• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1970 quarter error
1 1

49 posts in this topic

Brian, that is exactly how acid reacts to a copper nickel clad coin.  The copper core reacts differently than the copper nickel outer layers, I have seen it happen on dozens of coins.  Your coin is a perfectly normal, but damaged copper nickel clad quarter.  As stated previously, your coin can not be on a silver Canadian quarter because it is struck on a copper nickel clad planchet, which was not produced until 1965.

On 8/7/2020 at 8:27 PM, Modwriter said:

Be careful with ebay. Only buy from a 5 star seller there. Was the $35,000 quarter graded and slabbed by one of the third party grading services? If I was to buy a $35,000 quarter, I would only buy it through a reputable auction house such as Heritage Auctions.

I totally agree. Also, stay away from Etsy, be wary of eBay (consult customer reviews) and exercise caution with anything offered for sale from China. One more thing, if a seller says his coin presented in a fancy case was certified by a Third Party Grading service, don't be afraid to ask him about the grade if he doesn't mention it. 

Please, no. Stop it. The OP’s coin is not a proof and he’s off on a wild goose chase.

9 hours ago, VKurtB said:

Please, no. Stop it. The OP’s coin is not a proof and he’s off on a wild goose chase.

Yep.  And this seems to be an everyday occurrence here lately.

:facepalm:

On 8/7/2020 at 8:26 PM, 1917 said:

So I searched Google and found this article:  https://www.newsmax.com/TheWire/rare-1970-quarter-defect/2016/06/09/id/733033/

Essentially, this is a coin that has raised questions, being a proof 1970 U.S. coin apparently stamped over a 1941 Canadian quarter, and has its legitimacy backed by our own NGC. Perhaps, after more review to be safe, you yourself @Brian478, should consider submitting this coin. 

What I want to know is, if it is legit, how did this error come to be? How did Canadian dies/quarters wind up on the production floor? Was it because some quarters got slipped in with the regular blanks? If so, then how? Why does this coin exist, if it's legit?

Nineteen seventeen hit this nail squarely on the head. These are precisely the questions the answers to which enquiring minds want to know. Nice shot over the bow, 1917!  And I do hope Brian, and, by extension, those whose interest has been piqued get some satisfactory answers.

11 hours ago, VKurtB said:

In all honesty, if the site that posted the pictures of the earlier, NGC-certified specimen did it justice and was a fair representation, it didn't look like a proof either. I would be curious to know what the yield was, i.e., the price actually realized on this item, at the closing gavel. IMNSHO, it has no eye appeal, whatsoever.  And coming from a rank amateur, I believe that carries some weight.😄

It is obvious how these 1970-S quarters came to be. First, ALL (and all means all) 1970-S quarters are proofs, because only proofs were struck as 1970-S quarters. Clearly, some clown, who is probably an ex-employee of the San Francisco Mint, inserted a few similar sized world coins into the planchet flow in the quarter line at San Francisco in 1970. Then the proof quarter design was struck over it. Sounds a little “Dan Carr”, doesn’t it? There is no mystery here, and no non-proof 1970 quarter is, or ever has been, involved. Sheesh!

11 minutes ago, VKurtB said:

It is obvious how these 1970-S quarters came to be. First, ALL (and all means all) 1970-S quarters are proofs, because only proofs were struck as 1970-S quarters. Clearly, some clown, who is probably an ex-employee of the San Francisco Mint, inserted a few similar sized world coins into the planchet flow in the quarter line at San Francisco in 1970. Then the proof quarter design was struck over it. Sounds a little “Dan Carr”, doesn’t it? There is no mystery here, and no non-proof 1970 quarter is, or ever has been, involved. Sheesh!

Not trying to be flippant here, but how does an ex-employee gain access to a federal facility -- or is he now an ex-employee who committed the dastardly act as an employee?

4 hours ago, Quintus Arrius said:

Not trying to be flippant here, but how does an ex-employee gain access to a federal facility -- or is he now an ex-employee who committed the dastardly act as an employee?

The latter. It is 50 years ago now, after all. By the way, the current seller of the 1970-S quarter has been trying to sell it off and on for over four years now. No takers. His expertise is getting “free media” coverage every time he relists the thing.

Yes, Q, it’s 55 years since you became so disenchanted.  You’ve missed a lot.

Edited by VKurtB

On 8/9/2020 at 11:36 AM, Alex in PA. said:

Yep.  And this seems to be an everyday occurrence here lately.

:facepalm:

If you think it’s every day HERE, you should see it over at CoinTalk. It’s a cesspool of newbie misinformation. 

46 minutes ago, VKurtB said:

If you think it’s every day HERE, you should see it over at CoinTalk. It’s a cesspool of newbie misinformation. 

Just left from there.  There's a nutcase who can't take no for an answer.  He calls this ruined coin a 1909 S VDB found in the wild.  You can't even see anything it's so worn.   Everyone tried to tell him it's a 1919 S but no way Jose.  I think it's the season for this.  Did you get the PM I sent you.  I an find no bank in Lock Haven or Mill Hall witha coin shortage.  In fact when I asked at Jersey Shore Bank the woman said:  "Are you kidding?"  Very strange.

Edited by Alex in PA.

4 minutes ago, Alex in PA. said:

Just left from there.  There's a nutcase who can't take no for an answer.  He calls this ruined coin a 1909 S VDB found in the wild.  You can't even see anything it's so worn.   Everyone tried to tell him it's a 1919 S but now way Jose.  I think it's the season for this.  Did you get the PM I sent you.  I an find no bank in Lock Haven or Mill Hall witha coin shortage.  In fact when I asked at Jersey Shore Bank the woman said:  "Are you kidding?"  Very strange.

Upstate PA is like nowhere else. Great country.

I like it and with what's going in the big cities makes me thankful I live in a small Pennsylvania town.  I did like the many trips I made to Harrisburg and through on the way to Gettysburg.  BTW:  Pennsylvania will miss you when you're gone.  But Alabama - 'Roll Tide!'

33 minutes ago, Alex in PA. said:

Just left from there.  There's a nutcase who can't take no for an answer.  He calls this ruined coin a 1909 S VDB found in the wild.  You can't even see anything it's so worn.   Everyone tried to tell him it's a 1919 S but no way Jose.  I think it's the season for this.  Did you get the PM I sent you.  I an find no bank in Lock Haven or Mill Hall witha coin shortage.  In fact when I asked at Jersey Shore Bank the woman said:  "Are you kidding?"  Very strange.

I saw that last night. Still flailing away? I guess I'll go over there for entertainment.

29 minutes ago, Alex in PA. said:

I like it and with what's going in the big cities makes me thankful I live in a small Pennsylvania town.  I did like the many trips I made to Harrisburg and through on the way to Gettysburg.  BTW:  Pennsylvania will miss you when you're gone.  But Alabama - 'Roll Tide!'

I don’t have a lot of extended family, but that I do have remain in PA. I used to live in Amish country between Lancaster and Reading, and loved it there. I could literally leave my doors unlocked there. My late mother was born there, and her father got around by horse and buggy.

I am mostly going to miss the very active in-person coin auction scene here. I have built my collection mostly that way. 

Edited by VKurtB

1 minute ago, VKurtB said:

I don’t have a lot of extended family, but that I do have remain in PA. I used to live in Amish country between Lancaster and Reading, and loved it there. I could literally leave my doors unlocked there. My late mother was born there, and her father got around by horse and buggy.

Oh that is beautiful country and when I'd pass through I would always stop and shop at the Amish places.  There's a lot of history in that area.  When I first came back from Alaska I lived in Bernville in Berks county  I never locked my door either; even when I'd go out shopping.  I rented a nice hilltop house from some religious people.  Not Amish but they dressed like them but liked big pickup trucks and cell phones.  Yes, it is nice in those  areas; peaceful and quiet.

6 hours ago, VKurtB said:

Has it been that long? My wife informs me I will be 69 next month. (I remember being 67, but have no memory of 68.) I have been telling people for the past two years I am 70 -- and they say, "You look pretty good for 70." A Mint State 70 sounds pretty good, too. What's all this gotta do with 1970-S proof quarters? Nothing.

7 hours ago, VKurtB said:

The latter. It is 50 years ago now, after all. By the way, the current seller of the 1970-S quarter has been trying to sell it off and on for over four years now. No takers. His expertise is getting “free media” coverage every time he relists the thing.

6 hours ago, Conder101 said:

Uh Oh, memories going.  :)

Imagine that! I am 68. I remember becoming 67; I don't remember becoming 68, i.e., ...the past 11 months. Incredible. "Mother of mercy. Is this the end of Rico?" (Edward G. Robinson, Little Caesar - 1932)