• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Too Fragile to Holder

13 posts in this topic

I sent a Mary I groat to our host some time ago and it was returned in a flip as "too fragile to holder". The flan is very thin. At a show I took it to the PCGS table and the kid looked at me like I was speaking Klingon. The ANACS people were nice enough to give it a look, but had the same response as NGC. Any ideas, I would like to get it in a slab? 

ATS a member has show a few coins/medals that have been damaged (bent) from being slabbed because the metal was too soft or thin.  I think you'd be doing a disservice to yourself by having it slabbed, instead I would look for a capsule holder like a kointain, airtight or similar product.

For some coins PCGS uses two clear discs that hold the coin in between and then the discs are placed in a gasket. I assume this would work for fragile coins. I seem to recall seeing something similar with an NGC slab, but I'm not 100% positive. 

Japan.thumb.jpg.bd69620925e5fd17785b1c286a8feecb.jpg

4 minutes ago, gmarguli said:

For some coins PCGS uses two clear discs that hold the coin in between and then the discs are placed in a gasket. I assume this would work for fragile coins. I seem to recall seeing something similar with an NGC slab, but I'm not 100% positive. 

Japan.thumb.jpg.bd69620925e5fd17785b1c286a8feecb.jpg

This seems possible. NGC couldn't do it. Thanks all. 

This is what you needed :)  

From the Miscellaneous section of the slabbook

I’m still not sure why this next slab was issued.  Some have told me that PCGS did this briefly during the period between the discovery of the counterfeit slabs and the introduction of PCGS 2.  I find that hard to swallow because if I had recently heard stories about counterfeit holders and then saw a slab like this one  I don’t think I would be too sure about the authenticity of THIS slab.  Personally I think PCGS just temporarily ran out of cent sized holders and used a larger size instead.  Then they used a white foam ring to fill the extra space.  I have seen only two or three of these.

pcgs foarm insert.JPG

19 hours ago, Conder101 said:

This is what you needed :)  

From the Miscellaneous section of the slabbook

I’m still not sure why this next slab was issued.  Some have told me that PCGS did this briefly during the period between the discovery of the counterfeit slabs and the introduction of PCGS 2.  I find that hard to swallow because if I had recently heard stories about counterfeit holders and then saw a slab like this one  I don’t think I would be too sure about the authenticity of THIS slab.  Personally I think PCGS just temporarily ran out of cent sized holders and used a larger size instead.  Then they used a white foam ring to fill the extra space.  I have seen only two or three of these.

pcgs foarm insert.JPG

That would do it. I may try PCGS again, the kid I talked to at the PCGS table was probably a shoe clerk the week before. Many thanks. 

Did you notice the smiley?  PCGS ISN'T going to do that for you.  That was a brief one time fix they did for a problem back around 1989. It isn't something they offer to do.

37 minutes ago, Conder101 said:

Did you notice the smiley?  PCGS ISN'T going to do that for you.  That was a brief one time fix they did for a problem back around 1989. It isn't something they offer to do.

I did; however, I thought there might be a small chance that they would place my groat inside a foam ring before inserting into a holder - no way? 

You say you talked to NGC at a show.  Have you tried the Ask NGC forum here?  Explain what you have, that you have been told it is too fragile to holder, and ask if there is anyway it could be put in a foam insert and then holdered.  I'm thinking use the foam insert from an airtite to hold the coin and the the prongs hold the outer edge of the foam ring so as to not put pressure on the coin.

Not to put them down but often the TPG representatives at a show are there and trained to just accept submissions.  They may or may not be knowledgeable about what can and can't be done in the encapsulation room.

Edited by Conder101

On 7/22/2020 at 12:29 PM, Conder101 said:

You say you talked to NGC at a show.  Have you tried the Ask NGC forum here?  Explain what you have, that you have been told it is too fragile to holder, and ask if there is anyway it could be put in a foam insert and then holdered.  I'm thinking use the foam insert from an airtite to hold the coin and the the prongs hold the outer edge of the foam ring so as to not put pressure on the coin.

Not to put them down but often the TPG representatives at a show are there and trained to just accept submissions.  They may or may not be knowledgeable about what can and can't be done in the encapsulation room.

It was the PCGS rep that I talked to at the show. NGC was the TPG that sent back my coin. Still, I will try again with both. Thanks for the encouragement.