• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Small coin illustration project - any members interested?

8 posts in this topic

I have a small coin illustration project and hope that an artistically talented member might like to complete it. The task is to recreate the three coin drawings shown in their original form (below), as much nicer looking clear B&W obverse and reverse illustrations for publication. There would be 3 obverses - all nearly identical except for the hole shape, and 3 reverses much like the half and quarter, below. The drawings would be used in an article I am writing and possibly published later in a book. The artist would receive full credit in print along with a negotiated fee. Let me know if anyone out there is interested. Here's the original:

King drawing BW sm.jpg

Edited by RWB

Are these Eastman Johnson drawings? I noticed that you got an image credit in the latest BCCS journal for similar holed one, two, and five cents, drawn by Johnson.

57 minutes ago, kbbpll said:

Are these Eastman Johnson drawings? I noticed that you got an image credit in the latest BCCS journal for similar holed one, two, and five cents, drawn by Johnson.

Haven't seen the BCCS Journal. The Johnson drawings are his originals that I copied at NARA.

No, the drawing dates from 1851 and was made by a member of Congress. The photo of the original is not very good, but the original is equally rough.

37 minutes ago, RWB said:

Haven't seen the BCCS Journal. The Johnson drawings are his originals that I copied at NARA.

No, the drawing dates from 1851 and was made by a member of Congress. The photo of the original is not very good, but the original is equally rough.

The article is on the pattern collection of Charles Barber. I had just read it and the similarities with your 1851 drawings are obvious. Was the 1851 inspiration also "to remedy the inconvenience of similarity"?

I can't believe Johnson's below are a drawing and not actual coins. I suppose you're looking for something similar.

IMG_5199.JPG

The 1851 suggestions were to alleviate the shortage of small silver coins caused by the advance of silver prices compared to gold. By June 1851 silver coins were at a premium of 2% and rising. Exports of half dollars were around $200,000 per week.

Johnson's drawings show his idea to "remedy the inconvenience of similarity in our small coin."

Edited by RWB

My understanding is that the shapes of the holes in 1879 were intended to distinguish the denominations (for the blind perhaps). So it seems like the intent was the same in 1851 as far as the holes, otherwise why put holes in them?

Hope you can find an artist.

In 1851, the holes were a way to increase the diameter of small gold coins. Distinguishing them in the dark was a subordinate reason. Imagine if we had once had gold half-dollars and even gold quarters....!

The article is about half complete in draft....actually, more like in bottle or can - the draft and brewery places are mostly closed.

:)

Edited by RWB