• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cherrypickers' Guide 6th Edition Volume II
1 1

29 posts in this topic

Use it for what? To lean their phones up against? Books cost something. YouRube videos made by charlatans are free. 

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

An email today from Dennis Tucker to we members of the Rittenhouse Society indicates that the new edition of the CPG Vol II will not come out until summer. Whitman has been unable to bring on new editorial staff due to the pandemic, and this certainly has contributed to the delay.

On 2/21/2022 at 11:19 AM, GoldFinger1969 said:

People here claim to have used the book to find some valuable coins in otherwise junk change.

...as always, one gets out of something based on what one puts into it...except for gov't subsidies....due diligence usually pays off, i am aware of collectors using this book n DWL's variety plus to make literally thousands of dollars...rarer varieties are extremely hot rite now especially in the bust n liberty seated series....

The last edition was widely used in metal detecting.....The big spiral binding was great for diggin' up beer can tabs, dental retainers, etc. Or so I am told by the "internet."

The CPG’s are a must have.  If you can see and are not otherwise a complete goofball there are literally hundreds of coins that are easily obtainable for pocket change.  I’m surprised (not really) by some of the comments here though considering the source it’s expected.  With just the book, I’d Cherry picked my first coin in under 3 weeks.  Paid $60, later sold for $3,549.  Thought that was interesting, so Cherried another, paid $28, sold $3,500.  I went on to find approx 20 more of that variety before deciding to focus on a different coin.  Had similar results with that coin.  Cherry picked a few Lincoln varieties right out the gate, paid $46 for the pair.  Sold both for a total of $2,250.  Best was a pick at $5 free shipping.  That coin sold for $4,500.  I could go on and on but in my opinion these books are great fun.  I don’t play coins much these days as I’ve lost interest but to say these books are anything other than amazing is just plain stupid.

On 2/22/2022 at 10:16 AM, RWB said:

That's what the books are for. Even nicer when you can pick then out of a crabby dealer's stock, too!

OK, So then not just for beer can tabs?  I don’t personally know any crabby dealers but know a few jerks.  I can say however, that I’d picked just about all of them from coin dealers at one time or another including JTS which was strange but I did include the other CPG book which he had for sale.

The description is for Volume I, not the Volume II book everyone has been awaiting. It's still good reading, but V II has been announced more times than a dog has fleas.

On 9/2/2022 at 1:15 PM, DWLange said:

The description is for Volume I, not the Volume II book everyone has been awaiting. It's still good reading, but V II has been announced more times than a dog has fleas.

Dave-  Maybe I'm misunderstanding.  This is what I'm referring to.

1136541693_ScreenShot2022-09-02at9_08_45PM.thumb.png.922c4be905d05bfdee68854347581cf2.png

I've furnished many new varieties to the CPG from NGC's VarietyPlus listings, but I can't do anything to speed its publication. We've all been waiting for years.

On 9/5/2022 at 9:46 AM, Quintus Arrius said:

It's a legal bank holiday. Hopefully, not to many people will see this...

Cherry-picker? What does that mean exactly?  :roflmao:

Come on man, you're from NY.  You know what that means!!

On 9/5/2022 at 9:52 AM, tj96 said:

Come on man, you're from NY.  You know what that means!!

Moderators, how could you possibly allow this?  This is a public forum!  I am absolutely positively NOT going to dignify this with a reply.

On 9/26/2022 at 11:59 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

Moderators, how could you possibly allow this?  This is a public forum!  I am absolutely positively NOT going to dignify this with a reply.

Did I insult you because you're from New York??  Lighten up sweetheart, I'm from New York also!

On 9/27/2022 at 9:07 AM, tj96 said:

Did I insult you because you're from New York??  Lighten up sweetheart, I'm from New York also!

Funny you should mention that.  [Hey, everybody! Disregard what I've written!]  So happens, just this morning I received the very latest word chosen by Merriam-Webster for discussion:  "cherry-picker."  I've gotten my mind out of the sewer long enough to learn 🍒 cherry picking is choosing the best of the best--and that a cherry-picking machine is so named because its arm extends high enough to get the cherries, not necessarily the best, clear out of reach. My sincerest apologies!  🐓