• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Slabbed coin storage question

6 posts in this topic

does anyone have any proven long term storage methods for slabbed coins.  I currently am putting them in GUARDHOUSE SHIELD coin slab protector bags and inside NGC slab storage boxes.  please advise and thanks for the inputs on lighting on my last post.  I have old school OTT lights coming.

7 hours ago, Paul Hills said:

does anyone have any proven long term storage methods for slabbed coins.  I currently am putting them in GUARDHOUSE SHIELD coin slab protector bags and inside NGC slab storage boxes.  please advise and thanks for the inputs on lighting on my last post.  I have old school OTT lights coming.

Those sound good to me.

Sounds like you've got a good setup going now. Pretty similar to what I have.

I also like the hard cases with the foam rails and handle, only problem with those is the foam will form a "memory" to the slab. Say you left an NGC slab in one of the slots for an extended period of time, the foam will compress and conform to the shape of the NGC slab, creating a "memory" in the foam. The problem with this is if you remove the NGC slab and insert a PCGS slab, the PCGS being smaller (thinner) will be extremely loose in the slot where the NGC slab was and could dislodge.

17 hours ago, Paul Hills said:

Not sure what you mean by "proven", but I've had some of my slabs for around 30 years just sitting in normal NGC boxes, with no additional protection (other than a normal environment, not an attic or basement) and they all look just fine.

well i finally figured out what im going to do for long term storage,  i got the intercept shield double boxes, that individually hold the slab (X10 slabs) then go into another intercept shield box,  i kept them in the guardhouse shield protector bags so it seems they should be pretty much "SHIELDED"   my only other question was is the loose space that is left in the box meant to keep the little moisture evaporator that comes in the original packing inside the box with the coins?  i would hate to add contaminants after going thru the trouble of trying to protect the coins.  please advise.  Alex, was this what you were talking about??  thanks.