• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cleaning/Brush Marks?

11 posts in this topic

At the risk of posting another stupid thread I am looking for others take on this coin. Would you consider these lines as the coin had been cleaned? It is in a 2x2 but they appear on the coin to me. The "crack" going through the head I believe is on the 2x2 but the rest I think is on the coin. There is some markings on around the edge on the reverse as well.

20200802_190030.jpg

20200802_190134.jpg

It's pretty hard to differentiate between what's on the holder and what's on the coin, but this coin looks mighty authentic. What I believe you re referring to are the lines produced during the planchet's creation. I have no idea why someone would clean a coin like this anyway.

@Big Nub numismatics I could be wrong. The marks I am looking at are around the edge and between the T and Y and down from there. It could very well just be the 2x2 it's in, but wanted others take just to be sure. I understand the coin holds very little value and could agree with not knowing why someone would clean it in the first place. This was the way I received it so wanted to double check.

Yes, I should have already taken it out of the 2x2. I know that can cause issues seeing things, I just try not doing it as  I try to minimize handling any coins as much as possible.

Anyhow, after removing the 2x2, these pics still show some of what I was referring too but they don't look nearly as bad now. 

20200802_213823.jpg

20200802_213852.jpg

I see the lines, but I am not sure they are from cleaning. They could just be from normal jostling during sorting, shipping, etc. (Especially if the coin was lightly circulated.)

Thanks for the input all. I wasn't sure if maybe it was just normal dings and nicks, possible die polish lines,, or what. But it was just looking off to me. So that's why I was thinking possibly cleaned.

And to me even if the coin is only worth a couple bucks, I wouldn't want it to have been cleaned (improperly) and diminish it further.