• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Newbie (Brand new)-Inherited Coins and have no idea where to start

7 posts in this topic

Hi all. I inherited my dad’s coin collection which he pretty much did for fun. He collected a lot of our coins.  He took a lot of time into organizing them but for all I know they could be worthless.  Where would you suggest I start in finding out if the time and effort is even worth having these looked at and if so, who/where/how would I go about doing that?  

Hi Kimm

Welcome to the Forum.

In order to help you, we are going to need some information. Are they all US coins? What years and denominations? Are there any silver coins?  Also the grade of a coin  makes all the difference in it's value. If there is something you think is special, post a clear photo of both sides and someone here will be able to help you. 

By knowing what you have will help us in determining what to do with them.

Welcome to the forum, it sounds like your dad was a very organized guy so maybe he has a record of what he had and even what he might have payed for each coin.  Many collectors (myself included) use a spreadsheet like excel or a simple handwritten ledger to keep track of this info.  You might want to do some looking for something like this which might help you with a starting point.  We will be happy to help as much as we can if you can post a list of dates and grades with some photos so we have something to go on, you already mentioned it but be prepared for the simple truth that not all old coins are worth high values.  Another great reference is the Red Book which you might be able to find at your local library, the pricing in this reference (keep in mind the prices are just a guide) will help assist you in determining which coins have more value than others as you sort thru things.  Another possibility is to find a local coin store and see if they are willing to review and offer an assessment of your inheritance.  One warning, coin shops buy at steep discounts from retail prices so if possible I suggest you do your homework first before you attempt to visit a shop or accept an offer.

Best of luck with your new coin collection.

Edited by Coinbuf

Hi Greenstang.  Thank you so much for the quick reply.  They’re mostly all US coins, pennies, nickels, dimes, quarters, 1/2 and $1, 1900 and on. There’s a couple older ones but the quality isn’t good. I have some silver proof sets and random silver coins. In all honesty I have no idea what’s considered special. I started reading up on coins but I have a long way to go.  I’m sorry I can’t be more descriptive but I am very new. 

Edited by Kimm

6 minutes ago, Coinbuf said:

Welcome to the forum, it sounds like your dad was a very organized guy so maybe he has a record of what he had and even what he might have payed for each coin.  Many collectors (myself included) use a spreadsheet like excel or a simple handwritten ledger to keep track of this info.  You might want to do some looking for something like this which might help you with a starting point.  We will be happy to help as much as we can if you can post a list of dates and grades with some photos so we have something to go on, you already mentioned it but be prepared for the simple truth that not all old coins are worth high values.  Another great reference is the Red Book which you might be able to find at your local library, the pricing in this reference (keep in mind the prices are just a guide) will help assist you in determining which coins have more value than others as you sort thru things.  Another possibility is to find a local coin store and see if they are willing to review and offer an assessment of your inheritance.  One warning, coin shops buy at steep discounts from retail prices so if possible I suggest you do your homework first before you attempt to visit a shop or accept an offer.

Best of luck with your new coin collection.

Hi Coinbuf.  Thanks so much for the detailed reply.  Unfortunately there wasn’t a spreadsheet or anything specific to reference with the coin collection but he did put some in binders and labeled them as well so that will definitely help.  My dad actually had an older Red Book within his collection. I’m going to seek out the most recent one and do some studying.  I did locate a local coin dealer that said they’d be happy to take a look but I’m trying to study up prior to heading there.  I’d like to be equipped with as much knowledge as possible.  I figured it was a good idea to pay for this website membership and talk to some well educated coin experts prior to doing anything else.

We can't help you very much when we have no idea what you have. It sounds like you have U.S. coins.

Are all of your dad's coins in albums, or are some of them in certification holders? Either way, you could have a little or a lot.

Please follow Bill Jones' suggestions.

If you post some photos, tightly cropped, of the coins/albums, etc., members will be better able to help. Look for items in 2x2 paper coin holders or that are in plastic holders. Also anything with a price on it or that is made of gold.