Lincoln toning
1 1

7 posts in this topic

220 posts

I’ve looked at a lot of Lincoln’s over the years but this one is by far the most colorful I’ve ever seen. I have seen toning on numerous coins but this one really stood out. It just came out of a bank roll I got today. The pics don’t do it justice. The blue toning on this cent does not show up in the photos as good as looking at it in person. I don’t think this is a “washed” coin being that it is a 2006D and not a proof. Just curious how this happens. Thanks. 

A254ED97-4396-40D6-8102-43971534E331.jpeg

229B5D68-524A-4CD6-87D4-E916693AEF95.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,992 posts

I'm sure the coin looks better in person as toning is hard to photograph. I know when I have tried, they turn out more black that toned. Toning and the different colours of toning are  caused by whatever environmental conditions they were exposed too. Some exposures can create rainbow colours while others can make the coin look dirty.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,472 posts

It may have gone through the washing machine. I've seen similar results when I forgot to empty my pockets.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
220 posts
3 hours ago, Greenstang said:

I'm sure the coin looks better in person as toning is hard to photograph. I know when I have tried, they turn out more black that toned. Toning and the different colours of toning are  caused by whatever environmental conditions they were exposed too. Some exposures can create rainbow colours while others can make the coin look dirty.

You’re right about hard to photograph the toning. It is very colorful and the areas that look black or dirty are more of a blue tint.  Just a neat colored coin no doubt and worth.....well.... 1 cent.... :) Thanks Greenstang. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
220 posts
1 hour ago, DWLange said:

It may have gone through the washing machine. I've seen similar results when I forgot to empty my pockets.

Thanks DWLange. Didn’t think about that. 👍

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,108 posts

Copper has some interesting color reactions to many common household cleaners, including dish soap and laundry detergent, much of the color change depends on what is on the surface of the coin.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
220 posts
15 minutes ago, Coinbuf said:

Copper has some interesting color reactions to many common household cleaners, including dish soap and laundry detergent, much of the color change depends on what is on the surface of the coin.

Thank you Coinbuf for that comment. I have never really seen a Lincoln exhibit this much of a “rainbow” effect of colors. But, after the previous replies, and some more research on my part, I am I am understanding more so how this can occur. Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
1 1