• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Simpson
1 1

23 posts in this topic

Simpson, whose collection is ranked by Professional Coin Grading Service as one of the best ever amassed, is deaccessioning selections from that collection beginning Sept. 17, 2020, and continuing into 2021. 

"Important Selections from The Bob R. Simpson Collection, Part I" will include some of the most significant U.S. coins spanning the 18th century to the 20th century. The first sale, and those to follow, will take place exclusively through Heritage Auctions, the world's leading numismatic dealer and auctioneer.

what do you think - ready to take out a second mortgage?  Will Hanson scarf up a few? Anyone going to preview these in person? Should be a fun Auction.

Maybe disposing of duplicates?

A change in collecting focus?

Could be financially motivated but I doubt it.  Based upon the reports I have read of his collection, it's a small proportion value wise of his holdings.  When I first saw it earlier this week, my first thought was that he was bailing out due to anticipation of noticeably lower prices due to current events.  But after looking at many of the coins, I don't think so.

37 minutes ago, World Colonial said:

Could be financially motivated but I doubt it.  Based upon the reports I have read of his collection, it's a small proportion value wise of his holdings.  When I first saw it earlier this week, my first thought was that he was bailing out due to anticipation of noticeably lower prices due to current events.  But after looking at many of the coins, I don't think so.

I had the same initial thought, but discounted it later. A little purging now and then is good for a collection.

Of the 349 lots, I consider the 1894-S dime and maybe the 1827 quarter elite but not any others.  Next are the two $50 slugs and the capped head quarter eagles.  A lot of nice coins but mostly conditionally scarce or near it.  I also read he was a big collector of patterns but don't have a similar opinion of these coins some others do.

1 hour ago, World Colonial said:

I have read that he is going through a nasty divorce and assets must be sold.  I found it interesting that with his close relationship to Legend that he chose Heritage, got a better deal perhaps?

18 minutes ago, Coinbuf said:

I have read that he is going through a nasty divorce and assets must be sold.  I found it interesting that with his close relationship to Legend that he chose Heritage, got a better deal perhaps?

This would be a good reason.  Agree he probably got better terms.  Don't know who is better at getting better prices but wouldn't think it makes any difference here.

There's a (supposedly) Strickland 1795 dollar in there too, not sure if that's considered "elite". The auction description calls it "partially prooflike", which made me chuckle a little, given past discussions on here. Simpson has owned it for less than five years (Pogue, 09/2015, $705,000).

I'm cashing in all my assets for a down payment on the 1894-S.

2 hours ago, kbbpll said:

There's a (supposedly) Strickland 1795 dollar in there too, not sure if that's considered "elite". The auction description calls it "partially prooflike", which made me chuckle a little, given past discussions on here. Simpson has owned it for less than five years (Pogue, 09/2015, $705,000).

I'm cashing in all my assets for a down payment on the 1894-S.

No 1795 dollar is elite by my standards.  I'll consider a few of the best 1794 dollars to be so because the coin is at least somewhat scarce and has one of the highest profiles in US coinage but the 1795 is common.  It's only "grade rare" or rare as a variety, which isn't unusual at all.

The 1894-S dime I presume is a consensus elite coin.  It's been one of the highest profile US coins since it was discovered.  Coins like this 1795 dollar have current perception as a result of the financialization of the "hobby".  This is evident in prior prices before coins were widely bought as "investments" starting in the 1970's.  "Partially prooflike" = marketing. 

The only reason I used the term elite is under the assumption that the OP was using verbiage from Heritage.  Looking at the lots, I wouldn't describe what I saw to be "some of the most significant U.S. coins spanning the 18th century to the 20th century" except with the few examples I gave.  It's an exaggeration if applied more broadly that that.

Looking over the lots, there are a lot of really pretty coins in really high grades. These are probably near the top of the census and thus conditionally rare, but most of the coins in Part I seem to be common dates and issues. 

https://www.ha.com/c/search-results.zx?N=3183+792+4294945101+&limitTo=all&ic5=CatalogHome-ActionArea-Search-071515

There will be some great coins that should go for big bucks - he is selling half his collection in multiple parts. 

What a shame.

Edited by Zebo

On 7/31/2020 at 4:08 PM, World Colonial said:

No 1795 dollar is elite by my standards.  I'll consider a few of the best 1794 dollars to be so because the coin is at least somewhat scarce and has one of the highest profiles in US coinage but the 1795 is common.  It's only "grade rare" or rare as a variety, which isn't unusual at all.

The 1894-S dime I presume is a consensus elite coin.  It's been one of the highest profile US coins since it was discovered.  Coins like this 1795 dollar have current perception as a result of the financialization of the "hobby".  This is evident in prior prices before coins were widely bought as "investments" starting in the 1970's.  "Partially prooflike" = marketing. 

The only reason I used the term elite is under the assumption that the OP was using verbiage from Heritage.  Looking at the lots, I wouldn't describe what I saw to be "some of the most significant U.S. coins spanning the 18th century to the 20th century" except with the few examples I gave.  It's an exaggeration if applied more broadly that that.

Valid observation. You're not going to sell this piece, at auction, by referring to it as just another scrawny eagle, hence the marketing blurb.

There are some rather beautiful coins and beauty is, as always, in the eye of the looker.  Yes, I agree, as with all there's the hype but every auction and sale has it.  I have no time for 'Partially Prooflike' or 'Prooflike'.  These terms are used to boost the asking price of what is, in my opinion, nothing more than a good looking Business Strike.  If it's not Proof - it ain't.

:slapfight:

15 hours ago, Alex in PA. said:

There are some rather beautiful coins and beauty is, as always, in the eye of the looker.  Yes, I agree, as with all there's the hype but every auction and sale has it.  I have no time for 'Partially Prooflike' or 'Prooflike'.  These terms are used to boost the asking price of what is, in my opinion, nothing more than a good looking Business Strike.  If it's not Proof - it ain't.

:slapfight:

Truer words have never been spoken.

Edited by Quintus Arrius
Missing letter.

18 minutes ago, RWB said:

OJ probably couldn't enjoy the collection much from his cell.

Realistically speaking, if it were his a). It would have been seized a long, long time ago, and 2). If it were sold, the proceeds would be seized to satisfy that $33 million still outstanding judgment.  I am not sure what I would do in a situation like that.

Edited by Quintus Arrius
Re-wording.

Sportscasting August 2020

"The former NFL star occasionally holds memorabilia autograph sessions, details TMZ, such as the not-so-secret gatherings he held in a Vegas hotel in 2017 when he signed memorabilia for a couple of hours.

Sessions like these provide income. However, they may also be a target for seizure as Simpson still owes several million dollars in judgments to Nicole Brown and Ron Goldman’s families. Simpson has generous pensions from the NFL and Screen Actors Guild, details Town & Country. He makes money from TV interviews, too.

And don’t forget: Now that Simpson is in his seventies, Social Security also contributes to his monthly income. All in all, the former athlete receives a tidy amount of money each month. A lot of it is not in danger of being seized to pay those judgments."