NGC Certifies Two Brasher Doubloons and Other Extreme Rarities from the Partrick Collection
2 2

19 posts in this topic

509 posts

Hundreds of NGC-graded coins from the unparalleled collection will be sold by Heritage Auctions over the next year.  Read more

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,961 posts

First time I think I have agreed with one of the moderator posts.

My personal favorite in this collection is the 1792 Getz silver half.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
591 posts
On 8/14/2020 at 8:43 PM, World Colonial said:

First time I think I have agreed with one of the moderator posts.

My personal favorite in this collection is the 1792 Getz silver half.

 

 

A shame these will very likely be relegated to a safe deposit box somewhere, out of sight out of mind.  These unique, rarely seen specimens ought to put on public display for the enjoyment of numismatists and interested parties alike.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,961 posts
1 hour ago, Quintus Arrius said:

A shame these will very likely be relegated to a safe deposit box somewhere, out of sight out of mind.  These unique, rarely seen specimens ought to put on public display for the enjoyment of numismatists and interested parties alike.

Well, then you and those who agree with you can underwrite the purchase for the public's benefit.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
591 posts
58 minutes ago, World Colonial said:

Well, then you and those who agree with you can underwrite the purchase for the public's benefit.  

"It is the pre-occupation with possession, more than anything else, that prevents men from living freely and nobly."  - Lord Bertrand Russell

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6,630 posts
5 minutes ago, Quintus Arrius said:

"It is the pre-occupation with possession, more than anything else, that prevents men from living freely and nobly."  - Lord Bertrand Russell

And yet there's 12 pages of you and richi ....

download.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
591 posts

No need to underwrite the purchase.  As I recall, King Tut's treasures were on loan for Exhibit in the United States.  Ditto the Mona Lisa.  The most comprehensive Holocaust exhibition about Auschwitz ever exhibited in North America now at the Museum of Jewish Heritage in New York, comprised of some 700 original objects and 400 photographs, are on loan from 20 institutions and private collections from around the world. These are all one-of-a-kind, truly irreplaceable artifacts.

I don't deign to know what the successful bidders for the Brasher Doubloons plan to do with their acquisitions following auction but they may very well consider making them available to the numismatic community at large on a limited basis and to the general public on special occasions via on-loan exhibition.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
591 posts
1 hour ago, MAULEMALL said:

And yet there's 12 pages of you and richi ....

download.jpg

Cross-thread contamination.  It's not about winning or losing. It's how you play the game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,961 posts
1 hour ago, Quintus Arrius said:

"It is the pre-occupation with possession, more than anything else, that prevents men from living freely and nobly."  - Lord Bertrand Russell

The whole point of being a collector to most coin collectors is possession.   There are a few numismatists who only study and don't put together a collection but it's an irrelevant number.: 

There are a lot of other coins collectors own which could be displayed for public benefit.  Few are as prominent as a low number from this collection but that really has nothing to do with it.

As an example, US collectors overwhelmingly own most of the better Latin coinage which therefore isn't available to locals there, collectors or not.  I own many of the best known coins in my series from Bolivia and Peru (a disproportionate percentage of the latter) where the coins are difficult to find at all.  Going by one post elsewhere, the Peru national collection is substantially circulated "dreck" and isn't even close to being complete, even assuming they are trying to have a full collection.

Why is it better that an institution like this one own the coins instead of collectors such as myself?  Same principle in the developed world.  And if you claim it doesn't apply to coins like those many other collectors own, why not?

I agree with you with coinage which is otherwise more available but not otherwise. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,961 posts
39 minutes ago, Quintus Arrius said:

No need to underwrite the purchase.  As I recall, King Tut's treasures were on loan for Exhibit in the United States.  Ditto the Mona Lisa.  The most comprehensive Holocaust exhibition about Auschwitz ever exhibited in North America now at the Museum of Jewish Heritage in New York, comprised of some 700 original objects and 400 photographs, are on loan from 20 institutions and private collections from around the world. These are all one-of-a-kind, truly irreplaceable artifacts.

I don't deign to know what the successful bidders for the Brasher Doubloons plan to do with their acquisitions following auction but they may very well consider making them available to the numismatic community at large on a limited basis and to the general public on special occasions via on-loan exhibition.

Many collectors of the better (US) or more expensive coinage probably agree with your sentiments, at least to a point.

The majority of the collector population? 

It isn't really relevant to them.  Contrary to what the financial promoters of the "hobby" try to claim and those who exaggerate the significance of the coins they like the most might imply, most collectors don't find the most expensive, most prominent, or rarest coins the most or even that interesting.

They are usually most interested in what they have collected in the past, what they collect now and what they believe they can possibly afford to collect in the future.

They may have a passing interest and may wish they could afford some of it but these coins aren't really on their "radar".

If you don't believe me, go read topics on any forum.  Only an irrelevant fraction discuss this coinage and depending upon the coin, usually don't have that many posts either.

Earlier above, I mentioned the 1792 Getz pattern which is one of my favorite coins.  I would like to see it though I'd never go out of my way to do so.  Most US collectors may vaguely know it exists from the Red Book but otherwise have no interest or remember it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
591 posts
10 minutes ago, World Colonial said:

 

Earlier above, I mentioned the 1792 Getz pattern which is one of my favorite coins.  I would like to see it though I'd never go out of my way to do so.  Most US collectors may vaguely know it exists from the Red Book but otherwise have no interest or remember it.

You have aristocratic tastes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
374 posts

I'm impressed.  You don't see coins like that at the corner dealer's shop.  Thanks for posting Matt.

Edited by Alex in PA.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,961 posts
1 hour ago, Quintus Arrius said:

You have aristocratic tastes.

Yes, that is true to a point.

I am most interested in coins which others are not.  The coins most collectors overwhelmingly collect are mostly boring to me.  But most of the coins I like the most aren't like this one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,970 posts

Sadly many if not most of these will be bought just so the coin can be transferred to a different plastic and sold at a higher price with little if any regard to the metal disk inside the plastic, the only important thing to these buyers are the initials on the plastic.  Its an amazing collection, I have gone through the thumbnails twice and each time am blown away but this collection.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14,945 posts
On 9/5/2020 at 2:03 PM, Coinbuf said:

Sadly many if not most of these will be bought just so the coin can be transferred to a different plastic and sold at a higher price with little if any regard to the metal disk inside the plastic, the only important thing to these buyers are the initials on the plastic.  Its an amazing collection, I have gone through the thumbnails twice and each time am blown away but this collection.

Heritage just announced that many of the Partrick coins were crossed and regraded at PCGS - before the sale. They said to disregard the paper catalogue and only use the online catalogue, which has the updated grades. 

I'm curious how many were crossed, why, and how the grades changed. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,970 posts
7 hours ago, physics-fan3.14 said:

Heritage just announced that many of the Partrick coins were crossed and regraded at PCGS - before the sale. They said to disregard the paper catalogue and only use the online catalogue, which has the updated grades. 

I'm curious how many were crossed, why, and how the grades changed. 

PCGS only knows how to inflate grades, so I have little doubt that any coins that changed grades went up.  Are you sure your not referencing the Simpson sale?  Heritage sent out an email on that collection as follows.

"Please be advised that Part I of the Bob Simpson Collection recently underwent regrading at PCGS that resulted in a number of changes to the previous certified grade. These changes have been made to the online catalogue but if you are only using the hardcopy catalogue, then you are using outdated information to formulate your bids. Please refer to the online catalogue for the most comprehensive and accurate information."

Edited by Coinbuf

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
591 posts

[Is it within the realm of possibility, gentlemen, that the owner's estate simply wanted to secure not only a second opinion, but an opinion for all time, smacking of cutting-edge, state-of-art, professional grading for their once in a generation offering?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14,945 posts
21 hours ago, Coinbuf said:

PCGS only knows how to inflate grades, so I have little doubt that any coins that changed grades went up.  Are you sure your not referencing the Simpson sale?  Heritage sent out an email on that collection as follows.

"Please be advised that Part I of the Bob Simpson Collection recently underwent regrading at PCGS that resulted in a number of changes to the previous certified grade. These changes have been made to the online catalogue but if you are only using the hardcopy catalogue, then you are using outdated information to formulate your bids. Please refer to the online catalogue for the most comprehensive and accurate information."

Oh, yup, you're right. Simpson sale, not Partrick. Still, a headlining set that got crossed over. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,970 posts
3 minutes ago, physics-fan3.14 said:

Oh, yup, you're right. Simpson sale, not Partrick. Still, a headlining set that got crossed over. 

I'm almost 100% positive that the Simpson collection was already completely in PCGS plastic, not NGC; and not crossed but rather just regraded with many getting higher grades to max out the coins before the auction.  If I am mistaken about his collection being all PCGS holders someone will correct me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
2 2