• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Research Poll for US, World, Ancient posters
1 1

45 posts in this topic

At this time, there are several more active numismatic chat forums.  I am on a mission to revive the NGC forum rather than start a new one.  The way each different website is set up and works has pluses and minuses.  Building one of these sites is expensive but there should be no reason for a major TPGS not to want to have the best program that includes ALL THE PLUSES from the other chat rooms.  For example, combining three classes of coins into one forum HERE was done for a reason that anyone with a brain can figure out.  However, doing this is a minus IMO.   

So this is a research poll.  The mods know the numbers already but let's find out what they are. 

If you post on this forum, please reply YES and anything you wish to add.  I will be shocked if there are more than twenty replies to this poll SO SHOCK ME!  

Edited by Insider

RE: "If you post on this forum, please reply YES..."

Uhmmmm -- if one does not post on this forum, how would they know they were being asked to post where they do not post; and -- if they don't post here but learned about the OPs question and then posted "No" would they now have to change their answer to "Yes" since they did, in fact, post something -- ?

/signed/

Flummoxed in Philly

Are you just trying to figure out how many active posters there are? 

I'd say your guess in another recent thread of 20-30 is probably generous but accurate. 

I do think there are more people who read threads but don't post - and then are discouraged from posting by reading the threads. 

48 minutes ago, RWB said:

RE: "If you post on this forum, please reply YES..."

Uhmmmm -- if one does not post on this forum, how would they know they were being asked to post where they do not post; and -- if they don't post here but learned about the OPs question and then posted "No" would they now have to change their answer to "Yes" since they did, in fact, post something -- ?

/signed/

Flummoxed in Philly

That's one poster.  But there are more views than posters.  I guess some folks are afraid of something.  So sad.

21 minutes ago, Insider said:

That's one poster.  But there are more views than posters.  I guess some folks are afraid of something.  So sad.

The views counted are not unique views. Each time I open the post to read a new reply, that counts as a new view. So, this thread has 15 views currently - but it's entirely plausible that the 3 of us who have posted account for all of those views. 

A better figure would be "unique views" of a thread, which is probably a statistic the forum administrators have but we don't. 

11 minutes ago, physics-fan3.14 said:

Are you just trying to figure out how many active posters there are? 

I'd say your guess in another recent thread of 20-30 is probably generous but accurate. 

I do think there are more people who read threads but don't post - and then are discouraged from posting by reading the threads. 

The ONLY folks that count are those that post on a forum.  Plenty of folks just lurk and never/very rarely post. 

SO:  

NGC has a forum with 20+ active posters and one million viewers/rarely posters.  That's OK as the posters are using the site and the others are also and learning different opinions.   While all this is well and good for numismatic education, it makes for a virtually DEAD site that for years after joining I only looked at once or twice a month at most because the site was DEAD!   This forum is a joke over at the ATS and I am guilty of expressing that CORRECT opinion over there (before banning) that this place is DEAD.  No fun, no action.  

I think it is being stirred up a little but 5 very active posters cannot revive a website no matter who they are.  Well, that's not correct.  I could pick 7-8 numismatists (who do not have the time or wish to post) who could dominate all the chat rooms with their serious posts and opinions.  Imagine reading an in-depth discussion of MF, MS, DH, JA, JD, LS, and...in a GTG post.  

Anyway, the number of active posters is very low here.  It could be the content.  I posted a quiz here and on another forum.  It fell flat on its face here, so much so that I'll try one more here and then quit because it is not worth my time.  On another forum it is going strong and the members are very close to the answer.  The posters over there are answering questions not posting unrelated bla, bla, bla!

Another thing.  NGC authenticates ancients.  This place should become the go to site for ANY discussion of ancient coins but it is not.  It is completely DEAD.  

Rant over.  Let's get this place off the ventilator!

Ancients are a very complicated and difficult subject. There is *so* much to know - and people tend towards a specialty. Thus, you need a fairly large collector base of knowledgeable posters to make an ancients forum vibrant. CoinTalk has that, and has a very vibrant ancient forum (honestly, the ancients forum is the highest consistent quality on that forum). I don't know what they did to attract that collector base. 

Here, there are a couple of people who dabble in ancients, but not nearly enough to make a vibrant discussion group. 

For me, the biggest draw of this forum is RWB. He pretty much only posts here, and his wealth of knowledge makes this forum worth it even if there are only a couple of posters. However, Roger can't carry the entire weight of the forum on his shoulders alone. 

5 minutes ago, physics-fan3.14 said:

The views counted are not unique views. Each time I open the post to read a new reply, that counts as a new view. So, this thread has 15 views currently - but it's entirely plausible that the 3 of us who have posted account for all of those views. 

A better figure would be "unique views" of a thread, which is probably a statistic the forum administrators have but we don't. 

That is easy - I consider a post by anyone to be a unique view to be counted.  So far, there are 3 posters who have replied to this poll.   Anyone else viewing this thread is TOTALLY unimportant  because if an active member did not post or start a discussion here THERE WOULD BE NOTHING HERE TO VIEW!  Viewers, do not make a site active, they are numismatic parasites!  Heck, a YN in a class who knows virtually nothing has the IQ to ask a question!  Think of how active and educational this place would be if just a few viewers asked a question.  The other forums have new discussions started every few minutes!    

1 hour ago, Insider said:

If you post on this forum, please reply YES and anything you wish to add. 

Yes, count me in.  [Let's face it, without someone around to mock, belittle, criticize, put-down, kick-around, humiliate, etc., this Forum will falter, stall and worse.  I have no problem with abuse because I am mature enough to take things in stride and not so personally.  I love everybody. And I love this Forum. So Yes, count me in, and thanks for the invite!]

Roger is an important poster anywhere.  He needs to join CT ASAP just in case this place cannot be fixed in a year.   There are only three posters here I would miss (who don't post over there already) when I get banned, bored, or give up here.   

2 minutes ago, Quintus Arrius said:

Yes, count me in.  [Let's face it, without someone around to mock, belittle, criticize, put-down, kick-around, humiliate, etc., this Forum will falter, stall and worse.  I have no problem with abuse because I am mature enough to take things in stride and not so personally.  I love everybody. And I love this Forum. So Yes, count me in, and thanks for the invite!]

Just an unsolicited brother to brother comment from me to you:

True or not, IMO, you often come off as a troll looking for attention by cluttering up a discussion with "fluff" that just takes up space and adds nothing.  You are not the only one.  There is NO REASON for anyone to mock, belittle, criticize, put-down, kick-around, humiliate, etc. anyone on a coin forum UNLESS the poster is trying to elicit that reaction and enjoys the attention he gets.  It is too bad a full time moderator is not in place to delete much of the "fluff" (such as this post) coming from all of us.     

[I don't want to clog up your poll with comments but, for lack of a better analogy, if everyone was as welcoming as Just Bob and emulated his fine example of a courteous and respectful bedside manner, there would be no numismatic parasites. I believe members have to be more mindful of this, particularly when addressing the new collector.]

Yes, I'm here. I'll be lurking somewhere, ready to ask or comment, mostly just reading posts and learning numismatic stuff. No one really gives a spoon what a beginner has to say, it doesn't take long to figure that out. I'm good with that. Do your thing, I'm watching.

YES

Prepare to be disappointed if you're expecting 20 individuals to reply in a timely manner.

Don't post much as I don't usually have anything constructive to add to the conversation but I do enjoy the heavyweights going back and forth on relevant topics. Time and a continued variety of good topics/discussions is the only thing that will bring people in and keep them here.

Be glad you're not on the PMG boards.

I've been waiting for specific examples of things to respond "YES" to. Am I doing it wrong? YES, this place needs specialties, lots of them, and it needs a more straight-forward access point from the Home screen, not two levels deep.

Oh, and it needs to be as little like CoinTalk as it can possibly get. And I must advise @physics-fan3.14 that @Insider is on written record here indirectly berating the way CoinTalk conducts its "moderation", which is actually a liguistic bastardization of the term. There is not even anything remotely "moderate" about it. Their "moderation" (as if..) is inconsistently applied, personally vindictive, highly ideological, and truly moronic.

Herewith, the previous quote from @Insider:

"Volunteer Moderators defined: Weak-bellied, snowflake, do-good control freaks who have nothing better to do than "report" things that may offend 1% of the other members.  I call them Mrs. Gruno's.  She was the nosy, no life, old witch on our block reporting anything to our parents."

I would like to positively associate  myself with the above remarks, @physics-fan3.14.

Edited by VKurtB

Roger is an important poster anywhere.  He needs to join CT ASAP just in case this place cannot be fixed in a year.   There are only three posters here I would miss (who don't post over there already) when I get banned, bored, or give up here.   

I've been a member for several years. I have never devoted much time to posting on any message board. The time is better spent in discovery than "chatting." I enjoy helping other collectors. I also am fortunate to have a lot of non-commercial experience and a large database of historical material that I'm willing to share with collectors and hobby business people. But, .... when the same people insist on not opening a modern book, or when authenticators and hobby authors repeatedly ignore facts, or invent attributions without doing complete research, I quickly loose interest. (And probably sound grumpy, too.)

NGC, PCGS and others maintain and promote message sites in a manner they feel is appropriate to them.

1 hour ago, VKurtB said:

I've been waiting for specific examples of things to respond "YES" to. Am I doing it wrong? YES, this place needs specialties, lots of them, and it needs a more straight-forward access point from the Home screen, not two levels deep.

Oh, and it needs to be as little like CoinTalk as it can possibly get. And I must advise @physics-fan3.14 that @Insider is on written record here indirectly berating the way CoinTalk conducts its "moderation", which is actually a liguistic bastardization of the term. There is not even anything remotely "moderate" about it. Their "moderation" (as if..) is inconsistently applied, personally vindictive, highly ideological, and truly moronic.

Herewith, the previous quote from @Insider:

"Volunteer Moderators defined: Weak-bellied, snowflake, do-good control freaks who have nothing better to do than "report" things that may offend 1% of the other members.  I call them Mrs. Gruno's.  She was the nosy, no life, old witch on our block reporting anything to our parents."

I would like to positively associate  myself with the above remarks, @physics-fan3.14.

Moderation on CT can be characterized as random and sometimes petty, dominated by an over-bearing voice who stopped collecting decades ago and doesn't know what he's talking about half the time. 

Moderation here can be characterized as completely hands-off, unwilling to intervene even if their boards burn to the ground. 

However, I can honestly say I didn't like you on either forum. 

Edited by physics-fan3.14

uhmm yes?

I came here actually looking for Roger, but I haven't seen that blasted rabbit anywhere.  I started at CCF but soon found that forum tiresome. Then I looked into ATS. After a while, actually a rather short time, it became obvious that if you were not a PCGS and CAC lover you were in for a tough ride, but that was almost expected. At least here threads do not get closed or disappear every time I turn around and half the posters get banned or 'time out' at a drop of a hat.

Edited by Moxie15
typoing and spelling

1 hour ago, physics-fan3.14 said:

THAT DOES IT!!!

Insider, you are my bosom buddy for life!  You honored me by speaking to me from the heart on a public forum and I am going to respond in kind.

Henceforth, I shall dispense with the shenanigans and not because I lack the necessary qualifications for trolling.  I will make a concerted effort to be the kind of member you can feel proud to be associated with.  Hey, I might even consider going back to graduate school and getting my master's degree!  But I get ahead of myself. I can change! I will change!  For you, for the rest of the heavyweights, and for the good of this Forum and those who frequent it.  And because actions speak louder than words, you heard it here first from me, Quintus Arrius:  "Battle speed, hortator!"

2 hours ago, physics-fan3.14 said:

That's okay, I can assure you that the sentiment is entirely mutual. Obviously, the vast majority of posters had the opposite opinion, as I had well over 10,000 "likes" on CoinTalk when I was banned for life.

Edited by VKurtB

4 hours ago, Insider said:

But there are more views than posters.  I guess some folks are afraid of something.  So sad.

Some of us just aren't here all the time.  I try to come by daily but sometimes it's two or three days between visits. (I have three boards I'm active on and I admit it CoinCommunity and Coin Talk are more active and take up the lions share of my time.) I am an active poster, but I'm not a "Me too" type of poster.  If I get here, see a question has been asked and satisfactorily answered I don't bother replying.  For all practical purposes I don't start threads, I just answer them.

Anyway, YES, I'm not exactly sure what I am saying yes to, but there it is.

Now, regarding the OPs "Ancient posters."

This could refer to people who are very, very old, or it might refer to those who collect large advertising, propaganda, and theatrical posters

3g12054v.jpg

Edited by RWB

What's the other guy's name?

Also, Isiah was not 2-feet 4-inches tall ! I have a photo to prove it.

:)

Edited by RWB

7 hours ago, Insider said:

At this time, there are several more active numismatic chat forums.  I am on a mission to revive the NGC forum rather than start a new one.  The way each different website is set up and works has pluses and minuses.  Building one of these sites is expensive but there should be no reason for a major TPGS not to want to have the best program that includes ALL THE PLUSES from the other chat rooms.  For example, combining three classes of coins into one forum HERE was done for a reason that anyone with a brain can figure out.  However, doing this is a minus IMO.   

So this is a research poll.  The mods know the numbers already but let's find out what they are. 

If you post on this forum, please reply YES and anything you wish to add.  I will be shocked if there are more than twenty replies to this poll SO SHOCK ME!  

Yes

4 hours ago, RWB said:

What's the other guy's name?

Also, Isiah was not 2-feet 4-inches tall ! I have a photo to prove it.

:)

Yo, Isiah!
What you say ah?

I say ah Isiah. 

I don’t know.

Third base!

7 hours ago, physics-fan3.14 said:

dominated by an over-bearing voice who stopped collecting decades ago and doesn't know what he's talking about half the time. 

You’ve never typed truer words, sir.

And his trusty wonder doofus @Desertgem too.

Edited by VKurtB