• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Unregistered varieties misprint

3 posts in this topic

Ive got a 1957 D penny - which a know there are literally BILLIONS, what I thought made my coin unique is a misprint. The misprint is in the word “LIBERTY”, there is the number “7” in place of where the “T” should be. The coin is in good condition, in my opinion (but I am no coin expert). There is an attached photo I took of the coin, and the photo is a side by side with another 1957 D penny with no mistake/misprint. The penny with the mistake that I am inquiring about is the penny on the left hand side of the photo. I also attached a zoomed in photo of the “7” that’s in place of the “T”. Thanks so much for looking! 

42AEC8C9-899E-4467-8110-550851ACFEDE.jpeg

60BE4E1E-39AF-4B8E-AAB1-33C571AB6CE8.jpeg

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

Your coin took a hit in circulation, and it pushed the metal into that angle. It wasn't made that way.

I agree, it just has taken a hit. There is no way during the striking of a coin that a different letter or number can appear, it is not possible. Also coins are not "printed", they are struck or minted. Currency is printed.