• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Proof coin miss strike or doubling?

12 posts in this topic

Here a 2000s quarter from a 2000s (10) coin silver Us Proof set. All number and letter devices have "smeared" proof layer. no doubling evident at this eye view. Some "smearing" on bottom of Washingtons ribbon. Reverese is fine, as is all other coins. NOTE: there are no physical deformations of the devices, e.g, split serifs, machine doubling. Its like misslayered icing on a cake. Any ideas? Thank you Don

DSCN0841.JPG

DSCN0842.JPG

DSCN0843.JPG

DSCN0843.JPG

DSCN0845.JPG

DSCN0846.JPG

DSCN0847.JPG

DSCN0848.JPG

Modern US proof coins are struck twice on a special press. This coin looks like there was a slight jiggle between blows, or mechanical doubling during one blow. This letter from 1973 is germane and will provide some possible answers.

19730920 double image prf coins-1_Page_1.jpg

19730920 double image prf coins-1_Page_2.jpg

Edited by RWB

2 minutes ago, RWB said:

Modern US proof coins are struck twice on a special press. This coin looks like there was a slight jiggle between blows, or mechanical  doubling during one blow.

No typical machine type doubling evident. The devices have solid foundations, no "stepping" or "sliding" of device letters or numbers. Just the frost element is off center. What would I call this?

Many of the letters do indeed show what would be considered a true double die effect.  I do not think it would be considered a double die as the die was not doubled but it is a mint error as something shifted between the two strikes.  Very cool.

These photos show more frosty detail. A 2nd strike error, or misaligned die set; Trial proof? Earthquake, tremor? what would I label this? Have you seen one yourself? Thanks for the posted info.

I do not feel we know enough about production of modern proofs - and all the problems that accompany the technology - to make more than hesitant guesses. The 1973 letter is a good example - there is no follow-up about what was done, what was discovered, how it occurred and the remedy.

Edited by RWB