1996-D penny error
1 1

11 posts in this topic

698 posts

Hello, I'm not for sure on this one , if it is damaged or a mint error. If this took a hit through circulation, than that was a even hit. But I'm looking at the crease and lines on Lincoln's coat and thinking it was a mint error. Idk, maybe you can let me know more about it. Thanks 

20200914_133729.jpg

20200914_133556.jpg

20200914_133524.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,133 posts

Could be a strike thru, could be a scratch, cannot say for sure from the photo.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
698 posts
1 hour ago, Coinbuf said:

Could be a strike thru, could be a scratch, cannot say for sure from the photo.

Hi Coinbuf, what's a better option to get a better photo. Should I zoom in on my scope and get a better close up. Idk if that will work but it might. Thanks 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
268 posts

That is an interesting coin. 

You can see it, so tell us...

1. Is it into the coin or raised above it?

2. what do you think could have made the mark?

 

Edited for typoing...again

Edited by Moxie15

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
698 posts
43 minutes ago, Moxie15 said:

That is an interesting coin. 

You can see it, so tell us...

1. Is it into the coin or raised above it?

2. what do you think could have made the mark?

 

Edited for typoing...again

True, sorry for that, yes it's in the coin not raised. So that would have taken a hit through circulation right. It's just odd the way it looks and how it goes from collar straight down perfectly on the back. Hmmm 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,133 posts

The thing I cannot tell from the pics is if there is a raised edge where field meets the valley or is it just flat then down into the valley.  My first thought was a scratch but it looks deep enough that I would also expect to see some silver from the zinc below, so just not sure.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5,275 posts

Couldn't something have hit it, or pressed into it, rather than scratch it, and could the plating have stretched enough to not be torn? Looks like a dent, to me.

Edited by Just Bob

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
268 posts
3 hours ago, Just Bob said:

Couldn't something have hit it, or pressed into it, rather than scratch it, and could the plating have stretched enough to not be torn? Looks like a dent, to me.

it could have, Do you think it is damage, Bob?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5,275 posts
3 hours ago, Moxie15 said:

it could have, Do you think it is damage, Bob?

I do, but I am going by two fuzzy pictures, so I may be mistaken. It looks like the line goes from the collar to the rim.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
698 posts
55 minutes ago, Just Bob said:

I do, but I am going by two fuzzy pictures, so I may be mistaken. It looks like the line goes from the collar to the rim.

Your right bob, I didn't see that. Good eye. And it matches with the line. Maybe I need to scope the coin's better. My bad.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
1 1