• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The 1900 O/CC Dollar

12 posts in this topic

Been a while here.
I saw 6 of these coins at the coin shop today. All were graded  MS 63 ( from ATS) . So I looked them over and selected one. All had weak breast feathers. I couldn’t see much evidence of the cc mintmark underneath, although I strained to find something of it. I read a bit about the coin before I went into the store and thought they were a nice oddity to own . I assume the dies were from Carson City so I was disappointed the Eagle’s strike was somewhat weak on all of them. This coin doesn’t appear to be popular but I thought its bizarre history merited a look , and now I own one. 
I’m interested in anyone’s thoughts, and / or if you have seen or owned one, 

Edited by Dave1384

I don't agree with one of your comments about it not being very popular.  On the contrary, the 1900-O/CC is highly prized!  If memory serves, there are 6 VAMs (and a couple of die-states) with varying degrees of preference.  My personal favorite is VAM-12, because it has the clearest and most visible remnant of "CC" (at least in my opinion) of all the VAMs.

I have considered putting together a set of all the VAMs for 1900-O/CC, because it would be doable with prices only at a hundred or so for circulated, up to a grand for a high-grade example.

I agree with James. Further, the popularity comes from the oddity of O/CC, and the mystery about how and when the original CC dies were repurposed. To date, almost nothing has been found in archive letters about the variety.

9054EC04-D7B2-41C1-BBDA-D417D60CEFEC.thumb.jpeg.389262a60018c136ebc1b9799d098995.jpeg5FF078D4-0053-413A-93ED-59F2CF93CD80.thumb.jpeg.e30ec39850503a8f69727acf4a038f29.jpegI’m figuring too, the coin was minted in New Orleans. Without that “CC” on the label , it’s worth 50.00. I can’t see the CC. Locations are important, not the equipment used. Perhaps I’m wrong. 
I dunno. I’m into it for 6 even . 
Truth re multiple vams, there was one there a little more obvious than the other 5 .  I suppose if Roger likes it, I should keep it, lol. 

Edited by Dave1384

almost all o mint Morgans have weak breast feathers...

edited to add ,The first C on the left of the O looks pretty strong in the pic.

Edited by MAULEMALL

Dave, if you are referring to me, I can't tell anything from the photo. If PCGS says it's O/CC it probably is. Morgan dollar variety people would probably appreciate a sharp closeup of the mintmark.

6 hours ago, James_OldeTowne said:

I was able to blow up the photo and it looks to me like the first "C" is nicely visible.

OK. With the photo you should be able to got to the 1900-O listing and find the variety assigned to your coin. (www.vamworld.com)

Yeah with these pictures it looks like a VAM-11

Better pictures would help but it looks like:

Near date - O/CC high shifted left