advance I'm a novice. Just started collecting. Just came across 1984 P mint Dime.

Has an unusual mark on the reverse side. Wondering if anyone could help me out. Also believe this to be a double die..?

Picture_20203516023547.jpg

Picture_20203516023524.jpg

Welcome to the forum.  Are you talking about the ding on the edge?  If so that is just damage.  I see some doubling on IN GOD WE TRUST but I don't believe that is from a doubled die.  Might be die deterioration or mechanical doubling, I am sure others will be along to verify.

Welcome to the Forum-

First a terminology correction. The proper term is Doubled Die, not Double Die ( a common mistake with new collectors). Also do not handle coins with your bare hands unless by the edges, shoot your photos on a neutral coloured flat surface.

The ding on the rim is just damage from taking a hit, it is only an error if something happens while the coin is in the striking chamber. What you believe is a Doubled Die is called Die Deterioration Doubling caused by the die becoming worn. There is no premium for this.

Feel free to post any other questions you may have.

Edited by Greenstang