• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Limited-Edition 2020 Silver Eagles Offered by American Numismatic Association

25 posts in this topic

If I could get the past Prez I want, I might have given it a go, or maybe one of three I want, but at random? No way.

I want the one with all the dead guys on it -- seems more relevant.

Do these have the coveted "CS" mintmark for "Colorado Springs?"

My favorite three would be, in no particular order, John Wilson, Tom Hallenbeck, and Walt Ostromecki, all of them dear friends. Cliff Mishler is a fourth.

Edited by VKurtB

Sorry but this is really grasping at straws to generate grading fees.  Are submissions really down that much?

Most collectors have never heard of these people, except maybe for Mishler since he is (or was) affiliated with Krause.  Maybe a very low number of registry set collectors have an interest in this but don't see anyone else.

9 minutes ago, World Colonial said:

Sorry but this is really grasping at straws to generate grading fees.  Are submissions really down that much?

Most collectors have never heard of these people, except maybe for Mishler since he is (or was) affiliated with Krause.  Maybe a very low number of registry set collectors have an interest in this but don't see anyone else.

They aren't even graded, beyond the generic "Brilliant Uncirculated", if the illustration is any indication.

Edited by VKurtB

11 minutes ago, World Colonial said:

Most collectors have never heard of these people

Really? I have spoken to 15 of the 16, and I'm on a first name basis with 8 of them.

8 minutes ago, VKurtB said:

Really? I have spoken to 15 of the 16, and I'm on a first name basis with 8 of them.

I recognize some of the names but not most.  But then, I'm not an ANA member (was for a few years) and most other collectors aren't either.  If the membership is about 25,000, this group plus those who read coin periodicals and post on coin forums might know of many/most of these people but I doubt it's more than a low proportion.

If this offer is limited to ASE (didn't read the full announcement still), I'd guess even an even lower proportion know them.

Off topic but to me it's not much different than who is aware of US Mint Directors and Chief Engravers.  I remember some from my Redbook as a YN but have no clue who these people are since.  Some of it is the result of not buying any US coins for almost 20 years but not all.

Edited by World Colonial

4 minutes ago, World Colonial said:

I recognize some of the names but not most.  But then, I'm not an ANA member (was for a few years) and most other collectors aren't either.  If the membership is about 25,000, this group plus those who read coin periodicals and post on coin forums might know of many/most of these people but I doubt it's more than a low proportion.

If this offer is limited to ASE (didn't read the full announcement still), I'd guess even an even lower proportion know them.

Off topic but to me it's not much different than who is aware of US Mint Directors and Chief Engravers.  I remember some from my Redbook as a YN but have no clue who these people are since.  Some of it is the result of not buying any US coins for almost 20 years but not all.

Frankly I've never understood the idea of NOT being an ANA member. Just getting The Numismatist is worth the cost. Exceptionally well written and edited. And having a free NGC membership too? Wow, too good to pass up.

Edited by VKurtB

25 minutes ago, World Colonial said:

I won't be adding any of these to my collection, but it appears to be a fund raising effort for the ANA, which I assume people consider a good cause. The press release sounds like the SAE were donated by APMEX and NGC likely put them in holders for free due to their "official grading service"  relationship with the ANA. In the end, the ANA gets money and members.

1 minute ago, VKurtB said:

Frankly I've never understood the idea of NOT being an ANA member. Just getting The Numismatist is worth the cost. Exceptionally well written and edited.

I didn't automatically renew and wasn't sufficiently motivated.  The Numismatist is a decent publication but I have narrow interests.  I'd probably be more interested in joining the ANS but just never have.

I'd also guess you have a much more extensive numismatic library than I do.  I try to find reference material (books and auction catalogs) on the coins I actively collect, even where it's hard to do so.  There are also a few other books I'd like own for coins I really like, even if I will never own it.  An example is the Bowers on the 1822 half eagle and especially the one on the Getz patterns.

But I'm not going to do what many other long time collectors seem to do where they spend noticeable amounts on a library.  I'm a collector first and primarily motivated to buy the coins in my one current primary series.  I almost never buy anything else.

1 minute ago, gmarguli said:

I won't be adding any of these to my collection, but it appears to be a fund raising effort for the ANA, which I assume people consider a good cause. The press release sounds like the SAE were donated by APMEX and NGC likely put them in holders for free due to their "official grading service"  relationship with the ANA. In the end, the ANA gets money and members.

OK, makes sense.

37 minutes ago, World Colonial said:

I didn't automatically renew and wasn't sufficiently motivated.  The Numismatist is a decent publication but I have narrow interests.  I'd probably be more interested in joining the ANS but just never have.

I'd also guess you have a much more extensive numismatic library than I do.  I try to find reference material (books and auction catalogs) on the coins I actively collect, even where it's hard to do so.  There are also a few other books I'd like own for coins I really like, even if I will never own it.  An example is the Bowers on the 1822 half eagle and especially the one on the Getz patterns.

But I'm not going to do what many other long time collectors seem to do where they spend noticeable amounts on a library.  I'm a collector first and primarily motivated to buy the coins in my one current primary series.  I almost never buy anything else.

My move a year ago was the occasion for lightening up my library. A lot of auction catalogs missed the cut. My move coming up may see more go away.

I'm surprised.  I looked a the list and I know 15 of the 16.  Still not buying though, although the three year renewal might be a possibility.

Edited by Conder101

5 hours ago, Cascadia said:

I got a Jeff C. Garrett !!

I don't see why all of the negative responses. Based upon the poll. I just ran - two thirds of us are ANA members. So if you intend to stay an ANA member, why not renew for three years and pick one of these for free? It helps out the ANA and you receive a small bonus for doing a good thing.

i wonder if the signatures have an equal population or if a couple sign more than the others. 

I picked up a Bressett 

1 hour ago, Cascadia said:

Yeah Zebo, this is my first membership with ANA.  I see it as an opportunity to get an autograph and an oz of silver, plus ANA benefits.  

Enjoy your membership and its privileges.

7 hours ago, Conder101 said:

The high number of ANA members in your poll surprised me.  I suspect many of them are members for the NGC submission privilege.

Possibly - maybe I should of added that question. Even so, why wouldn't you extend your membership to help out the ANA and pick up an ounce of silver for your effort?

I do enjoy their magazine and their eseminars. 

11 hours ago, Conder101 said:

The high number of ANA members in your poll surprised me.  I suspect many of them are members for the NGC submission privilege.

And I suspect many are because they haven't been fed enormous amounts of anti-ANA bile, like from @GDJMSP over at CoinTalk.