• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Less Than One Year Away - A “Classic” Returns
1 1

17 posts in this topic

After we get the last ATB quarter next year, the Tuskegee Airmen Memorial (as I will be an Alabaman then, I figure I’ll go to the release ceremony), a “classic” design will be returning - the OBVERSE of the Washington quarter as seen from 1932-1998. The reverse will be the new “Washington Crossing the Delaware” reverse, but all the obverse legends will be as they were from 1932-1998. I hope there’s a spring release ceremony at Washington Crossing State Park and whatever is on the New Jersey side. I know there is one of the finest wine shops anywhere nearby.

Edited by VKurtB

Maybe they'll go all the way back to the original model and improve the definition.

As to the reverse - a coin should never have to tell us what it is supposed to show. Also, is the eagle no longer required?

(Technically, it's a 2-headed coin. The men in the boat will not coin well - that area is opposite the high points of the obverse portrait - they will be a jumble of blobs when reduced to 1-inch.)

The same law, the one that authorized the ATB quarters, repealed the eagle mandate, but IN MY HUMBLE OPINION, should not have. They could have worked an eagle in the background somewhere. I agree with Roger here. I’d like to see a higher relief Washington, but with some nice detail. It may be asking too much of the dies, however. The prior “spaghetti hair” Washington was just yuck.

Edited by VKurtB

Maybe an eagle grabbing one of the tiny men and taking him off to feed the eagle's chicks.....Or they could switch to a Pteranodon.

why oh why does the congress not change the obverse? There is more than enough evidence that whatever is put on the coin will be accepted by the public. I realise that whatever is done will be a computer generated low relief second rate design but at least it will be something different. 

What a poor design, in my opinion and only my opinion.  I agree with Roger; there should be no reason to have to tell us what the events is.  And my vote would be:

551+Leutze.jpg

On 8/25/2020 at 8:25 PM, VKurtB said:

After we get the last ATB quarter next year, the Tuskegee Airmen Memorial (as I will be an Alabaman then, I figure I’ll go to the release ceremony), a “classic” design will be returning - the OBVERSE of the Washington quarter as seen from 1932-1998. The reverse will be the new “Washington Crossing the Delaware” reverse, but all the obverse legends will be as they were from 1932-1998. I hope there’s a spring release ceremony at Washington Crossing State Park and whatever is on the New Jersey side. I know there is one of the finest wine shops anywhere nearby.

Hi VKurtB, if you are ever out here in Temecula, CA, I will buy you a bottle of your favorite wine! Temecula has a wine country and the Wilson Winery Almond Champagne is so good!

What county is Temecula? I've been through Napa and Sonoma and I have friends in Petaluma. I'll bring some better Pennsylvania "hooch" (we're better known for distilled spirits) when I get there.

Oh, I see Temecula is WELL south. I need to either get to a Long Beach coin show or a Long Beach Grand Prix after I retire. And I have in-laws in Anaheim.

Edited by VKurtB

5 hours ago, VKurtB said:

What county is Temecula? I've been through Napa and Sonoma and I have friends in Petaluma. I'll bring some better Pennsylvania "hooch" (we're better known for distilled spirits) when I get there.

Oh, I see Temecula is WELL south. I need to either get to a Long Beach coin show or a Long Beach Grand Prix after I retire. And I have in-laws in Anaheim.

Temecula is inland between Los Angeles and San Diego. Riverside County. 11 miles south is San Diego County. Maybe 45 minutes from Anaheim without traffic.

23 hours ago, Alex in PA. said:

And my vote would be:

They already did that on the NJ state quarter.

I think they have to say what it is because it isn't clear.  You'll notice Washington isn't in a boat, he's just directing traffic.  "Go that way!"

39 minutes ago, Conder101 said:

They already did that on the NJ state quarter.

I think they have to say what it is because it isn't clear.  You'll notice Washington isn't in a boat, he's just directing traffic.  "Go that way!"

Huh, and here I thought he had just gotten finished carving the final ‘A’ in AMERICA. :insane:

23 hours ago, VKurtB said:

I hope it isn't that 'weather related' stuff they brew in the back woods of Punxsutawney.  What do they call that stuff?  'White Lightning' I do believe.  A glass or two and you'll be talking to Phil.

:roflmao:

On 8/28/2020 at 9:37 AM, Alex in PA. said:

I hope it isn't that 'weather related' stuff they brew in the back woods of Punxsutawney.  What do they call that stuff?  'White Lightning' I do believe.  A glass or two and you'll be talking to Phil.

:roflmao:

Thass “Grounhog Pee” them fellers up there in the backwoods cook up. If you ever want to get sick reading something, look up “Boilo”, which is a Meade-like concoction they cook up in the anthracite coal regions. 

I’m bringing real legal PA whiskey. Many micro-distillers have sprung up since our liquor laws liberalized in 2017.

Edited by VKurtB

3 hours ago, VKurtB said:

Thass “Grounhog Pee” them fellers up there in the backwoods cook up. If you ever want to get sick reading something, look up “Boilo”, which is a Meade-like concoction they cook up in the anthracite coal regions. 

I’m bringing real legal PA whiskey. Many micro-distillers have sprung up since our liquor laws liberalized. 

Just did a search and I had no idea there were so many.  It's good to see a thriving industry spring up in PA.  Hope it turns out great for you.