• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Lucky Penny (Cent)

15 posts in this topic

Here in Buffalo, Pan Am stuff used to be so common. In the 70's and 80's I bought and sold so much stuff. I had an awful lot of those lucky Indians.

Like everything else, years of dealer advertising has dried most of that kind of thing up......

45 minutes ago, thebeav said:

Here in Buffalo, Pan Am stuff used to be so common. In the 70's and 80's I bought and sold so much stuff. I had an awful lot of those lucky Indians.

Like everything else, years of dealer advertising has dried most of that kind of thing up......

I bet - I used to see so many of these floating around. Just pulled this one out of my cigar box that has a lot of vintage, but not valuable stuff. It was sitting next to a few manipulated cents from Oak Ridge National Laboratory and some Chiense cash coins.

Those are actually cool bits, I can remember seeing lots of those at shows many years ago too.  I don't have a pocket piece myself, I hate to jingle when I walk.  lol

Every so often someone will post a 1901 cent and ask about what the strange markings are on the rim.  They are cents that have been removed from this encasement.  You can see on the one above where the design of the four leaf clover extend onto the rim of the coin.

I carried this one in my pocket for a while to see if I could wear the cleaning marks off by legitimate means.( I don't have an "after" pic) It is now in an envelope to see if it will tone a bit.

100_1674 (2).JPG

100_1675 (2).JPG

7 hours ago, Just Bob said:

I carried this one in my pocket for a while to see if I could wear the cleaning marks off by legitimate means.( I don't have an "after" pic) It is now in an envelope to see if it will tone a bit.

100_1674 (2).JPG

100_1675 (2).JPG

Always liked those.

RE: "Just pulled this one out of my cigar box that has a lot of vintage, but not valuable stuff."

That is possibly one of the most useful parts of this hobby - the vicarious time travel that comes with shadows of ordinary life; valuable beyond mere money.

Edited by RWB

This was my lucky coin that I carried in my pocket in the late sixties to flip 'heads or tails'. This is also the first coin I ever saved, the same coin I posted a picture of in kbbpll's thread 'your least recent acquisition'. When I got dressed, pocket knife and this coin went in my left pocket, lighter and motorcycle key in my right pocket. If they weren't there, I didn't feel 'complete'. I can't remember when it disappeared, about '71 or so, but I found it in a cigar box a few years ago, and memories came rushing back. Luck.

20200829_162543_jpg_615fb6ce247c91be0fa44a8bb9de201e.jpg

20200829_162628_jpg_6e6995240b4a370e3ca13003d0af8dc9.jpg

Edited by ronnie stein
I dunno

8 hours ago, James_OldeTowne said:

I apologize for linking to an active auction item, but here is one I REALLY like:

1901 Encased Cent

The last time I remember  you did was on a bust half that I WAS getting for a deal...

I spent more than I wanted but I got it..

On 10/27/2020 at 4:18 PM, James_OldeTowne said:

I apologize for linking to an active auction item, but here is one I REALLY like:

1901 Encased Cent

Sure would like to know when this little jewel was mounted and where it spent the last 100+ years unmolested in suspended animation. Never seen anything like this.