• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pakistan Pie with Mint Chips? Strike-through, flaw, or PMD?

5 posts in this topic

OK. No way the anomaly here is from die chipping, but I couldn't have made up that spiffy title without a tad bit of 'literary license'. 

So... Strike-through, planchet flaw, or Post-Mint Damage? I say Strike-through. 

IMG_20200924_152158~3.jpg

IMG_20200924_152219~2.jpg

Post mint damage wouldn't go "under" the devices as you show. A mark of that nature would affect the lettering as well. 

A lamination (or, delamination) is usually linear in pattern - it usually follows the rolled pattern of the strip before it was cut into planchets. This isn't necessarily always the case, but it is typical. Its unusual to see a lamination in the wavy pattern shown here. 

The problem with a strike-through is that it would also affect the devices. The pattern seems recessed into the coin, but a strike through would also affect the lettering (which appears crisp in your image). 

7 minutes ago, physics-fan3.14 said:

Post mint damage wouldn't go "under" the devices as you show. A mark of that nature would affect the lettering as well. 

A lamination (or, delamination) is usually linear in pattern - it usually follows the rolled pattern of the strip before it was cut into planchets. This isn't necessarily always the case, but it is typical. Its unusual to see a lamination in the wavy pattern shown here. 

The problem with a strike-through is that it would also affect the devices. The pattern seems recessed into the coin, but a strike through would also affect the lettering (which appears crisp in your image). 

Where the anomaly goes through the -script and the 1 in the date, it caused a slight depression. The 1 dips slightly, as if sagging, where it intersects the anomaly. For some reason, the metal did not fill in the 1 completely, nor part of the -script and the design elements near the rim. 

On 9/24/2020 at 6:39 PM, physics-fan3.14 said:

Thank you for your thought out reply. Glad we agree it's not PMD, and you're right about the strike through conflict. After another close examination, and essentially ruling out a strike through, it occurred to me that it may have happened when the strips were being rolled out before the blanks were punched. The tiny 'canal' ends right before the top of the rim, though the depth tapers away just before the edge.  There is that slight disruption of design at the 1 and where the canal "passes through" the -script. The edge is perfectly formed and smooth. It's actually reflective, this is a well struck tiny coin. 

It's a 'rolled through' planchet flaw, I would now estimate. Occurring during the rolling/thinning of the strips in the planchet manufacturing process. Some foreign matter was on the surface as it was being drawn through the rollers, and its image was left behind. Perhaps a piece of wire. When the coin was struck, the 'image' was distorted by the dynamic forces of pressure. The 1 and -script were mostly filled in, thanks to the channeling of metal flow along and through the recesses of the die.

I've accumulated a couple of dozen oddities over the 25 plus years that I've been working shops and shows. Some are obvious errors, but a few are essentially puzzles. None of them were purchased individually, nor was there any notice by the seller of their unusual nature, (except for a blank large cent planchet.) 

This is the first time I've had the opportunity to show and discuss them, other than a brief addition to someone else's thread over at the CU PCGS forum. 

Your input is appreciated.

27 minutes ago, ProfHaroldHill said:

It's a 'rolled through' planchet flaw, I would now estimate. Occurring during the rolling/thinning of the strips in the planchet manufacturing process. Some foreign matter was on the surface as it was being drawn through the rollers, and its image was left behind. Perhaps a piece of wire. When the coin was struck, the 'image' was distorted by the dynamic forces of pressure. The 1 and ---script were mostly filled in, thanks to the channeling of metal flow along and through the recesses...

The reason I stayed away from the laminated planchet theory was, in part, due to the unusual nature of the depression, as you, (physics-fan,) note, and also due to the high quality of the coin. There are no streaks, no crystalline granular areas seen, and the bottom of the depression is bright and identical in color to the areas of least patination on the coin's surface.

It seems more a 'stretch' to have it fit the mold, so to speak, of a lamination flaw, than to conceptualize it as a flaw occurring during the blank production process.

Edited by ProfHaroldHill
Clarification