• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help with 2020 Palladium Eagle

26 posts in this topic

13 minutes ago, Eatonpc said:

It’s still in the box.

Im expecting a 5oz silver quarter any day now. I will be sending it in for grading. Can you post a pic of it in the box?

4 hours ago, Modwriter said:

Im expecting a 5oz silver quarter any day now. I will be sending it in for grading. Can you post a pic of it in the box?

Not sure why he needs to post a picture of it?  Only bad things can happen by opening the box and handling the coin.

8 hours ago, Eatonpc said:

Hello,

I just got the 2020 Palladium Eagle from the US Mint. This is the first time that I will try to send in a coin for grading. Is anyone else submitting this coin? Any advice on what to ask for?

Not really much you can ask for.  I would NOT open the box or take it out of the box.  I would simply put it in a larger box and send it off for grading.  

You could ask for Early Release or First Releases designation on the label if you are into that kind of thing.  You have to ask for it on the submission form, and NGC has to receive the coin withing 30 days of it's release.  However, by not opening the box, you can extend that 30 days indefinitely if you send in an unopened, mint supplied box along with your receipt.  A coin of that value, I would also request photos, but that costs more as well.  

52 minutes ago, Eatonpc said:

Thank you for the advice. I know this is probably a stupid question, but why do you recommend I ask for photos. Thanks again.

If you ever go to sell it, it is another point of comparison to prove it's authenticity.  I mean, if I were to buy a $3000 coin in an NGC slab, I would feel better if I could compare it to photos on the NGC website.  

PALLADIUM PRICING:  Figured I'd give some thoughts on palladium prices. 

I am EXTREMELY bearish on the price for palladium and that entire white metals group.  They took off on speculative frenzy and cutbacks in Russian supplies. Palladium is basically a 1-trick pony that is used mostly in autos for catalytic converters.  That is about 80-90% of annual demand, about 10 million ounces annually.

However, with the switch to EVs, that source of global demand is going to decline every year out to 2030 and then beyond.  Plus, in the short term, U.S. and global auto production is being cut as automakers cut down to save $$$ and throw it into EV CAPX.  The U.S. used to produce 17 MM autos each year; now it is 13 MM.  Similar cutbacks globally.

Palladium rose from $500 in 2016 to $3,000 a few years ago.  I can see it going back to half the price of gold in the next few years, maybe sooner.

All PMs are speculations, but palladium doesn't face headwinds going forward...it faces a hurricane. xD

Edited by GoldFinger1969

You would have to submit it under the Modern tier. I am not sure they will grade it in the Mint Box as they do with other Mint sealed issues (as in blue chip IKE's, or GSA Morgans). You should call NGC directly to ask that question as I have only seen these graded in typical NGC holders and NGC is not allowed to remove your coin from the original packaging for the risk of getting blamed for damage resulting in doing so. There are three labels that I know of that you can request to be put on the label which are High Relief, Early Release (or First Releases), and First Day of Issue. I am not sure how you go about proving which category it falls under.

I would in your case here call NGC directly and ask their customer service to help guide you through your submission. They are there to help you get the proper way to submit and also get the correct label for your coin.

This is a cobweb laden thread but I would not have ANY American Eagle coin graded - silver, gold, platinum, palladium or dog 💩. There is no added value to be had above the original packaging. 

On 2/24/2023 at 11:32 AM, VKurtB said:

I would not have ANY American Eagle coin graded

I was thinking it but didnt write it....................I am in the same mind set....  Nothing after1964 should be slabbed.........  waste of time and money in my opinion.

On 2/24/2023 at 11:04 AM, JT2 said:

I was thinking it but didnt write it....................I am in the same mind set....  Nothing after1964 should be slabbed.........  waste of time and money in my opinion.

Pretty close. I can think of a few exceptions, but not a bunch. Mostly non-U.S. for exhibit purposes.

On 2/24/2023 at 12:04 PM, JT2 said:

It does have value:  protection of the coin...easier to view it and show it around....if it is a 70 or 69 people DO pay up for that.

Would I spend Big Buck$$$ slabbing dozens or hundreds of moderns ?  No....but a few favorites, probably. (thumbsu 

On 2/24/2023 at 3:24 PM, VKurtB said:

I’ll buy the showing and handling part, but not protection from environmental issues. I have coins in “perfect fit” capsules doing far better than coins in PCGS, NGC, and in particular ANACS slabs. Anyone who slabs coins to “preserve” them is running a fool’s errand. Capsules work as well as slabs for finger issues. 

My opinion they probably work better. Taking them out of one capsule to put in another makes a greater risk of exposure to contaminants. When I first started collecting I had a couple ASEs slabbed. I bought into the hype that it makes them more valuable from what I read on Google.  Then I learned better on the forum. I keep them in their OGP now. Same with modern commeratives. I can see people slabbing them to enter them in the registry but I dont ever plan on doing a registry set of eagles or modern bullion. 

I never send in coins but have graded coins and ungraded coins. One difference is most coin sales are based on grade. If I have a labeled MS70 and a identical raw MS70 for sale is the raw coin a 70? The buyer can say it is a 69 or 68. There is no proof it is a opinion without that MS70 label on the case. The experienced collector knows what is what, the disadvantage now days is it has turned into the slab grade is the true value.      

On 2/25/2023 at 9:03 AM, J P M said:

If I have a labeled MS70  The experienced collector knows what is what, the disadvantage now days is it has turned into the slab grade is the true value.      

For some coins, yes...but let's not pretend that among even "experts" there is no disagreement on coins, plus among TPGs, too.

On 2/23/2023 at 9:31 PM, GoldFinger1969 said:

PALLADIUM PRICING:  Figured I'd give some thoughts on palladium prices.  I am EXTREMELY bearish on the price for palladium and that entire white metals group.  They took off on speculative frenzy and cutbacks in Russian supplies. Palladium is basically a 1-trick pony that is used mostly in autos for catalytic converters.  That is about 80-90% of annual demand, about 10 million ounces annually.  However, with the switch to EVs, that source of global demand is going to decline every year out to 2030 and then beyond.  Plus, in the short term, U.S. and global auto production is being cut as automakers cut down to save $$$ and throw it into EV CAPX.  The U.S. used to produce 17 MM autos each year; now it is 13 MM.  Similar cutbacks globally.  Palladium rose from $500 in 2016 to $3,000 a few years ago.  I can see it going back to half the price of gold in the next few years, maybe sooner. All PMs are speculations, but palladium doesn't face headwinds going forward...it faces a hurricane. xD

So far, palladium and platinum have gotten hit since I wrote this, relative to gold.

Platinum has done OK, probably since it was substituted for pricier palladium and this kept up demand.  But palladium is off 30% as it was much pricier than platinum and it was cheaper to use that in the face of falling ICE demand.

Now that they are both about the same price per ounce, it will be interesting to see where they go price-wise.  90% of underlying ICE demand is at risk and I would not be shocked to see either or both at $500 an ounce within a few years.