• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Grading is Subjective

23 posts in this topic

1921-1-Peace-Dollar-High-Relief-NGC-MS65-Scarce-Plus-Grade-CH-Original-Toning thumbnail 1                                  I understand, even though I'm kinda new to serious collecting, that coin grading is subjective. I was looking on ebay for a 1921 Peace Dollar. I ran across this coin (pictured), and I am wondering how this is an MS 65+. I just had a few Peace dollars graded and my 1928 came back graded as a AU 55 with far more detail than this 1921 MS-65+? My coin reference for the subject coin is 5895487-001. I'm not upset, but I am very curious. Thanks for your input; Frank

15937870463896194250737033115154.jpg

NGC fraud coin! (2).jpg

Edited by Conrad57
Add photo

10 minutes ago, Conrad57 said:

1921-1-Peace-Dollar-High-Relief-NGC-MS65-Scarce-Plus-Grade-CH-Original-Toning thumbnail 1                                  I understand, even though I'm kinda new to serious collecting, that coin grading is subjective. I was looking on ebay for a 1921 Peace Dollar. I ran across this coin (pictured), and I am wondering how this is an MS 65+. I just had a few Peace dollars graded and my 1928 came back graded as a AU 55 with far more detail than this 1921 MS-65+? My coin reference for the subject coin is 5895487-001. I'm not upset, but I am very curious. Thanks for your input; Frank

the image is rather small, so when I blow it up, it looks blurry; could you provide a bigger image? perhaps post it in an individual post in this thread...

secondly, yes, grading is subjective. That's why you can "challenge" the grade of slabbed coins by resubmitting them for review. Check out NGC's various tiers; there is an option for seeing if the grade is to high, and if it is too low. I don't know how often they actually change the grade, but obviously it can happen

also, one thing to remember is while a coin may have wear, and thus be an AU, it can have better eye appeal than MS coins at times

WHOOSH!

I would not pay 65 money for it.

It is extremely poorly struck at best and I do not like the tarnish. I do not collect these and am not an expert on holders. With that said I would ask someone with more knowledge to look at it to make sure it is authentic.

It's authentic - the same coin is in cert lookup images. I can't grade heavily toned coins from images and I imagine it's difficult even in-hand. My understanding is that toning/tarnish, no matter how ugly it is, doesn't, or shouldn't, affect the technical grade. Yours may have a better strike and eye appeal (subjective), but it's clearly AU.

kbbpll

"It's authentic - the same coin is in cert lookup images. I can't grade heavily toned coins from images and I imagine it's difficult even in-hand. My understanding is that toning/tarnish, no matter how ugly it is, doesn't, or shouldn't, affect the technical grade. Yours may have a better strike and eye appeal (subjective), but it's clearly AU."

I did look it up, so I see the NGC grade.  My question is, Why, would a coin with so much obvious wear be graded MS 65+?  I could care less about tarnish etc....  I've seen much worse tarishing and the coin grade is fine, but this one here boggles the mind.    

If the supposed 65+ were a weak strike, the rims would also not have struck up. I have lightly worn Peaces with no rims, just slight bevels between the milling and surface; terrible strikes were common in certain issues.

Put bluntly, I think that 65+ grade is *spoon*ed up. That doesn't look like strike weakness to me around her earlocks; that looks like wear. I'd probably call that an F-VF obverse and I certainly wouldn't pay better than F money for it. And that's giving zero consideration to the tarnish, except to note that: if it's uncirculated, how come the tarnish remains stronger in some of the protected areas?

There is no way for us to even begin to form an opinion on whether the coin is an AU or MS, without seeing a picture of the reverse. Also, keep in mind that 1921 Peace dollars are famous for having very weak strikes.

Edited by Just Bob

11 minutes ago, Just Bob said:

There is no way for us to even begin to form an opinion on whether the coin is an AU or MS, without seeing a picture of the reverse. Also, keep in mind that 1921 Peace dollars are famous for having very weak strikes.

Here ya go Bob, I thought this would be very obvious with the obverse picture.  The 65+ you can see it clearly has no hair line detail!  Wear on the reverse as well.  When I think 65+ along with the established protocol for this grade on the older coins, I'm thinking this should have far more detail all around. To me it's obvious, apparently to others, not so much.  Not my coin, not my problem, having said that, I still believe it be a really BAD example of a 65+ coin, I agree with JKK on his observation of V to VF

1921 Peace Dollar 65+ Reverse  (2).jpg

I have no real input as for the grade. I just wanted to say that after seeing this, I have a I believe 1900 that looks way better than that MS65+ ( In my humble opinion) so it makes me want to send mine in ( insert sarcasm). 

On 7/3/2020 at 10:54 AM, Conrad57 said:

Eye appeal?  Doesn't have any eye appeal.....well, to me.  And the guy wants $2450 for it.

that's because it's a 1921 high relief... pretty rare coin in the Peace Dollar series... anyhow I'm out of ideas for why it's such a high grade...

Each of these Peace dollars is graded MS65 or MS66. All show flatness and extreme lack of detail on the highest points, which looks very much like wear.

It is true that the OP's coin shows very little detail in the hair, but I believe it is merely an example of an especially weak strike, and is technically uncirculated. Just my, opinion, of course.

1640151_Full_Obv.jpg?q=05102019175112857689_Full_Obv.jpg?q=08222014171514709525_Full_Obv.jpg?q=082220141715141023554_Full_Obv.jpg?q=07222018220533

I get that the flatness can be attributable to strike weakness. It's right at the center of the design. What I don't get is how there are even rims if the strike is that weak. I've seen rimless Peaces that had fuller central device detail than these. I realize it's just possible that professional graders who do this every day might know more than I do, but really I'm just seeking to understand: how do we even get a rim with that much central device detail missing?

On 7/3/2020 at 12:25 PM, Conrad57 said:

My question is, Why, would a coin with so much obvious wear be graded MS 65+?

Because there is no obvious wear.  The lask of detail is because the central portions didn't strike up.  You are making the mistake of comparing a low relief coin (the 28) with a high relief coin.

And the detail loss isn't really the result of a weak strike

On 7/3/2020 at 1:03 PM, JKK said:

If the supposed 65+ were a weak strike, the rims would also not have struck up.

The strike is fine, the problem is in the design itself.  The relief was just too high to be struck up with the standard pressure for dollar coins.  Coins struck with even higher pressure fill better, but caused damage to the presses and greatly shortened die life.

The beginning of the MS65+ grade on the referenced coin begins with an almost complete lack of contact marks, unlike the AU55 example. When you see a coin virtually without contact marks, but WITH what looks like wear, you're not really seeing wear, but a weak strike.

Eye appeal?  Doesn't have any eye appeal.....well, to me.  And the guy wants $2450 for it.

727381146_NGCfraudcoin!(2).thumb.jpg.1bc47a76612c0e01ce6786cbbae2718b.jpg 345717261_1921PeaceDollar65.jpg.af5f0f41cfcf5ca3e6ccafac55409372.jpg

That appears to me to be an extremely attractive '21.

23 minutes ago, James_OldeTowne said:

That appears to me to be an extremely attractive '21.

Yes, to some, that kind of toning is "eye appeal". But not to me. I dislike that kind of toning because I know how to produce it artificially. It's not that difficult. Hence, why pay for what I can make if I cared to? I won't, therefore I will never own a coin like this one. "Eye appeal" gets into a coin's numeric grade, but it is subjective. I refuse to pay extra for that which I do not like. No one can force your eye to have appeal for an attribute. I do admire the bejabbers out of the coin for its lack of contact marks.

Edited by VKurtB

5 hours ago, ilLOminatus said:

For eye appeal NGC uses the star designation, the + is for something that is above xx grade but doesn't make it to the xx+1 grade

Not just the star. It gets solidly into all the MS numeric grades, as well.