• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Guess the Grade just for fun!
1 1

109 posts in this topic

Because at my grading class I saw some really hacked up gold with decent grades on them, I'll go MS62.

I'll give it a try.   I see no friction wear on the coin.  It is NOT AU.  It is MS.   On coins like this, there is no price spread between 60 & 62 so everything a TPGS does for a particular coin is a guess.  Example: A finalizer once told me that $2 1/2 Indians start at MS-62!   

This coin is the "poster child" for the MS-60 grade but that grade is seldom used anymore so it is probably graded NGC MS-61.  Without all the MAJOR hits - NGC MS-62.  However, I hope the 4 tiny areas of discoloration (etched surface?) at the obverse rim knock it back where it belongs, my personal MS-60.

MS61 (opinion which I formed before looking at other guesses).

However, the coin looks flashy and the TPG are awfully forgiving with gold, so they may have rewarded that with a MS62.

Well, as I always like to point out, cameras seem to magnify gold flaws by about 30x while blurring out anything nice, which when added to my poor phone photography skills likely makes this one look far worse than it actually looks in hand.  That said, the first quess was the right one, as this one graded MS-62 which was likely due to the prooflike cameo that wasn't quite enough for the PL designation.

My initial guess was MS-61, but for prooflike coins, it isn't uncommon to see them graded (seemingly) a point higher than one might expect.  I've always surmised that the reflectivity tends to unfairly emphasize the appearance of disturbances.

Uncirculated (60), damaged.

Sorry, but no sane person is going to pay the value of s MS-62 for that coin; and I specifically reject the "grade" as false. At least it's genuine.

Edited by RWB

I don't think it's that bad @RWB, if you look at the definition of MS62 on the Sheldon scale. And at least it's consistent. I sort of cheated with my (winning!) guess. It was based on this one on Heritage, also MS62*. I had to take a close look because at first glance it seemed to be the same coin, but isn't.

1893_$5_MS62.jpg

4 hours ago, RWB said:

Uncirculated (60), damaged.

Sorry, but no sane person is going to pay the value of s MS-62 for that coin; and I specifically reject the "grade" as false. At least it's genuine.

As I wrote above, there is not much difference in price between a 60, 61, or 62 bullion coin.

41 minutes ago, MAULEMALL said:

Am I the only one that thought it might have been thumbed?

Probably and someone thought it was AU.

1 hour ago, kbbpll said:

I don't think it's that bad @RWB, if you look at the definition of MS62 on the Sheldon scale. And at least it's consistent. I sort of cheated with my (winning!) guess. It was based on this one on Heritage, also MS62*. I had to take a close look because at first glance it seemed to be the same coin, but isn't.

1893_$5_MS62.jpg

This coin is much nicer than the OP's.  This MS-62 is close to a 63.  The OP's 62 is closer to a 60 for two of us posting.  

49 minutes ago, Insider said:

This coin is much nicer than the OP's.  This MS-62 is close to a 63.  The OP's 62 is closer to a 60 for two of us posting.  

This is where I love a learning experience. How much difference is there, really? Granted, all we have are images on here, and there's hardly any difference in value. You put these almost 3 grade points apart. I tally up the various marks and severity, and it's almost a tossup.

1893_$5_MS62_compare.jpg

Images can be very deceiving due to lighting.  Turning and tipping a coin in different light sources can make bad characteristics disappear while accentuating good qualities.  Eye appeal is everything.  Grading is SUBJECTIVE:

1. I notice you did not post the reverse of the coins.  The reverse is MUCH LESS important YET the OP's coin is the loser here.

2. The lighting on the OP's coin is very intense making marks show better.  The luster on the other coin is more even and attractive - to me.

3. While the marks on both coins APPEAR to be similar, they are not.  You cannot leave out LOCATION and SEVERITY.  The OP's coin is the loser here also. 

4. I want to know what the "etched" areas on the OP's coin look like under magnification.   

Finally, if I were a dealer, (based on my comments and the images), I should sell the OP's coin as a COMMERCIAL MS-62 (as graded) and sell the other at MS-63 raw.    

9 hours ago, Insider said:

As I wrote above, there is not much difference in price between a 60, 61, or 62 bullion coin.

Probably and someone thought it was AU.

AU 60 Is my grade for thumbed sliders.. Wouldn't pay MS money... Just a personal thing...