• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New 2021 Morgan and Peace Dollar Legislation Needs Your Support
1 1

39 posts in this topic

• Administrator

If Congress authorizes them, new coins would celebrate 100 years since the passing of the torch between two popular silver dollar series. Read more

Hello, it was like not sure but 6-7 months ago.. the same request.. but the bill in congress was H.R.-3757 and a couple weeks ago it had I think 67 co-sponsors. Now this new coin act bill H.R.-6192 has 16 co-sponsors.. so in our Congress if a bill doesn't get the needed co-sponsors in a certain amount of time it gets trashed?  I called I think 3 of representatives from my state Minnesota.. way back this winter but none of them had co-sponsored as of two weeks ago when the bill was still H.R.-3757....I think the bill needs 237 co-sponsors to move on in the process.. ok..over and out.. stay healthy.. 

1 hour ago, physics-fan3.14 said:

What if we think this is a silly idea and want to write our congressmen and tell them to vote against this nonsense. Do you have a template for that? 

Agreed. A silly and wasteful idea -- especially for the Morgan dollar. The 1921 Peace dollar can be handled in the same way as 1916 silver coins with no legislation required.

Making a "1921-2021" Peace dollar in high relief would simply be another sop to greed and "honors" nothing but a transient design wanted by President Harding for his political ends.

These things are always billed as collectables but they almost never achieve much value or collectability because there's never any chance of them being rare. Rather ironically, things made to be collectables are almost always not very desirable as collectables. They're never truly rare. They just become a box you have to check - "yeah, I got one of those, too."

It's the things like the limited-run "Emergency Issue" P-mint Silver Eagles that are interesting and fun to look back on and not the "Special, Enhanced Reverse Proofs."

I really don't think the Mint will get this right.  There's been a lot of bad stuff coming out of there these past years.

I don't see the need for a 2021 version of the Morgan or Peace dollar the original coins are available in huge quantities and every dealer has examples almost every collector can afford. The reason I collect them is because they are no longer produced they are part of our history. A 2021 version will be another flat looking design that will be over priced first by the mint then by the shopping networks and large coin dealers that will end up with the majority of the coins and the grading services will benefit from the thousands of coins sent to them for grading. I see no real benefit to collectors. What is next cheap colorized versions like the shopping networks pass off as rare coins. Leave the coins in the past where they belong as part of our great numismatic history.

Here is what it would accomplish:

Depending upon the mintage and how it is released, another speculative opportunity for flippers.

More "product" for dealers to sell and grading fees for TPG

In a stagnant market, it will redirect spending from other coins resulting in weaker prices for alternatives collectors otherwise would have bought.

Like other US Mint NCLT since maybe the late 1980's or early 1990's, it won't do anything for collecting.

8 hours ago, Rodent said:

Hello, it was like not sure but 6-7 months ago.. the same request.. but the bill in congress was H.R.-3757 and a couple weeks ago it had I think 67 co-sponsors. Now this new coin act bill H.R.-6192 has 16 co-sponsors.. so in our Congress if a bill doesn't get the needed co-sponsors in a certain amount of time it gets trashed?  I called I think 3 of representatives from my state Minnesota.. way back this winter but none of them had co-sponsored as of two weeks ago when the bill was still H.R.-3757....I think the bill needs 237 co-sponsors to move on in the process.. ok..over and out.. stay healthy.. 

Me too!  Like yelling down a well.

4 hours ago, gmarguli said:

Just what we need, more garbage from the US Mint.

How about instead of them rehashing old designs while at the same time making them look bland and lifeless, we petition the Congress to eliminate the useless cent and the half dollar. And to stop the Mint from producing horrifically PC garbage like the Basketball Hall of Fame coin. And to stop way overcharging for their bullion coins. And to stop producing a zillion varieties of quarters. And to stop producing all the different $1 coins until the BEP stops printing paper dollars. And to update our current designs with something other than polarizing presidents on the obverse. 

There are plenty of Morgan and Peace silver dollars available to occupy the interest of average collectors.  Since these coins are not used for routine purchases,  there is no need for more of them.  Every day is probably an anniversary of something, but let's not further burden numismatists by having to acknowledge each with a commemorative issue.  I'll not be guilty of providing my legislators with any trivial distraction from dealing with the pandemic that has already killed more than 110,000 of us.   JJ Moroney 

On 6/26/2020 at 11:04 AM, Rodent said:

so in our Congress if a bill doesn't get the needed co-sponsors in a certain amount of time it gets trashed?

No it just sits either tabled or "in committee" until the end of that Congress. (Each Congress lasts for two years, and is comprised of two sessions.  This is because the entire house of representatives is up for reelection every two years.  Anything unenacted at the end of the second session dies and has to start over and be reintroduced in the next Congress, if the sponsors chose to do so.)

On 6/26/2020 at 4:07 PM, Revenant said:

It's the things like the limited-run "Emergency Issue" P-mint Silver Eagles that are interesting and fun to look back on and not the "Special, Enhanced Reverse Proofs."

I think the "special enhanced Reverse Proofs" are more legitimate than the Emergency issue" coins that are impossible to be told apart from the none emergency one  except for the label on a holder.  But they are both just a money grab.  One by the government and one by promoters

I didn't like this idea when it was first circulated in the spring of 2019, I didn't like it 6 months ago when they tried again, and I don't likr this attempt either.  I will not ask my representatives to support it, and if I did contact them it would be to ask them to vote against it if it ever comes up..

10 minutes ago, Conder101 said:

I think the "special enhanced Reverse Proofs" are more legitimate than the Emergency issue" coins that are impossible to be told apart from the none emergency one  except for the label on a holder.  But they are both just a money grab.  One by the government and one by promoters

You make a good point, but I feel like the emergency production run at least sprang up / the coins were made organically based on economic events - there's some history there. The reverse proofs from their inception were just "let's make this so we can have something new to hype and sell."

32 minutes ago, 1917 said:

I think they should just start focusing on the upcoming 250th aniversary of our nation's founding... maybe make something decent for once...

That may be quite difficult in this given climate. I agree - I would love to see something special for the anniversary.

Hey you ever go the Canadian Mint web site a scroll through some of the designs they have out for the public.. not to shabby... stay healthy.. have purchased a few of the Canada Mint coinage..like it..

On 6/28/2020 at 4:44 PM, Zebo said:

That may be quite difficult in this given climate.

True you can't honor anybody or event involving important people of the time as most of them owned slaves, they all oppressed women and "Native Americans". Not to mention the nasty things done to people who were loyal to their country.

I just saw today my state Capitol building is flying three flags. The state one over the Senate chamber, the U.S. stars and stripes over the rotunda, and the rainbow "pride" flag over the House chamber. No editorial, you can make up your own.

Sounds like it should be the state capital in Kentucky, tis Summer the darkies are gay.

(Don't shoot the messenger, those are the actual lyrics from My Old Kentucky Home, by Stephen Foster, and it is the state song.  Or at least those were the lyrics before the state legislature changed them to "the people are happy".  I guess they pronounce it "HaPAY, because at the end of the next stanza has to rhyme with "day".  They didn't like the second verse either "The young folks roll on the little cabin floor", because they said it give an impression of poverty.  I don't know what if anything they did about that.)

Here's how I see it, the US Mint is a business that needs to make money. American coin collectors generally are attracted to classic pre-1965 coins and many believe that pretty much all post-1964 coins are junk. When the US Mint comes out with a new design, it gets lamented as being modern computer generated junk; when the US Mint goes back and uses a classic design, there are too many classic designs and we need new designs. The US Mint isn't going to make the entire coin collecting hobby happy regardless of what it does. 

3 hours ago, James_OldeTowne said:

A new design would be much better than rehashing two designs

Maybe they could put the two profiles together, sort of like the 1926 Sesquicentennial 50c or something. That could be cool, or really horrible...

5 hours ago, olympicsos said:

Here's how I see it, the US Mint is a business that needs to make money. American coin collectors generally are attracted to classic pre-1965 coins and many believe that pretty much all post-1964 coins are junk. When the US Mint comes out with a new design, it gets lamented as being modern computer generated junk; when the US Mint goes back and uses a classic design, there are too many classic designs and we need new designs. The US Mint isn't going to make the entire coin collecting hobby happy regardless of what it does. 

Here's a crazy idea for the mint.... Listen to the hobbyists, and make something new that is classical, artistic style.... Why the mint should feel it's only options are to remake past designs, or modern garbage is rather confusing... If it was possible to make nice stuff 100 years ago, it is possible to do it again....

Awwww...."1917" that's just too sensible, reasonable and interesting. (Treasury sees the Mint as a money maker - and they want more money to waste on flyovers of 3 miles of walls, tanks on the Lincoln Memorial and other "goodies.")

4 hours ago, olympicsos said:

Well they do a pretty good job of pleasing nobody. Everything they do feels like a bad gimmick - we literally have colorized coins coming up from the mint next! Even worse, it's a bunch of PC garbage that clearly doesn't appeal to their target audience. The sales figures clearly show this. 

We've got the handicapped basketball player on the 60th (!?!?) anniversary coin, the Africanized version of Liberty, completely unknown Native Americans and their amazing contributions including doing the job they were hired for, innovators like the person who was granted the first patent (a horribly broken system that stifles innovation), first spouses, the Preamble to the Declaration of Independence - Pursuit of Flappinefs (featuring a Teletubby about to swat a butterfly with an olive branch). None of this makes me want to purchase their product. 

We've also got the copper-nickel 50c series that are guaranteed to be worth significantly less that what you paid the second you order them. For what the mint charges, they should be made out of silver. 

Also, I can only assume that whoever picks the designs absolutely hates women, because the designs they pick make the women look like some of the ugliest people ever to walk the face of the earth. 

2 hours ago, 1917 said:

Here's a crazy idea for the mint.... Listen to the hobbyists, and make something new that is classical, artistic style.... Why the mint should feel it's only options are to remake past designs, or modern garbage is rather confusing... If it was possible to make nice stuff 100 years ago, it is possible to do it again....

Different eras have designers of different capabilities and different visions. The only modern outside artist I see that can make the most coin collectors happy is Cassie McFarland, she designed one side of a popular commemorative coin series in 2014 and she's cute. At the same time, hobbyists don't universally agree. 

Edited by olympicsos

21 minutes ago, olympicsos said:

Different eras have designers of different capabilities and different visions. The only modern outside artist I see that can make the most coin collectors happy is Cassie McFarland, she designed one side of a popular commemorative coin series in 2014 and she's cute. At the same time, hobbyists don't universally agree. 

Check out a Krause Standard Catalog of World Coins 2001-Date and look at the designs of other countries. There are tons that blow away what our mint is doing. Very beautiful and detailed work. 

And I personally find the Baseball HOF coin very uninspiring. It's not a bad design or bad looking, but a ball and glove doesn't exactly have a wow factor.